Allemand Bretty?

Was going to move on some Allemand that I found for a decent price…and then a friend (I absolutely trust this person’s palate) mentioned he had always found the wines to be bretty. I’ve never come across that in tasting notes and am curious if others concur.

Not my experience. There are stories of the Sans Soufre bottling having high risk of a brett bloom, if not stored well along it’s path, but not the regular Reynard and Chaillot bottlings.

I’ve had some older bottles of allemand with brett. But in general allemand is dericious and clean. Just pass along the offer to ol charlie and I’ll take care of it.

I have written a haiku on this site about bretty Alemands released in past four years that I bought and disliked.

Tread cautiously if you have low tolerance for any Band-Aid notes, as I do.

I drink a decent amount of Loire Cab Franc so I’m down to freak the funk. I just can’t hang with the strong diaper notes. I had a 2014 Texier Brezme a few weeks ago that was just straight baby poop. It blew off for the most part after a couple of hours in the decanter, but by that time I had already made the association so I was anticipating the smell every sip, even once it had clearly blown off. Maybe it was stored at room temp at the retailer, dunno.

Anyway, I’m fine with Allemand having some band aid notes as long as it doesn’t veer into the aforementioned fecal funk.

never had a bretty allemand.

Not sure, but that sounds like it could be reduction rather than brett. That’s certainly very common with syrah.

I agree. Brett doesn’t blow off with air exposure.

I’ll take all your allemand!

I am fairly new to Allemand but have opened a 2010 Chaillots at a Nortern Rhone event in NYC there were 3 Chaillots at that dinner of similar age. No Brett I could detect at all. Then at another event someone brought a slightly younger vintage. The 2010 showed gloriously . The lone at the 2nd offline too young but no discernable Brett to me and usually I am pretty sensitive to it. So for the 4 btls I have tried in past year no issues. As for older vintages have no clue
Ymmv

Not sure I’ve had reduction smell like ‘poop’ before. If it’s really ‘sewage-like’, those are usually mercaptans, which do not blow off . . .

Would the variability have to do with which importer is bringing in the wine, or more to do with provenance after purchasing? Or just due to differences in ‘tolerance’ and perhaps therefore in ‘calling it out’?

Cheers.

I enjoyed a 2014 Reynard last week that was clean and beautiful.

Some older Chaillots have a bit of brett…newer vintages are a bit cleaner…although I wish they had a bit in there…

Reynard I think tends to be cleaner…

Agree that brett doesn’t really blow off. Hmmm. Also never associated reductive aromas with barnyard stank - that’s classic brett in my book.

Anyway, sounds like I need to grab these Allemands in the name of science.

Brett and reduction can be very similar in some varieties. It is a cellar condition, not a vineyard condition, so all wines from a producer will be susceptible to it.

Tasting young Northern Rhone’s isn’t fun on the whole. Many reduced wine/reduction.

At Before Fu or After Fu pricing?

To echo, never had a Brett issue with Allemand.

2014 Texier Domaine Pergaud Brezeme a couple months ago also had no Brett. As is typical for the new release, better day 2, and clean.

Also never had an overtly bretty Allemand…

Oh don’t worry. He’d have to pay all the Kermit taxes!