Wine of the Month Club

My wife wants to get someone a “Wine of the Month Club” subscription in the US . She knows nothing of the person wine likes/dislikes-but will try to find out . Any recommended places to check? Doesn’t make sense to me , but just going along for the ride .

My advice as someone who has received a “gift” subscription of WOMC would be to avoid it. Just get them a nice bottle if you’re stuck with the idea of wine as a gift. None of them are really worth it. Since you don’t know their preferences, what about a gift card from Wine.com/Total Wine/Some other retailer near you?

Correction . My wife is not getting one for someone. She’s asking for a friend . I feel better .

For these subscription clubs, likes or dislikes do not matter, especially as tasting notes on the specific wines are almost non-existent.

+1. My dad got one for me and I ended up with a bunch of plonk.

Noting the above, “The Plonk Wine Club” is actually pretty interesting. (Not certain this is the actual name, but “Plonk” is in it.)

I’ve never done one, but if i did it would probably go through a respectable retailer instead of one of the club-only options. Benchmark wine and bounty hunter would be two to look into. Bounty hunter has quarterly options instead of monthly to help reduce the cost. You can specify what you want with different club options and also can always call and talk to someone with specific requests.

Here is a previous thread on the Gary V. / Wine Library wine club: