2017 Cayuse Impressions???

I am finding no data on the wines and would love to here impressions of the vintage before I buy a bunch.

Thanks,

John

The 2017 vintage from Cayuse shipped back in October so that could be the reason why you aren’t finding many impressions of the vintage outside of reviews from folks like Jeb Dunnuck, the WA/WS/WE, etc. I typically will sacrifice a GOK or Cailloux over the holidays early but the rest of them are put to bed for a while.

Perhaps someone who tasted at the release party will chime in. I wasn’t able to attend, so mine are in the offsite for a while.

To soon for much to appear. Most have not been shipped. The ones that have only arrived a month ago. I personally don’t touch them for at least 5 years.

Perhaps someone who tasted at the release party will chime in. I wasn’t able to attend, so mine are in the offsite for a while.

That would be helpful and great idea. Thanks

I read this as Caymus and was really confused.

So I was at the release party but cannot find my notes (we just moved house, so things are even more disorganized than usual!). My vague memory is that the Tempranillo was the most impressive of the lot (and they were all, as usual, impressive). The Tempranillo had more complexity and depth. I also think I liked the Cailloux a bit more than the other single vineyards (which is unusual for me – I tend to prefer En Chamberlin). This last observation is less useful I admit, as I can’t remember the flavors that made me like it more – but I assume more savory notes and complexity. As noted by others, I also tend not to pop these open for a while. I did open a 2013 Bionic Frog the other day – which is early for me. It was pretty amazing though. In the first five years or so these wines retain that funky animalistic quality. We had the 2013 alongside a 2005 Bionic Frog. The 2005 had less funk – was a bit more subtle (some might say simplistic), but I found it compelling and am curious to see what another five years or so does. Sorry for the thread drift!

[quoteI read this as Caymus and was really confused.][/quote]I would be confused to, if myself was wondering about the 2017 Caymus wines.

There are some notes on the cayuse weekend thread. Cayuse Weekend - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Well that is a helpful response Scott! Glad to see that my memory of the impulsivo was correct. Though a bit bummed to be reminded that I dropped that allocation!

So I was at the release party but cannot find my notes (we just moved house, so things are even more disorganized than usual!). My vague memory is that the Tempranillo was the most impressive of the lot (and they were all, as usual, impressive). The Tempranillo had more complexity and depth. I also think I liked the Cailloux a bit more than the other single vineyards (which is unusual for me – I tend to prefer En Chamberlin).

I am glad I took the plunge and got a 3 pack of the Tempranillo before reading your response.
Thanks,
John

Oh good John – let us know how it is. I was really impressed with it at the release party.

Agreed the tempranillo stood out at the winery. Widowmaker as well.

I’ll take one of Tempranillo too then.

[quoteI’ll take one of Tempranillo too then.][/quote]Price just went up!

2017 Cayuse Syrah Cailloux Vineyard
2017 Cayuse Syrah En Chamberlin Vineyard
2017 Cayuse Tempranillo Impulsivo En Chamberlin Vineyard

What was the release price on these from Cayuse?

I know that the Cailloux and En Chamberlin were 80 per bottle. I think, based on prior experience, that the Impulsivo would be 90 (in the past it was 10 more per bottle).