Lafon Clos de la Barre vs Clos de la Baronne

Hey guys,

Just curious. I ordered a few bottles of 2014 Comtes de Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre from a retailer, but when I was about to take possession, I noticed that it was instead 2014 Comtes de Lafon Meursault Clos de la Baronne (Clos de la Barre is written in small characters on the label). I opted to get a refund, but now I am curious about the difference. Any input from the Burgundy geeks?

Thanks!

JF

1 Like

I think the “Clos de la Barre” written in small characters is part of the address of the Domaine and doesn’t have anything in specific to do with the wine in bottle.

In regards to this wine, from what I can remember and what I have read, Clos de la Baronne used to be incorporated into the Meursault Village wine until this was bottled separately starting in 2012. Half of the plot is leased to Comte Lafon while the other half is leased to Roulot.

1 Like

The Clos de la Baronne is owned by American investors, IIRC, and it produces a fatter, fleshier wine. The Clos de la Barre is one of the emblematic wines from the domaine from a superior terroir, and if I’m not mistaken was the original lieu-dit bottled Meursault that started it all. It produces a wine with more tension and aging potential.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I was sorely disappointed to not get the 2014 Clos de la Barre…

Cheers!

JF