TN: 1990 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Selection (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 1990 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Selection - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/11/2019)
    This is an awesome wine from a seeming bygone era. Is it the best example of a true classic? It’s not too far from it. This wine was still pretty large, and maybe a few years away from full resolution. For now it is dark black cherry with that “minty lake water” that I find in a few old California classics. The black cherry has a core of sweetness. There are some secondary traits of dried leaves and fresh forest aromas and perceptions. This is a great wine and a testament to California Cabernet Sauvignon. This was from Richard Albert on Berserker Day 1/27/2019, and it was in impeccable condition! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great to see that note. I remember when even the basic Caymus bottling was a pleasure, in the 1980s.

John, it was nice. Every sip, reminded me of where I started this wine endeavor!

The 1991 that I popped last year drank along the same lines, was a beautiful bottle of wine. And brought back memories.

Had a choice between a 91 and 97 SS last month. I picked the 97 and it drank so, so well. Gotta get the 91 now!

Great note!

One of the tip top great wines of its day.

I have purchased from Richard before and have also been pleased. Great seller!

Thanks for posting that note!

I bought the 1991 Dunn Howells from Richard. Tried for more 1991 Caymus SS but it got snagged.

This wine holds a special place in my life…My wife and I took our 10th anniversary trip to the Canadian Rockies in 1996 and stayed at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise. We ate our special dinner at their superb restaurant and I ordered a couple of glasses of Champagne and the 90 Caymus SS. They decanted the wine and served it in large Riedel Cab glasses. The Caymus was incredible that night. I remember it being a big wine but so smooth and just plain delicious. We felt like we were on top of the world. Happy to hear that it is still drinking well!

Thats so cool Paul!

Sounds great. When (and why) did Caymus switch to being so Sugar-y (or, to quote the Dead, Sugaree)?

(Virtually) every old bottle Richard Albert sources is the anti-Kirniawan. Authentic, genuine, and trusted. Yes, he’s my Wine Weasel brother, for good reason.

Really nice note Charlie, thanks.

Thank for the mention, gentlemen. I thrive on positive feedback regarding the wines I have sold and resold.

I usually know the seller and cellar of the wines I offer, having sold the owners many of their wines. The exception was the Davis Cellar which need no one to speak for it, a wine geek’s heaven.
BTW the I am in contact with the Davis cellar widow via phone emails and visits. We have gotten along well from day one. She recently told me she went into the cellar of her infrequently used vacation home high in the Sierras and found more wine. I went to see some of the bottles and will offer them on Berserker Day again.

Hints!

Give us hints, and allegations!

champagne.gif

I’m 100% in…