TN: 2017 Andreas Laible Durbacher Plauelrain Weissburgunder Kabinett trocken

• 2017 Andreas Laible Durbacher Plauelrain Weissburgunder Kabinett trocken - Germany, Baden (12/8/2019)
    This was fresh & had a lovely tension on the palate that paired with our Coquilles Saint Jacques. Scents of chalk, stone, and tropical fruits on the nose. The palate leads with a lush fruit profile that seems to get reigned in rather quickly as the acidity kicks in and draws everything in with yellow apple, kiwi, & a slight tannin that reminds me of a green banana at the tail end of the finish. Excellent!!

Posted from CellarTracker

That sounds great! How would you compare it to Seehof Morstein?

Ha, interesting, thanks for the nice note, Kirk!

Not long ago, I had this Laible Weissburgunder Kabinett in a restaurant. It was indeed as delicious as you describe it.
I’m a big fan of trocken Weissburgunder/Pinot Blanc from Germany. Just opened a bottle of 2018 Pinot Blanc, Würzberg Weingut Serrig-Saar. This has a lovely tension as well. The delicious, chalky minerality and the nice, fresh acidity wonderfully balance the lush fruit- mainly tropical fruits. Compared to the Laible Weissburgunder, the minerality of the Würzberg Pinot Blanc is more pronounced and the tannin even more restrained. Simply lovely!

BTW, Würzberg Weingut in Serrig is the former Bert Simon Estate -Weingut Herrenberg.
In 2006, Bert Simon sold the winery to Dr. Jochen Siemens, who sold it to the Heimes family in 2016.

Love Laible! Kirk, if you can get your hands on a bottle of their Weissburgunger GG, it’s pretty terrific. Of course, you might very well already know that. :slight_smile:

From what vineyard is the GG?

Same vineyard as this one - Plauelrain. Andreas Laible Durbacher Plauelrain Weissburgunder GG. I don’t know that it comes into the US, or even if it’s made every year. The only bottles in CT are the 2012, and half the community holdings are mine.

Thanks. That sounds like it’s going to be difficult to find, but I will try. Do you buy it in Europe? I absolutely love some of the top Weissburgunders I’ve had. Messmer’s GG is still the top for me, so far, but I can’t get it anymore.

I actually think this is a little more elegant than that…but it would be a very interesting side by side. I have one left, we will certainly open that together.

I don’t have that…but I did snag two of their Grauburgunder GG’s. I’m looking forward to trying that, I think there are some really outstanding whites that aren’t riesling in Germany.

The world has become a small place. I was born near Durbach where Laible is located. Laible is a quality producer for a very long time. In fact one of the best in Germany. Today the wines are produced by the son. Weißburgunder is only a small part of the production. Riesling is the main wine.

BTW: Father Andreas Laible has two sons. One is producing under the fathers name. The other is Alexander Laible with a different winery. He is pretty good too.

Lyle Fass brought in the 2012 that I have.

Ah, that makes sense.