TN: 1999 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons, Grand Cru

A deep colour and still very youthful. Dark fruits are strewn with iron filings. It has a meaty edge and is powerful and brooding but does possesses elements of floral beauty. Balance is really good and it shows authority without the slightest bit of heaviness. Length is superb, and whilst it is still several decades away from its eventual apogee, it does drink well.

Thanks Jeremy, I do have a magnum that I thought would be handy for my 100th!!!

Looking forward to drinking it with you Kent.

swing by the nursing home for me. I’ll double diaper to make it through the entire event.

How is the 2002 compared to the 1999? Any experience with that vintage?

Think the 1988, 1990 or 1993 will be ready any time in the next ten years? I am still waiting on them.

I have a few 2010 and 2014 of this and all I can say is that I hope the new style chez Faiveley makes them peak a little earlier. The age you describe for their “apogee” is such that you would buy one the day you graduated college in order to drink it at your retirement party! Doesn’t seem like a practical aging curve for a wine. I did get a few as birth year wine for kids and I guess it is practical for that purpose at least!

Surprisingly the 98 is great from magnum now - very stable, open a couple of days. By contrast, last time out (6 months ago) 1999 much more structural and requiring time, if not the absolute brute it was 5 years ago…

I like the Clos Des Cortons but it has long seemed to me that the fame of this very particular and quite plentiful wine has coloured the reputation of Faiveley’s other wines. A 1996 Chambolle Combe D’Orveaux a few days ago had all the Musigny magic one could hope.

A bunch of my friends and I bought a lot of 1985s and drank many while they were still quite young. The Clos du Corton was my favorite - really pretty, seemingly simultaneously delicate and intense. Every time I drank it the first 10 years of its life I thought “good thing i am drinking this now, it might be too old soon.” Of course, I was ignorant of how well-stored burgundy ages and matures. But it got me buying this cru (of course the fact I could buy grand cru for less than $40 didn’t hurt). Although I have enjoyed subsequent bottlings, I suspect my love for the 1985 bottling was more about the 1985 vintage than clos du corton. I have not had the 1985 in many years, however, so maybe those that have can weigh in on whether it is sui generis.

While I haven’t had this ever 1998 I’ve opened in the last few years has been drinking very well.

‘07 is wide-open and delicious, the new Faiveley.

Hi Maureen, the only truly mature Faiveley CdC I have had was the 1964. Also have the 1990 in the cellar. Will try one next year as part of 30 year look back on the 1990 vintage. But my impression is that for 2006 and earlier vintages, 40-50 years from vintage is about right. Based on my own logic I will be in my late 80s before the 2005 will be “ready” - sigh…

Brodie

Sell them and buy the 2010 or 2012 instead which are drinking quite well. We had tasted them recently in our Corton offline.

I sold all my Faiveley from '90s. I did not believe the '96 or '99s would have come around in my life time. I do not have any regrets selling them. Purchased a three mixed cases of the 2015 vintage. Tried a few already . Very enjoyable and I think they will be drinking superbly much before the wines from the '90s.

Although Faiveley Cortons have always had a great reputation I completely agree with Sanjay. The Cortons of the new style are so much more refined. Vintages like 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017 and the coming 2018 are simply performing at highest Grand Cru level. Wines you can actually drink from arrival and most likely for another 50 years to come.

09 as well was great recently.

Yeah some of their wines do come around in under 40 years. I had the '89 Marechale and the '90 Combe d’orveaux in the past year or two and both were winners.

It’s not just a matter of maturity. The wines from Erwan’s father are likely just not as good as Erwan’s or his grandfather’s.

I believe the 2010 could very well end up being a cellar treasure.

A 2010 Chambolle Fuees was far from ready last night. Need 10 more years