Dirty and Rowdy 2018 Chalone AVA MSG Release

Fresh off the presses and in time for the holidays. Amped for this release:

23 million years ago, this small production wine began with the eruption of an undersea volcano named, “Old Neenach.”

Through the years, the seabed rose and Old Neenach split in two. Half of the volcano slowly drifted north to create the jagged and majestic Pinnacles National Park in eastern Monterey County. Pinnacles is a wonder of volcanic rock, granite, and limestone.

At the entrance of the park is the remote and tiny Chalone AVA (American Viticultural Area). There are only a handful of vineyards in the AVA, and for perspective, this entire planted acreage could easily fit inside of Napa Valley’s famed To Kalon Vineyard. Chalone AVA - storied, brawny, and reclusive - just how Old Neenach likes it.

9 years ago, we fell in love with the AVA while camping in Chalone’s Michaud Vineyard. Through the evening, Michael Michaud poured old Chalone magnums he made from the 70’s and early 80’s, and we alternated between being lost in the campfire and found in the stars.

There was something primal, timeworn, and distant. The wines, the place, and the star filled night made us dance. It shook our bones and moved our souls.
“This wine brings you and your loved ones in touch with a powerful place put in motion 23 million years ago.”
The 2018 Chalone AVA MSG (Mourvèdre, Syrah, Grenache) is our love letter to this crazy f’n place. A message in a bottle addressed to Neenach. It is in loving thanks for these primordial soils that once sat below the ocean, and to these bands of fossilized sea creatures, which shine with life when mixed with grape, sun, and soul. This wine brings you and your loved ones in touch with a powerful place put in motion 23 million years ago.

We only made 6 barrels of this wine. It is mighty, confident, and bright - a polyrhythm of rock, fruit, and high desert chaparral. Serve now with land critters or root veggies (broiled or roasted). Grab some to enjoy years down the road, to drink by the neck, while singing and dancing buck naked in Pinnacles National Park. When the rangers arrive to take you away, they’ll only hear your voice in the wind.

To Old Neenach, to you, and to the friends and families that you share your stories with. We love you more than words can tell!

Kate, Hardy, Amy, Matt
TAKE ME TO THE LAND OLD NEENACH MADE!
YOUR WINES WILL SHIP IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
GROUND SHIPPING IS INCLUDED ON ORDERS OF (ANY) 6 BOTTLES OR MORE
THE MSG RELEASE RUNS FROM 12/6 -12/13

2018 CHALONE AVA MSG
41% RODNICK FARM MOURVÈDRE
39% BROSSEAU VINEYARD SYRAH
10% BROSSEAU VINEYARD GRENACHE
10% OLD NEENACH MAGIC!

Thanks, Ty!

We are psyched to get this one out to everyone!

so pumped to grab this wine!

What Hardy offers…I buy. Nice to keep it simple

Thank you!!! [worship.gif] [worship.gif]

Hardy, do you distribute to the UK?

Not currently. I hope that changes [cheers.gif]

Got em in

Pobega status after a 2 hr double decant:

Spicy crunchy black cherry bites u in the ass. Mid palate pop with vibrance and clean sheer. Subtle green olive with bright white pepper. Tigers in lily patches, rhinos in thunder. This hits.

Get some

Awwww yeah! Thank you- (bonus points for Tube lyrics!)

We test drove a bottle this weekend while camping down in Big Sur. I don’t think there could have been a better place for it - Camp fire, waves crashing below, perfect steaks and great company.
IMG_2613.jpeg
18 MSG, 90 Pibarnon, 11 Puffy Savagnin, and 09 Arnot-Roberts Fellom Cab ( <---- that wine is gooooooooooood)

Well done Hardy. Big Sur is as fine a place to enjoy fine wine as any in existence!

I think I mentioned it before Hardy but I might have someone on the UK side who could be interested in this.

Thank you. It is truly spectacular and w/ all Monterey (Chalone) fruit, it felt like an appropriate place to enjoy this one.

Thanks a ton. Unfortunately, due to lack of wine we have to wait until Apr to look at additional markets. :frowning:

2018 Dirty and Rowdy MSG Chalone - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (12/23/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 4 hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –
– 41% Mourvedre; 39% Syrah; 10% Grenache –

NOSE: initially tight with blackberry jam aroma; a bit carbonic; very pretty, purple-berried aroma with a hint of florals; 4 hours in, and it has broadened and is absolutely rockin’! some blueberry now. Day 2: red/purple berries with slight savory aspect.

BODY: light to medium-light bodied; black-violet color of great depth.

TASTE: can definitely taste the Grenache; very fine tannin; light oak; dark-fruited, but not heavy or “big”; 13.5% alc. is not noticeable; clean; not earthy or funky; better after an hour open, with a slight animalistic hint. Day 2: purple fruit and florals. I enjoyed this one. Drink now with lots of air, or HOLD.

50, 5, 12, 15, 8 = (90 pts.)

[cheers.gif] Brian- Thanks for the note. Glad you enjoyed the MSG!

Indeed, I did. :slight_smile: Thank you, Hardy! [cheers.gif]