TN: 2000 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Loibenberg (Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau)

My first TN in quite a while, prompted both by the recent thread on wines you don’t see
mentioned very often on the Board as well as the fact that my better half is making pork chops with mushrooms and extra sharp cheddar for dinner ;^)

• 2000 Alzinger Riesling Smaragd Loibenberg - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (12/5/2019)
    A deep bronze/gold in the glass; this wine is not for everybody, but I do find this both fascinating and delicious. Trying an aged example of a wine like this, I can definitely understand why some folks say that Austrian Riesling is really the only true substitute for grand cru white Burgundy.

Full-bodied for a white, expansive and rich on the palate, quite dry and a touch less acidity than I might normally prefer, but honestly, I don’t think I would change anything about the way this wine drinks tonight, as it has come together as one complete and harmonious package.

Posted from CellarTracker

Bravo…nice note.

How can Riesling not be for everybody?!?!

Your note inspires me to fire up some schnitzel and mushroom gravy and go pull a bottle. I love Alzinger’s wines young and have a hard time letting them age out this long. Other 2000s from the Wachau and Kremstal have all been pretty delicious in recent sampling.

Cheers,
fred

I hear you!

Sounds like a nice food match!
I’m trying to get through some wines that may have been aging too long too.

Thanks Bob. Nice note. I also wish I could refrain from drinking these too quickly.

Wow, 19 years old Riesling. I knew Riesling could be kept for over 10 years. But almost 20 and still good, that is something to consider. But what do you think about Gewurts. I have found Barmes-Buecher, Gewurztraminer 'Herrenweg’ 2010 on vinousreverie.com. I love this producer from Alsace. 2010 was the year it was named the best white wine under $25 in France. Not sure if it will be as good almost 10 years later. Any experience with Gewurts that old.
Thanks.
Yana