Balanced, non fruit bomb cabernets?

I recently had a Heitz Napa Cabernet which I really enjoyed, much more than other California cabs I have tried. In doing limited research I have found that this is made in a “balanced, old Napa style”. I am not totally sure what that means, so I am hoping for some help for a newbie. What other wineries, vintages etc, should I look to try that would be on the style of Heitz.

Thanks

70s/80s (even some 90s)
Ridge Montebello
Diamond Creek (any)
Heitz Martha’s

In the same price range,

Gramercy Cellars (WA) Columbia Valley Cabernet

Smith Madrone Spring Mountain Napa Cabernet

Mount Eden estate Cabernet from pretty much any vintage. Corison ticks those boxes year after year as well.

I would add Mt. Veeder.

If you scroll this thread from a couple of months ago, Napa Cab under $100, you’ll find recommendations with a description of their styles.

Thanks, I will check it out

Ceritas, Peter Martin Ray Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon. Coming from Santa Cruz Mountains and exactly what you’re looking for. Usually direct to consumer only but a few retailers have small amounts available which you can find through wine-searcher.com

Frog’s Leap.

Of course, Bordeaux is a great place to buy cabernets, merlots and blends which are in a less ripe and sweet style. Australia as well. You didn’t literally say you were looking for Napa or California, though it kind of sounded like you are, so I don’t know if you’re interested in going down those roads.

Otherwise, good suggestions above: Mount Eden, Ridge (their Estate Cabernet is around $50 and very balanced), Frog’s Leap.

I’m on the hunt generally for the same stuff and would second/third Corison and Mt Eden (both estate and domaine are nice in my experience).

I have less experience as of yet, but have also been pointed towards Togni and their Tanbark Hill site as possible hits.

Chateau Montelena
Togni
70’s Clos du Val
70’s/80’s/90’s Mayacamas
Corison
I’d say Dunn is “balanced” but it’s a bit of a tannic beast until maturity.

Certainly, I agree with a lot of the above - Ridge, Montelena, Mount Eden, Togni, Mayacamas, for example.

Another one I would throw into the mix is Stony Hill.

Ridge Estate Cab. These are the lots that don’t go into the Monte Bello bottling. It’s also $65, not $150-$200. However, like Monte Bello, it can definitely stand some time in the cellar.

+1 on Frog’s Leap and Ridge Estate. I would also add Keenan, which is not quite old school, but balanced.

Ed

Corison and matthiasson and Smith madrone

I’ve never had the Heitz Napa, but Free Wine-Searcher indicates that it’s a $45 to $60 wine in recent vintages.

If you’re interested in tight, green, light-bodied mountain fruit, then try this one.

My understanding is that it’s a “stencil” of a rather famous wine; it’s certainly quite tasty, and it’s priced very aggressively [vis-a-vis what it would cost if it were being sold under its original label].

But it’s not for the Pop-N-Pour Infanticide crowd, and you’ll need to do some serious work on the oxidation side of things in order to coax it out of its shell.

Seek the 01 Mondavi Reserve. Still can get it for a decant price.

You think?

Ghostwriter is great. Small production but chambers in NY or flatiron in SF have it

You read my mind. I was going to edit my post to ask if Bordeaux would be a better option for me. Can I get decent Bordeaux drinkable now for a similar price? Any recommendations are appreciated, it seems like there are more Bordeaux options than California Cabs . Thanks for all the responses so far.