new Rhone (for me)

Drank just over 1/2 btl of the 2015 Gripa “Le Berceau” last night, with pulled pork and some (more!) Thanksgiving leftovers. Certainly the best St. Joseph I’ve ever had. A big wine, inky dark, and very Old World profile. Had the feral and smoky qualities of Cornas, with the spiciness of Crozes-Hermitage. Very long too, just lounges on the palate. Come to think of it, if someone had told me it was a very young Hermitage, they would have had no argument from me. Can’t wait to try the remaining couple glasses tonight. 94

Gripa is a good producer and you had his top bottling, the Berceau. His regular St Joseph is also excellent and 25$ cheaper!
If you’re a fan of Rhone whites his are good as well: fresh and not overdone, and there is the same regular-Berceau lineup as with the reds.

Beautiful note, Kelly - definitely piqued my interest. I did a quick W-S search and the St. Joseph appears only on the East Coast, where shipping to me is rather expensive. Will have to keep an eye out, I guess

Thanks, guys! Will let you know how it fares on Day 2.

Day 2? What’s wrong with you? #noleftovers

I’ve enjoyed the Gripas I have had as well. The “Berceau” cuvées (red and white) have unfortunately (for us) been on a steep upward price curve the last few vintages.

Actually Gripa’s Saint Peray Les Figuiers is a top notch example of the appellation. These can age 15-20 years and need some ageing before opening or otherwise it won’t have the oak integrated. These aren’t cheap anymore but for any rhonafilia this is something that one should have in their cellars

I’ve never seen that and wonder if that is even available in the States? Thanks for the heads up if I ever run across it!