TNs: Marie Courtin, 2004 Cristal

At Pops:

Marie Courtin Resonance BdN

Lovely nose, very fresh with nice acidity. Nice palate presence. Drinks above its level.

2004 Cristal

A little tight and has characteristic acidity of 2004 which I find a bit searing. Some time in bottle will probably help this. Right now the only grand Marque I like for current drinking from 04 is krug.

Have you had Taittinger Comtes recently? My favorite since the 1996 (haven’t had 2007 or 2008 yet).

Like 6 mo ago, didn’t love it.

I had 2007 last week and was pretty meh on it. I’ve been a Comtes fan in the past, but swore off big house purchases for years (though I jump at 1995 whenever I see it). However, given that many of the growers I buy are now hard to get and significantly more expensive than Comtes, I was dipping my toes back in. It really lacked verve and drive. Couple that with the stupid bottle and I’m out.

Michael, thanks for the impressions. The Resonance is a terrific wine, the deal for me in the MC portfolio, although all of her wines continue to be good values in my opinion. As for the 2007 Comtes, I was not impressed with the recent taste I had of it. I’m not a fan of Comtes as I have posted before but to the point of the 2007, my TN is below.

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (11/6/2019)
    Disgorged 02/2018. 100% PN and no dosage. There are 2 disgorgements of this in circulation, as I’ve now tasted both over the past few bottles I have opened. Aromatics of red berries and crushed rocks. The texture here is lively, buffered by yellow and green apple, raspberry and ginger, then a lengthy finish of brisk, lively citrus of honeyed lime and a mineral note. The Marie-Courtin wines continue to reflect complexity, pure fruit, acidity and energy. Another rock solid bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

As it happens the Resonance is the only Marie Courtin bottling I’m not a fan of. I love all the others, especially the Eloquence and the Indulgence.

Jay, I have yet to try the Indulgence. When I get back to the Aube next year, I will taste it if they’ll open it for me at the winery. The Eloquence, that wine is fantastic and aside from the 09 Cristal, the 14 Eloquence is my champagne of the year in 2019.

Agree about her Eloquence. Consistently over-performs IMHO. But I also enjoy the Resonance, if not quite as much.

RT

Good to know, I haven’t tried the 14 and I’ve had hugely varying experiences with the vintage so I don’t buy blindly.

Jay, I have had 4 bottles of it in the past year and it has performed superbly every time. My notes on all of these bottles are logged in CT, too.

I should have clarified that I meant producers. At La Fete some 2014s were fantastic (e.g., Marguet) while others (such as my usual favorite Bereche) were disappointing. Good to know that MC was one of the successful ones.

I was buying bottles for a large group of generally non-wine ppl, so the resonance was very well priced, but i was greatly impressed.