TN: 2017 Fürst "Centgrafenberg" Spätburgunder - the Chambolle-Musigny of Germany

Here we have one of the best German estate for red wine/Spätburgunder. Some experts compare this Centgrafenberg Spätburgunder with Chambolle-Musigny, make your own judgement.

Estate: http://www.weingut-rudolf-fuerst.de/index_gb.htm

2017 Fürst “Centgrafenberg” Spätburgunder GG

“Centgrafenberg (11ha) - as a result of the practice of gavelkind over centuries, the vineyards are split into 20 plots, creating a broad spectrum of soil composition. The higher the content of fertile loam, the better the soils are suited for growing white wines, whereas the more stony plots are perfect for the reds.”

Paul Fürst is one of Germany’s true Pinot pioneers. I know his Spätburgunders since around 25 years and I always loved them for their finesse, elegance and sensitive oak management. In the early days German Spätburgunder was mostly over-oaked with too much alcohol. But Fürst was always different.

Intoxicating perfume. On the palate such silky with flavors of red currant, raspberry, floral notes and with some spice&smoke. Lovely feminine with elegance&grace. Long life ahead, as they age really well. I know it, as I had the luck to taste his Spätburgunders with age.

Centgrafenberg vertical by Stuart Pigott: London Riesling Diary: Day 3 – Sophisticated German Spätburgunder/Pinot Noir from Sebastian Fürst in Franken | Stuart Pigott's Planet Wine

95/100

Cheers,
Martin

One of my favorites. I have a 2003, 2009, 2014, 2015, and 2017 of the Hundsruck GG squirreled away. Just like Burgundy, it’s getting too expensive. Any thoughts on Josef Walter?

Centgrafenberg for 55 Euro in Germany. That’s okay. Hundsrück is of course much more expensive.

No thoughts, as I haven’t tasted his wines so far. I would like to recommend JÜLG from the Pfalz region.