TN: missing the notes

Been awhile, so here goes:

Alfredo Maestro, Castilla y Leon, ‘Lovamor’, 2016
Albillo. Color a medium gold with nutskin brown. Lemon oil and tangerine skin on the nose, while the mouth gives quince and citrus oil. Only slightly oxidized, with a green note. Not as concentrated or full as the 2011, but still quite good.

Charvin, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 2008
Finally moving into tertiary space. Some olive brine, macerated mulled fruits of cherries, plums, and oranges, with a little mastic note on the end. Drinking very well now. 14.5%

Sandlands, Mission, Amador County, 2017
Ridiculously light for a red wine and channeling Jura. Floral nose of strawberry and watermelon. Virtually no tannins, low acidity with a slightly strange taste on the finish I cannot pinpoint. Good, but not what I was expecting and better with lighter fare, not meat. 12.9%

Produttori di Barbaresco, Barbaresco, 2006
Lot 10.155 Black cherry, menthol nose. Deep and dark on the palate, with roasted dandelion root, gentian, chokecherry, dusty wood tannins and a mentholated finish. Classic in feel, but not very concentrated and more about the woody things than anything fruit related. Okay, but that’s about it. Hard to imagine what the fuss was about when this came out. 14%

Chateau Louis, Saint Emillon, 2009
Very dark colored. Spiced plum nose. Dense and voluptuous, filled with squid ink, black plums, boysenberry, and anise. Lively acid and decent tannic structure suggests this could well age longer, but it drinks so well now, like a balanced California cabernet, but I’m doubting it’ll gain further complexity. [80% merlot/20% cab franc] 14.5%

Zull, Tockrnbeerenauslese Welschriesling, 2001
From Austria. In a half bottle. 11.5% Weird dessert wine that is super rich and full of botrytis and orange-apricot. Very rich. The tawny brown color makes you believe it will be shot, but it isn’t. Surprised at the dark color at only 18 years of age, but, it’s fine.

Domaine de la Pepiere, Muscadet Sevre et Maine, Clos des Briords, 2007
Briny lemon with an iodine finish. Only fair acidity. Perfunctory. 12%

Jacques-Frederic Mugnier, Nuits St Georges, ‘Clos de la Marechale’, 2007
Savory and red fruited, but feeling a little faded. I’d say drink up, even if with air it broadens a little.

Thanks for the notes. It’s nice to see someone else who finds a lot of disappointments. [cheers.gif]

I was interested in this one, in particular:

I had one bottle from my stash of lot 9.105 (no portion originally intended for riserva) that was stunning two years ago, and a bottle from another early bottling that was less stunning but still good. I posted notes at the time. Your L10.155 was 50% riserva juice. Perhaps it’s just a bit backward?

John, I don’t feel it was backward, as I had one about 2-3 years ago that showed that way, but this felt more advanced than that and I’m not clear it will transform into anything more than a good weeknight drink. What surprised me most was how earthy it was and the comparative lack of fruit.

And I wasn’t so much as disappointed as in thinking “shit, I better start drinking these wines up!”

Markus,

I am having this wonderful (and so typic) CdP Charvin 2008 and totally agree (17/20). So pleasant (and allows me to forget a little bit this terrible COVID19). Drink.

Bon courage à tous

Laurent