Barolo and Barbaresco World, NYC, Feb. 2020 - are you going?

https://www.langhevini.it/en/the-consortium-representing-barolo-barbaresco-announces-first-world-opening-in-the-u-s-market-with-2016-and-2017-vintages/

I know there are lots of enthusiasts, and wondering how many will plan to attend part/all of this, first-ever, event that will span 3 days. Plenty of VIP stuff for you ballers out there.

It’s only 5C (but no snow!) as I write from Monforte d’Alba; results have been mixed over the past month wrt truffles.

Oh, one more thing, buy all the 2016 Produttori Barbaresco you can afford; maybe a little more. [berserker.gif]

Looks like a great event, how does one sign up for this?

From the linked site:

For more information about the Barolo & Barbaresco World Opening events, contact Diana Zahuranec at dzahuranec@colangelopr.com or Ilaria Bertini at comunicazione@langhevini.it.

Thanks Dave

I have written to them asking if there is a portal/website to register. When I receive a reply, I’ll post it here.

wow, that was quick Barolo Barbaresco World Opening: Trade & Media - NYC 2020 Tickets, Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 11:00 AM | Eventbrite

I am interested in attending, but it seems like this is for people ITB only? Anyone know?

There are 2 components - one for trade (small part of total program), and one for the public. Hope this helps.

Well ITB types get in for FREE. No price specified for us regular joes.

Let us just say that the screening process is, well, not terribly rigorous.

what levels of wines are poured / do the wine makers visit these types of events?

It’s my understanding that new release wines will be the dominant focus (2016 Barolo and Barbaresco, a very good vintage), but, as can happen, other bottles sometimes find their way in - often behind the front, i.e. out of sight. I’m not sure what will be on offer during some of the premium events.

Having spoken with several here, it seems that some winemakers will go, others will have a rep/export manager.

I can say it seems to be pretty audacious, with the new president of the Consorzio having raised a significant sum from the members - I believe they will do a good job, and it’s a pretty unique and substantial chance to taste a lot of great, new release wines.

my suggestion to anyone seriously interested, is just to write - my reply came in 5 minutes, pretty unheard of in these circles.

The announcement you linked to says it will focus on the 2016 Barolo and 2017 Barbaresco vintages, which makes sense, since those will be released in the new year. It will be interesting to see what Barbaresco makers salvaged from the difficult '17 vintage.

I will be in the City that Saturday the 1st for the Vinous La Festa Del Barolo tasting. Love to come back for this event, sounds terrific

Who is going? Maybe we can get a group meet.

I signed up

Does anybody have a list of producers attending?

Nevermind. Found it. https://www.langhevini.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Elenco-aziende-partecipanti_Participating-Wineries.pdf

Not in the wine industry. Any way to go without it costing over $100?

Well, maybe more rigorous than I thought. They just told me yesterday that my request to attend had been denied.

Looking at the list of participants, I am surprised by how many I have never heard of. Does anyone have any recommendations for “off the beaten path” producers? John, I believe you have stayed at and recommended Rizzi in the past.