TN: N.V. Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme

This is seriously good. There’s a fine nose of toast, cinnamon, fresh lemon and chalk. Bead is super-fine and it has a tart line of crisp citrus. There’s good volume and loads of spice. flavours envelop the mouth then draw into a singular minerally point. It has great cut and length and is extremely classy.

I agree. For me, it seemed a bit lighter than most of their previous offerings. Didn’t pick up any oxidized type notes I often get with Krug.

I have one bottle, maybe I’ll grab some more.

This beats 166 and 163 hands down. Jury’s out on 164. 165 and 162 and before are too hard to find to be in contention.

How about 168?

Haven’t tasted that yet.

163 on release or 163 now? That’s my fav of the grand cuvees at the moment.

Nice! Ordered some 166 on sale at Flat Irons but they sold out and shipped 167 as a replacement.

It’s a hung jury, 11-1, on the 164’s potential for greatness.

I’ve loved the 160 and 162, and only had a small taste (but very promising) of the 164.

Very interesting that the 167 should be getting so much praise, since the base vintage (2011) was such a poor one in Champagne. But then I guess this where master blenders like Krug can really shine. $144 at HDH is a pretty unbeatable price!

No doubt, that reserve wines will compensate for less than stellar base vintages. That’s why I posited the unpopular idea that multi-vintage wines can often be superior to vintage ones. But great winemakers can make very good vintage wines in less than optimal vintages. I recently had Pierre Peters 2011 Chetillons and it was delicious. And I would not be surprised if it is showing better right now than the 2012 version.

Recently had this from 375 and mostly I’ll take what Jeremy’s having. I did get a little almond as well. Really enjoyed it. [cheers.gif]

Both.

Got accidentally shipped 166th recently and reached out for a replacement on the 167th, glad i didn’t let inertia just let me cellar it and shrug it off.

Hello,

I have tasted twice this cuvee ( masterclass in paris, and a tasting in a winecellar)
And i find it closed (sorry i don’t knom the english word to say that it was not ready, mute and that we have to wait some years for judge it )

Like krug 2006 …

“closed” is the correct description.

I have yet to have the 167 but enjoyed the 166 even though it was extremely young. My favorite Krug experience has been 164 out of Magnum.

In this masterclass, they are also
Grande cuvée 162, vintage 2004, 2006 and
Grande cuvée 167

GC 162 was opened and very nice.
To say the truth, grande cuvee is better after some years (5 or 10 years ) in cellar for express itself.
And this is the case for GC162.

It baffles the mind that magnums of the 164 can still be had at $400.

Grande cuvee’s prices are growing up (lvmh need money maybe to buy tiffanys).
Around 170€ in france. (190$)
3 year ago it was 145€.

Yeah for real, buying them up as much as I can.