TN: 2017 Kruger-Rumpf Im Pitterberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Nahe)

2017 Kruger-Rumpf Im Pitterberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe (11/30/2019)
Brilliant acidity, only moderate sweetness, this is electric and refreshing Drink now for sheer excitement, but keep a few for the long haul, as the balance is spot on for serious aging.

Posted from CellarTracker

Ah, this is a rare example of a German lieux-dit.
“Im Pittersberg” is a “Gewann” - lieux-dit, not a “Einzellage”. It is part of the Einzellage “Pittersberg”.
Check the geography here:

Thanks for the map, Charlie. So the plot is not far from the winery, due west, more or less, behind the buildings? As I recall from a visit in 2004, the winery is on the main north-south street parallel to the railroad tracks, in the center of the village. Am I recalling that correctly?

I just tasted once this domain during the auctions in 2011 : Kruger-Rumpf MĂĽnsterer Pitterberg auslese GK 2010.

A great expression …

1 Like

EAF3701C-D650-43FF-9308-AB01C3406584.jpeg
FWIW, spelling is different on the label

Regarding Kruger-Rumpf, I have found them to be one of the most improved estates over the last ten years.

If Im Pitterberg is not an einzellage, then how is Kruger Rumpf able to produce a Grosses Gewachs?

Nice note, thanks David!

As we know, the German wine law is a nightmare… :slight_smile:
Broadly speaking, Gewann is a long forgotten, medieval term for field names in villages. Many of those field names, called Katasterlagen today, still exist in the official cadastral maps in Germany.
With other words, a Gewann is a Katasterlage.
Since 2014, on application, those Gewanne/Katasterlagen/medieval names are allowed on labels. A Gewann can be inside an Einzellage, can overlap two Einzellagen, or can be outside an Einzellage. [wow.gif]

So I think if a Gewann is part of a GG Einzellage or part of two neighboring GG Einzellagen, then the wine can be labeled as Großes Gewächs.

The winery is near the vineyards but not near to the “Im Pitterberg”. The vineyard naibouring the winery is Rheinberg Weinlagen