so who still gets wine spectator? and why?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

so who still gets wine spectator? and why?

#1 Post by mark rudner » December 1st, 2019, 5:07 pm

just got yesterday's mail and in it the latest ws issue. i don't remember if i re-up every year or it's automatic, and i'm not quite sure if i really like it anymore.
but here it is. big picture/ad for the wagners etc etc
so who's still in?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: so who still gets wine spectator? and why?

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm

I get it because it seems to keep showing up for free.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by b. c@stner » December 1st, 2019, 5:12 pm

Free here too...
b 0 b

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Michael Martin » December 1st, 2019, 5:16 pm

Free here too. There has also been many posts regarding this same topic over the years and people either hate it, get it for free or read it at their dentist’s office.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by mark rudner » December 1st, 2019, 5:18 pm

anyone know why we get it for free?

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Paul Miller » December 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm

How are you getting it for free?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by alan weinberg » December 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm

free.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Craig G » December 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm

mark rudner wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:18 pm
Value pricing.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by PeterH » December 1st, 2019, 5:29 pm

Every time I try to cancel, I'm offered another year for $2. Happens with other magazines too. They have to keep their circulation up to justify the advertising rates.
My wife says cancel anyway, because most of the issues never get read.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Michael Martin » December 1st, 2019, 5:41 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm
Miles

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by PaulMills » December 1st, 2019, 5:49 pm

I like it for the reviews of various areas to travel to, not for the wine recs. I do not pay either, not sure how that worked out.

I subscribed to Wine Enthusiast a couple of years ago when they had a deal of about $8 for two years. It was not a good deal.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by J a y H a c k » December 1st, 2019, 6:56 pm

I get it because someone leaves it on my desk every once in a while in my office. It has no mailing label and I do not know who is my benefactor. I enjoy it, but I would not voluntarily get it because I spend too much time on wine.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Well..

#13 Post by TomHill » December 1st, 2019, 7:07 pm

mark rudner wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:07 pm
just got yesterday's mail and in it the latest ws issue. i don't remember if i re-up every year or it's automatic, and i'm not quite sure if i really like it anymore.
but here it is. big picture/ad for the wagners etc etc
so who's still in?
Well...I still subscribe (full tariff). Every year when I re-up, I feel so unclean.
I’ve subscribed since Vol1#1, back when it was a tabloid newspaper published by BobMorrisy down in SanDiego. Even wrotea about a dozen articles for Bob.
Like my Playboy subscription, I buy it for the articles. Maybe in each issue I’ll find 1-2 articles worth reading. Their recommendations...pffftt!!
But I sure do miss TheSuck. He was always good for a few laughs.
Tom

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#14 Post by Robert M yers » December 1st, 2019, 7:10 pm

Duplicate....
Last edited by Robert M yers on December 1st, 2019, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#15 Post by Robert M yers » December 1st, 2019, 7:12 pm

If anybody wants it for free I get mine from Rewardsurvey.com and have for years. You answer a couple of dumb questions about a product and can pick out free mags. Some want to lock you in with auto renewal so they charge .99 cents up front but WS never has.

I just did a survey and re-upped with WS, added whisky advocate, Food and Wine and Robb Report. SI is offered right now too as The selections change periodically it seems.

To Marks question, I enjoy it for a 15 minute read but wouldnt pay much to keep it.

dave kammerer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by dave kammerer » December 1st, 2019, 8:19 pm

I had United miles that were expiring so used them to get several magazines that I really do not want.

Jeremy Holmes

#17 Post by Jeremy Holmes » December 1st, 2019, 8:19 pm

If I'm in the newsagent I'll pick up a copy. It is an ok read. Don't be too hard on it.
ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by John Morris » December 1st, 2019, 8:59 pm

mark rudner wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:18 pm
Because they make their money from advertising, and they need to guarantee a certain level of distribution to justify their ad rates.

Give-aways are the least valuable category of "subscribers," but they still count for something. People who requested the publication are valued more highly, even if they are sent it for free. Paid subscribers, of course, are by far the most valuable to advertisers because they've demonstrated a desire to read the publication. (When circulation is audited, subscribers are divided into those three categories.)

Put another way: Most of you guys aren't worth much. neener

However, these guys would be treated as having, at least, requested the magazine, and WS might even claim they paid because there was some consideration:
Robert M yers wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 7:12 pm
If anybody wants it for free I get mine from Rewardsurvey.com and have for years. You answer a couple of dumb questions about a product and can pick out free mags.
dave kammerer wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:19 pm
I had United miles that were expiring so used them to get several magazines that I really do not want.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 2nd, 2019, 5:05 am

I ended my subscription in the late 1990s, lol. I know this will shock Corey and Todd to hear me say this, but I found it utterly pretentious, and of course, concluded The Suckles was a clown. And since Bordeaux was my region of preference, that was a fail. Pardon if this sounds jerkish, but I find the magazine profoundly lacking in interest to me. I don’t even pick it up when I see it in places like a doctor’s office. This website is much cooler! Read something from William Kelley or Keith Levenberg to see what quality writing entails.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Bob Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Bob Davis » December 2nd, 2019, 5:40 am

Get ours using up odd lots of frequent flier miles.
-------
Pittsburgh Dad says, "Twenty bucks for a field trip to the art museum? Tell you what, I'll drive you past the Lemieux statue for free."

Jim Brennan

#21 Post by Jim Brennan » December 2nd, 2019, 5:43 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:05 am
I ended my subscription in the late 1990s, lol. I know this will shock Corey and Todd to hear me say this, but I found it utterly pretentious, and of course, concluded The Suckles was a clown. And since Bordeaux was my region of preference, that was a fail. Pardon if this sounds jerkish, but I find the magazine profoundly lacking in interest to me. I don’t even pick it up when I see it in places like a doctor’s office. This website is much cooler! Read something from William Kelley or Keith Levenberg to see what quality writing entails.
Keith Levenberg would be so much more readable if he were wearing a cravat and posting from Tuscany. champagne.gif

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#22 Post by Robert M yers » December 2nd, 2019, 5:44 am

I’m really not sure why it’s a badge of honor to Not read it. Like we have so many good wine rags to choose from...
It’s certainly not intensive wine journalism, it’s a gateway for folks who usually buy Meomi to transition to possibly something more serious. The articles aren’t written to challenge my critical wine thinking, but That doesn’t mean there isn’t anything in the magazine that I can’t learn (or enjoy) from.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#23 Post by Robert M yers » December 2nd, 2019, 5:46 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
If I could photoshop I’d put a Spectator in between your avatars right arm [cheers.gif]

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 2nd, 2019, 5:56 am

Robert M yers wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:44 am
I’m really not sure why it’s a badge of honor to Not read it. Like we have so many good wine rags to choose from...
It’s certainly not intensive wine journalism, it’s a gateway for folks who usually buy Meomi to transition to possibly something more serious. The articles aren’t written to challenge my critical wine thinking, but That doesn’t mean there isn’t anything in the magazine that I can’t learn (or enjoy) from.
It’s the tragic flaw of Berserkers. Everything else must suck for Berserkers to be great. I don’t get it either.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 2nd, 2019, 6:18 am

Robert M yers wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:46 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
If I could photoshop I’d put a Spectator in between your avatars right arm [cheers.gif]
I’d use it!!! The avatar, that is.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Chris Blum » December 2nd, 2019, 7:38 am

My brother (who hasn’t had a drink since the 80s) gets it because it was free with some offer.

He asked me if I wanted a free gift subscription. I declined.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Well..

#27 Post by David K o l i n » December 2nd, 2019, 7:53 am

TomHill wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 7:07 pm
I’ve subscribed since Vol1#1, back when it was a tabloid newspaper published by BobMorrisy down in SanDiego. Even wrotea about a dozen articles for Bob.
I loved Bob's paper. I dropped my subscription once Marvin bought it and it went glossy

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by John Morris » December 2nd, 2019, 8:26 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:43 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Keith Levenberg would be so much more readable if he were wearing a cravat and posting from Tuscany. champagne.gif
I was going to say that I'd love to see Keith with a Suckling-like mop of blond hair, but it seems JS has trimmed his now-graying hair:

"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by R M Kriete » December 2nd, 2019, 1:46 pm

It's the ONLY magazine I still read. Said goodbye to Time, Sports Illustrated, etc. years ago. The scorn for this magazine is puzzling? Not sure why a wine lover would not enjoy pieces on winemakers and wine regions throughout the world? Sometimes Berserkers seem too "cool" for their own good.

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Steve L Gellman » December 2nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

I do for $2 a year through company discount. I have the same $2 option for many magazines from Car & Driver to Food & Wine and everything in between

GregT

#31 Post by GregT » December 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

Like others, I get it through miles or the $2 renewal. And I don't understand the scorn either. Seriously - if people read have the posts on this forum, they read a lot more pretentious drivel than they would in the WS and they would read and find answers to questions just as dumb as those addressed in the magazine.

The WS casts a wide net so they don't only write in-depth articles that only appeal to someone who can actually taste the difference in wine from a Zalto vs a Riedel. They write to a less discerning audience that nonetheless, likes wine. Every so often the do a pretty good article, although again, those are generally overviews.

And some of the reviewers have pretty decent palates. I've met and had dinner with a few and I always love reading posts disparaging them, written by people who've decided to start collecting wine a couple of years ago. Yeah, they're worth criticizing much of the time, but so are all critics for all things. The magazine generally takes only a few minutes to page through and maybe a few minutes extra if there's an article I care to read. As a rule, I'd far rather read an article in the WS than 99 percent of the various blogs or articles in newspapers. At least it will have been edited somewhat, and will generally come from someone who knows a little tiny bit about the subject covered.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Gabe Berk

#32 Post by Gabe Berk » December 2nd, 2019, 3:59 pm

I buy one at the airport when flying just to kill time and get a sense of what others are writing about wine. Rarely do I see the amount of 97-100 pointers from WS as often as you do with Dunnuck, Galloni, Parker, Suckling, etc.

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Peter Shurman » December 2nd, 2019, 9:51 pm

FWS.

[cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Markus S

#34 Post by Markus S » December 3rd, 2019, 9:30 am

Michael Martin wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:41 pm
Paul Miller wrote:
Miles
Miles are not really "free", as there is a cost and value to them, usually between 1-2 cents per mile.
$ _ € ® e . k @

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 3rd, 2019, 9:36 am

Markus S wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 9:30 am
Michael Martin wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Miles
Miles are not really "free", as there is a cost and value to them, usually between 1-2 cents per mile.
Unless you have some useless cache of miles on an airline you don't normally fly. I had 19,000 miles on Delta, which I never fly anymore. Useless. Any assigned value, even 1 or 2 cents per mile is fictitious at best.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by John Morris » December 3rd, 2019, 9:37 am

Markus S wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Miles
Hence Shanken can count these as paid subscriptions, I bet!

John Danza

#37 Post by John Danza » December 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am

I get mine for free as well using miles on an airline I haven't flown for years. It's about the right value for Wine Spectator.

I like keeping WS in the bathroom when I have a few minutes to kill every morning. [snort.gif]
John Danza

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Chris Seiber » December 3rd, 2019, 10:20 am

I think my mother in law renews it for me every year as a Christmas present or something.

It's something I'll glance through the breakfast table or something at times. I don't read it much anymore, but it's not unpleasant to have around for some idle time. I enjoy seeing the photos of different wine regions.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by John Davis » December 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am

John Danza wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am
I get mine for free as well using miles on an airline I haven't flown for years. It's about the right value for Wine Spectator.

I like keeping WS in the bathroom when I have a few minutes to kill every morning. [snort.gif]
[/quot

Pretty much the same. It is more of a lifestyle magazine anyway. But I don’t get not taking it as some badge of honor, either.
ITB

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Hank Victor » December 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 7:12 pm
If anybody wants it for free I get mine from Rewardsurvey.com and have for years. You answer a couple of dumb questions about a product and can pick out free mags. Some want to lock you in with auto renewal so they charge .99 cents up front but WS never has.

I just did a survey and re-upped with WS, added whisky advocate, Food and Wine and Robb Report. SI is offered right now too as The selections change periodically it seems.

To Marks question, I enjoy it for a 15 minute read but wouldnt pay much to keep it.
Thanks
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Gordon Fitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Gordon Fitz » December 3rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

Enjoy reading it every month. I always liked Kramer’s pieces. They have good articles on travel and places to eat. We’re doing Champagne next summer with many of the stops being their recommendations from over the years.

As stated above, I likewise have drank and tasted with some of their writers. They have very good palates and their ratings are typically logical and understandable after you have a feel for their palate. A lot better source than a community ranking system with rankings for the same wine routinely going from 78 to 96!

I keep all WS vintage rankings guides. A very valuable resource to me.

The online threads by their writers are good also. The writers will often take part in the threads and explain behind the scenes details in the industry that aren’t always apparent. They often provide a different slant to news than the winemakers or winery owners put forward.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by David Glasser » December 3rd, 2019, 1:22 pm

I’ll occasionally get it for 6 months or so out of the blue. No idea how or why. Occasionally there’s a travel piece that gets my attention. It’s kind of the anti-Playboy: I look at it for the pictures more than the stories.

Larry Stein

#43 Post by Larry Stein » December 3rd, 2019, 4:12 pm

I get it with a $2/year subscription. Would never pay full amount for it.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Nick Gangas » December 3rd, 2019, 4:59 pm

I still get it and read every issue. They have some fun articles and producer profiles. Also I must say, since the Suck and whatever the old Napa guy have retired, the reviews are much more sane.

markjchambers

#45 Post by markjchambers » December 3rd, 2019, 5:22 pm

Pretty pictures. Good travel articles. I miss Matt Kramer - he was the best. And they do tel youl something about the wine they review. Now that the Wine Advocate is what it has become, where do you go for reviews? And the NY Wine Experience was pretty amazing before it turned into a zoo.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by John Glas » December 3rd, 2019, 5:39 pm

[quoteI do for $2 a year through company discount. I have the same $2 option for many magazines from Car & Driver to Food & Wine and everything in between][/quote] I think I would do up to a dollar on the Food and Wine. $2 for WS I would be in.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Michael Martin » December 3rd, 2019, 5:50 pm

Markus S wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Miles
If they are about to expire and the airline offers you magazines instead of them going into the waste can, that’s free.

DennizE

#48 Post by DennizE » December 4th, 2019, 11:04 am

I subscribe to the online version. They have some good articles every now and then but it's not something I spend hours at every day. I enjoy reading about wine and their articles about Napa news are pretty interesting.
D. Ekholm

Return to “Wine Talk”