TN: 2017 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2017 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

#1 Post by Kirk.Grant » December 1st, 2019, 3:45 pm

• 2017 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (11/28/2019)
    Well, the case arrived about a week ago & I decided to break my “rules” to try one out early. I’m damn glad I did, this is flat out Gorgeous!! It’s been open for about 8 hours and the bottle was 3/4 full when I started this note. This is deeper in color than the 2010 or 2011 were, it kind of reminds me of a hybrid between 2012 & 2016 vintages.

A deep ruby core leading to a lighter shade at the meniscus. Scents of high toned red fruits, spice, with a hint of Rose & lilac that fades away softly as if the final note of an opera lingers in the theatre hall. Medium bodied with notes of raspberry, bing cherry, and clove come together in a long, slow finish. Outstanding!!!

There is some serious structure here, but the balanced, delicate wine I’ve come to expect feels a little weightier, and intense in 2017. I think this is going to have a long, LONG life with good storage. At 13.2% ABV this light-medium bodied beauty has a bit more oomph than I tend to seek out in Pinot Noir. However, what this really reminds me of is a young Echezeaux or Les Suchots.
Posted from CellarTracker
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2017 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

#2 Post by Adam Noble » December 4th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Mine arrived today in Seattle. Haven't opened one yet though.

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Len Stevens » December 5th, 2019, 9:15 am

Thank you Kirk! Thrilled to see this note. This was my fist year to receive an offer, so I shall be receiving 8 750's along with 2 magnums and am eager to follow their maturity. Normally I like to wait a few months when I receive a shipment from All Ways Cool, but it sounds as if this will be quite a challenge.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Michael O'Brien » December 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Thanks Kirk. Mine arrives tomorrow. I haven't touched any for several years. It is good news that this one is approachable young. I need to go back to CT notes on some of the vintages I have to see how they are developing.
PlanoWino

Return to “Wine Talk”