TN: 2000 Château Haut-Bergey (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2000 Château Haut-Bergey (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

#1 Post by jordan jacobs » December 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm

• 2000 Château Haut-Bergey - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (12/1/2019)
    Excellent showing. Dark core with a ruby edge. Initial nose blew me away. Very feminine, with notes of roses and rhubarb. The perfume hid any trace of oak or wood. However, this feminine nose also came with a more hollow and tart palate.

After about 30 minutes in the glass the nose transitioned to a more typical graves profile as the roses blew off and left a cherry pie nose with wet soil, a hint of charcoal, maybe a bit of cocoa and pain grille. The middle was incredibly smooth, a bit dusty and became a little more weighted as the bottle sat. Very nice spicy finish.

As I said, Excellent showing tonight. 93-94 points.
    PS, it did not pair well the early 80's Lou Reed Concert I put on. Rest of the bottle with be consumed with a Europe 72 Dead Show. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2000 Château Haut-Bergey (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

#2 Post by Kirk.Grant » December 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm

Sounds lovely...some of the mid tier 2000's are really starting to show well. Thanks for the head's up.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Keith A k e r s » December 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm

holy shit!!!!!!!!!!! you're alive

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Vince T » December 1st, 2019, 7:13 pm

Nice note. Sounds much better than the ‘01 I had a couple weeks ago... it was a bit tired and faded, with more oak than fruit.
T s 3 n g

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by jordan jacobs » December 2nd, 2019, 3:20 pm

Keith A k e r s wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm
holy shit!!!!!!!!!!! you're alive
No not true, just an ugly rumor [cheers.gif]

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Jim Stewart » December 2nd, 2019, 3:27 pm

jordan jacobs wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm
  • 2000 Château Haut-Bergey - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (12/1/2019)
    Excellent showing. Dark core with a ruby edge. Initial nose blew me away. Very feminine, with notes of roses and rhubarb. The perfume hid any trace of oak or wood. However, this feminine nose also came with a more hollow and tart palate.

After about 30 minutes in the glass the nose transitioned to a more typical graves profile as the roses blew off and left a cherry pie nose with wet soil, a hint of charcoal, maybe a bit of cocoa and pain grille. The middle was incredibly smooth, a bit dusty and became a little more weighted as the bottle sat. Very nice spicy finish.

PS, it did not pair well the early 80's Lou Reed Concert I put on. Rest of the bottle with be consumed with a Europe 72 Dead Show. (93 pts.)
Nice notes and I found your PS intriguing. Something that I have occasionally thought about myself . . . what music would go with this wine?
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by jordan jacobs » December 2nd, 2019, 3:56 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm
Sounds lovely...some of the mid tier 2000's are really starting to show well. Thanks for the head's up.
I think so. I am opening the 2000 Gruaud on Thursday but I suspect that will show much younger.

Marcu$ Stanley

#8 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » December 2nd, 2019, 6:26 pm

jordan jacobs wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 3:56 pm
Kirk.Grant wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm
I think so. I am opening the 2000 Gruaud on Thursday but I suspect that will show much younger.
I had it over the Thanksgiving holiday and it is just beginning to emerge from its slumber. A lot of cool blue fruit, structure obvious, but very approachable and already quite enjoyable IMO.

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by dsimmons » December 3rd, 2019, 12:08 pm

jordan jacobs wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm

I drank a few bottles of this in 2018 with mixed results. The first was very good but the second bottle a few months later seemed to have lost all of its fruit. One more to drink in the next few years. Your note gives me hope [cheers.gif]
D o n

Return to “Wine Talk”