TN: 2017 Domaine Y. Clerget Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets

• 2017 Domaine Y. Clerget Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (11/30/2019)
    Terrific! Beautiful cherry fruit on the nose. Mild spice. Gorgeous mineral notes interlaced in spicy red fruit on the palate. Silky tannins. Wonderful lingering finish. Energetic. This is A +. So happy to have a few of these.

Posted from CellarTracker

Don,
Thanks for visiting one early. I haven’t opened any of my 2016s or 2017s. I like Clerget and buy a couple Caillerets, Champans, Verseuil and Pommard Rugiens most vintages.
Cheers,
Warren

Glad I have a few of these.

Bought his Clos du Verseuil in 2017. Maybe I should get some Caillerets as well.

In ‘16 I thought Clos du Verseuil was very good but Caillerets was at another level and really excellent. Is it the same in ‘17?

Found a btl of 16, just one tho.

Very nice, Don. Had the Clos du Verseuil a few months ago, had a lot to say but wanted some more time in the bottle. IIRC it was a 17.

I liked the Caillerets quite a bit in 16, but didn’t love the other crus. That’s been my experience with Clerget in other years too.

I like versueil the most, but I do think it and especially Champans need time.

“other years”? His first year was 2015.

The son took over in 2015…

15 and 17, yes.

I find the other crus have a fruit profile that edges into Robitussin-like territory to my palate that I just do not like. A couple other Volnay producers have the same affect on me, including Rossingnol in particular (whom I know you like). A personal preference.

A 2007 a couple of nights ago was drinking very well. Even better on day two.

The wines pre-2015 (I don’t think there were any for a number of years from say 2009 or 10 through 2014) were made by Yvon Clerget. Yvon retired and sold off the grapes until his son Thibault was old enough and ready to take over the winery, which happened in 2015. The wines by the father were stylistically very different from the wines made by the son. IMHO, Thibault has significantly raised the quality of the wines from the winery.

Thanks, Howard. I had heard that, which accounts for the gap between 2009 and 2015. But, I still enjoyed the wine.

I have had the 1999 and it also is enjoyable (and a great value), but I think Thibault’s wines, when mature, will be better.

As the owner of several, I hope you’re right!

Me too

Howard—have you had any from Christian Clerget? I do have a bottle of his Petits Vougeots and would love to have your thoughts if you’ve tried any of the wines.