Old Champagne questions

I have a couple of older Dom Perignon I want to try this weekend. 1964 and 1966 Dom. I am wondering how cold to serve it? What kind of glass. How much air? Anything else? Thanks…

55-60 Degrees F

Smaller white wine glass - I am currently using Grassl Liberte.

Open the bottles 15-20 minutes before serving. If no unpleasant aromas, re-cork.

Good luck - when those two Champagnes are in proper shape they are ridiculously good.

Question - what do the two capsules look like - foil or the day-glo blue/green?

I think the glass is a personal preference, but I generally prefer a non-flute, all-purpose white wine glass (or potentially a Bordeaux-style red wine stem…but avoiding a Burg-style stem). Some like flute-style Champagne glasses, but for me that makes it impossible to smell the wine. When you say “how much air”, if you mean potentially decanting or opening in advance, I would say no way and recommend pop-n-pour. There is some potential in older wines like this that they lose their bubbles fairly quickly, and while some actually desire that outcome, I prefer to enjoy older Champagne with whatever bubbles are still remaining. If you just mean in reference to the appropriate wine stem, then see my prior comment.

Thanks Ray, I was hoping to hear from you. I’ll go check the capsules when I am home. What is the difference, if I might ask. I just checked. There are both types.

The foiled bottle is a late release and disgorgement for either of those vintages. If there are no markings on it, RD etc, then it is impossible to say when it was disgorged other than late seventies to early nineties. The other bottle is an original release and disgorgement.

Agreed - I use (as I’ve preached on here endless times) Gabriel Glas Gold for EVERYTHING, and frankly it’s the best Champagne glass I’ve used. Close second is the Zalto stems, which have a big enough bowl and opening to express the wine inside. It’s fortunate that several manufacturers are now going with a larger bowl, rather than only those silly skinny flute shapes. Riedel has one, etc.

Nice, Thank you. I think I will start this evening with an 1984 Sekt Reserve from Lauer, then move on to at least one of the Dom for tomorrow. I have a huge crowd with tastes from all over. It basically BYOB, so I will have plenty of the bottle for myself. I am only nervous about starting at 55. But I will heed your advice…

Ray -

Where does ‘ridiculously good’ fit in with your scoring? Above or below ‘very good’? Haha

champagne.gif

If you can, keep the bottle on top of ice in between pours. When the bottle gets down to 1/3, take it off ice entirely.

I know you are kidding, but either of those two wines can reach “Killer” status.

I am using Grassl Mineralite and it and the sekt are perfect. I do not have Liberte

A very good alternative.

Charlie,

How were they?

I love my GGGs. Such a fantastic glass. Especially for bubbles.

The sixties is the greatest decade to drink now for Dom Pérignon (except older décades). 62 64 66 69 are fantastic and my ranking is 66 64 62 69.
It means that you are going to drink legends.
In this respect, drink them as great wines, more than champagnes.
Serve them not as cold as a normal champagne. More like a Burgundy white.
Do not expect bubbles, look for the sparkling.
Drink them religiously.
Open them one hour before drinking, and do not care for the lack of bubbles.
Enjoy.

Thank you Ray and François and others. The 1966, I could not wake up. It was hinting at sherry and a little volatile. I tried for a few hours, coming back now and then, I just couldn’t make it work.