Interesting recent experience at a restaurant that allowed corkage...

Last night I, along with my spouse, two siblings and their spouses and my father, celebrated my mom’s birthday at a local restaurant (not in Seattle, in the Yakima Valley where they live). With all of the cooking around this holiday, we were all in favor (including Mom) of not cooking or doing dishes. I called ahead and asked about corkage and was told it was $10. Wow! Great deal. I took a magnum of 2015 DeLille D2 (the wine was very nice, by the way). There was eight total diners, so the red was going to satisfy most of us, but we each ordered either a glass of white or a beer from the list as we all sat down and looked at the menus. We finally had to ask our server to open the magnum. She did so and offered me a taste. When I said, “Thanks, that’s great,” she then plunked the opened bottle down in the middle of the table and walked away. She didn’t pour anyone anything, didn’t offer to pour, and didn’t offer ever again for the rest of the dinner. While we’re perfectly capable of pouring our own wine, it came across as if to say, “Well, if you’re going to be cheap and bring in your own wine, you can serve it yourself. I’m not helping.” We all, of course, tipped well knowing we were only paying $10 for the privilege (which is what it is), but I was still just a little put off.

Anyway…we had a lovely dinner and it didn’t change the evening one iota. I just thought it was odd. Am I off base?

I don’t think that’s typical, but it doesn’t sound like this place commonly has a lot of ppl bring wine or have a particularly strong wine program.

I wish every waiter would let me pour my own wine. Typically they pour every glass too full, and keep on refilling as fast as the wine is consumed.

I’m from Yakima, heading back there for the holiday in about an hour. I won’t lie, pretty curious about which restaurant this was!

Yes, if there is a restaurant in Yakima worth eating at, I’d like to know.

I’m usually happier pouring my own, and at the only places in NYC that charge $10 corkage (usually Chinese restaurants) we open our own as well.
I wouldn’t expect wine service/
And most places would have charged corkage per 750.
So you came out way ahead

I probably have expected her to pour a round, then would have shrugged and forgotten about it.

10 bucks for a mag and leave me alone sounds almost perfect to me.

+1

you paid $10 corkage for a magnum and were left alone with it without any fuss, etc. you should go out and buy a lottery ticket!

+1

Unless this is a very fancy restaurant I don’t think this is odd at all. ‘Pour it yourself’ is definitely one of the common approaches I’ve seen, and I’ve brought a lot of wine to restaurants. Don’t read anything into the server’s behavior.

I agree with many above… you should be thrilled. I would jump at that deal any day.

I agree with everything said here. $10 is ridiculously cheap and I would rather pour myself. Also, I think this is common in many restaurants. Even fancy places I tell them I will pour.

Oh, believe you all me, I was very happy to learn that it was only ten bucks! That’s what I call a screaming deal. I guess it was an appropriate response…good to know. Thanks for setting me straight.

She just may have been clueless - it might not have been the policy of the restaurant. But as the others said - you made out. I usually have to tell them that we will be pouring our own wine. You did good!

Like Peter I also wish 99% of servers were like this.

I can even open the wine myself :wink:

Yeah I’d rather open and pour myself as well.

It is my strong preference for servers/staff to not pour the wine -ever, whether brought in or bought from the restaurant. People drink at different paces, drink different amounts, like some wines better than others. In many environments from fancy to casual often they are basically dumping bottles in as many glasses as fast as they can. With respect and admiration for the profession and how hard the work is, I have been trying to figure out a polite way to request non action when it comes to pouring wine. Open to thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

I would have been perfectly super-trooper happy with it …
[cheers.gif]

I had a not—too-dissimilar experience recently. Brought a bottle, the server said they charge corkage, I said no problem, then she handed me a corkscrew and that was that. Like most/all on this post I was pleased as punch, but I’ve never had them hand me a wine key before :slight_smile: