Louis Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques 2015: Drink now or hold ?

I purchased a single bottle as a birthday gift for a soon to be septuagenarian. This “gentleman” (and he is that when on his best behavior) has no experience with “high-level” Burgundy. This bottling (but not year) was pointed to elsewhere on WB as one that offered a high-level Burgundy experience at a reasonable cost. Additionally, notes on CT seem very positive on the 2015. Given that this is likely to be a one-off, would you drink this bottle now to celebrate the birthday or hold for a while?
Thanks for your thoughts.

CSJ is a fairly big wine, I’d hold. I would suggest purchasing an older Jadot CSJ. 2000, 2001 and 2002 vintages of this should be drinking well now. (I’ve not had the 01, but the 02 is the best bottle of Jadot I’ve ever had period). They’re also in some cases going to be cheaper than the 15 CSJ.

I stopped buying in 2010 but have cellared more of this than any other wine, and still have '93 and '97, which are just becoming enjoyable now, at least to my taste. Unless it’s already shutting down, for someone in their 70s I’d probably go ahead and open and enjoy for the big ripe vintage character because I don’t expect it will improve that much until they’re close to their 90s. This wine takes a lot longer to come around than many people give it credit for. I must have consumed a half case of 1990 on release, very enjoyable wine then, very black fruited and balanced, the first burg I tried with a touch of orange peel character, from another warm vintage. I wonder if these are similar.

Definitely open now…once it shuts down it’ll likely take 20+ years to get back to where it is now (in a different way of course). Besides, notes on CT are quite positive.

Interesting comment . . . no, a twenty year hold can be ruled out! [cheers.gif]

I love this, since I often struggle with ‘am I opening this ‘prized’ bottle too early?’ and find myself stuck in that 20-year window when I don’t take advantage of young drinking windows as well. One of the reasons I plan to pull one of the '16 Clinet bottles from offsite storage, as everybody here is saying it’s incredible right now

I agree and I am also leaning that way ! More consequential decision when it is a “one off” and not a “one-of”. [cheers.gif]

Drink them young, drink them old but never in between.

Trü facts.

I’m strongly of the opinion with Burgundy that one should drink them young or drink them old but not in between.

Unless you are buying something older to replace this for him I’d open it now as it will probably shut down in the not too distant future and then you won’t want to touch it for 10 years at least.

Except for the issue of age (of the gentleman) I cannot see any reason to open a wine like this NOW.
There are so many “better suited” vintages and wines … even a 1999 Jadot CStJ was quite youthful in early 2019.

I tasted a 2015 “Bourgogne rouge” on WE, from a well-reputed domaine … it didn´t give much except full ripe red fruit and good structure … “drinkable” but not enjoyable - but the 2006 was excellent 3 months ago.

Agree, but a 2015 is not “young” anymore … in the sense of drinkability … usually 12 to 24 months after bottling, not much later! (but depending on the vintage)

P.S. You now have me thinking about buying and opening a “one off” of the '16 Clinet !!!

" . . . ay, there’s the rub"

You have a point there though it varies so much from vintage to vintage that I’m reluctant to generalize.

The only 2015 I’ve had in the last year (Mugnier NSG Marechale) didn’t seem shut down though it was really, really ripe so that might have misled me. As I didn’t try that on release it might have been showing more Burgundian then.

Don’t know for CSJ Jadot… but some 2015 still drink well and waiting for 2039 does not look an attractive idea… even if it will be better then