Langhe wine producers association proclaims '19 a "classic" year

It looks like '19 will be a better year in the Langhe than '17 or '18. It seems like all good news except for the reference in passing at the end to it not being a bountiful year. This the press release from the consorzio’s US PR firm. There’s a slightly different translation on the website of the consorzio.

The Consorzio di Tutela Barolo Barbaresco Alba Langhe e Dogliani counts 500 members in the Langhe region.

THE 2019 BAROLO & BARBARESCO HARVEST REPORT INDICATES A CLASSIC VINTAGE WITH QUALITY FRUIT AND STRONG AGING POTENTIAL

A slight drop in production and a long growing season show promise for the 2019 vintage in anticipation of the Barolo & Barbaresco World Opening Events

November 26, 2019 (New York, NY) – The Consorzio di Tutela Barolo Barbaresco Alba Langhe e Dogliani, the association representing almost 500 wineries in Piedmont, Italy, is pleased to release the 2019 Barolo & Barbaresco harvest report. Unlike 2018, which was particularly precocious, 2019 has demonstrated to be a classic vintage, showing signs of good structure, ideal balance, and excellent aging ability. This news comes in anticipation of the Barolo & Barbaresco World Opening event in New York City, February 4th and 5th, 2020, where an array of vintages currently available on the market will be poured for press, trade, and consumers.

The growth year started slowly for Barolo & Barbaresco due to winter weather conditions pushing through February, followed by a period of rain and low temperatures until the middle of March. April brought continued wet conditions with more moderate temperatures and the opportunity for water to accumulate in the soil. Due to this water accumulation and a spike in temperatures during June, rapid plant growth occurred at the beginning of Summer. As a result, vineyard managers were required to pay close attention to protecting the plant from potential health issues. The hottest period in the season was recorded between the last week in June and the first in July, followed by days on which milder temperatures alternated with rain. A second heatwave was recorded at the end of July, ending in intense storms that did not damage the vines; the remainder of the summer season was marked by a mild climate, with regular, sporadic rainfall.

September began with a hailstorm that caused substantial damage in two localized areas on the hills around Alba, missing most of the Barolo & Barbaresco region. Harvest commenced for Nebbiolo during the second half of October and exhibited fruit with good sugar levels and a superb polyphenol profile. The wines can be expected to have brilliant color, excellent structure, and age ability. Overall, 2019 is a traditional vintage with high-quality production despite a slight drop in quantity in comparison to 2018.

“The 2019 harvest hasn’t been abundant, but the quality of grapes is well above average,” confirmed the Consorzio’s technical office, “As a result, we can expect great wines with distinctive character.”

When I was there, they were having record heat waves after months of serious drought. I can’t imagine that is good?

just one data point, but I was there from the week before picking began, until the week after; I’ve been in other regions since this time. I will be there again 2-6 Dec., but I’m seeing a good vintage (normal distribution of highs and lows, based solely on fruit, etc.), nothing more. Of course, these wines aren’t even out of the womb yet, so their PR release is perfectly useless.

A vintage to follow, sure, and, in time, maybe more; for some, definitely not all.

Who knows, maybe picking into October is the new bar for a Classic designation at this point? Oy.

In Terriciola now, moving tomorrow for 5 days in Veneto.

I have always thought that in trade-speak there are only three types of vintages - great vintages (vintages of the century?), classic vintages (about average) and useful vintages (vintages that need drinking before they all apart).

The release says that heavy rainfall early in the year meant the soil had accumulated moisture. And they say that, after hot weather in June and early July and a spike in late July, it was otherwise temperate.

It is a PR release, afterall, but it’s interesting that they kind of downplay '18 as “precocious,” even though lesser wines from '18 are in the market. That seems somewhat candid.

That was what I found most interesting, having not paid much attention to the '18 vintage as of yet. Doesn’t sound promising!

So is this press release saying '19 is not, at least for now, a “great” vintage? 2019 is birth year for my second little one.