1996 Poujeaux – one for traditionalists

For those who like old style Bordeaux this is the wine of dreams. The color is a heathy ruby with a small rim and no orange so far (stored in an active cellar since release). You will find a nose full of classic cedar, barbecue smoke, cherries and spice box. At the palate the wine is medium in body and offers more of the sour cherries, a hint of caramel/vanilla, some curry and soy and fine acid. The aftertaste is moderately sweet and medium long. I think this wine is at its peak, still fresh and will last some more years when well stored. This Poujeaux is in need of food and a steak from a charcoal grill would be the perfect match.

Sounds excellent, great note!

Awesome, will sniff around to see if any is available in the market. I had the 1995 a couple of years ago and thought the same thing. It’s a shame this château no longer taste like that.

Their 1997 was one of the better wines of a lackluster vintage.

I have not had any Poujeaux in quite some time.

That is true. 1997 Poujeaux was on of the best Left Bank Bordeaux. I owned a case but have not bottle left. 95/96/97 was a trio of very fine Poujeaux. I drank lots of it. And you could buy the wines for a song. Unbelievable QPR.

Drank a 2010 and thought it excellent. It was even better after I tasted the next wine in the line-up: 2015 Grand Mayne. This was oak staves dipped in syrup and of course and much higher scoring wine with the critics.

I couldn’t agree more, Jürgen! The 1997 Poujeaux was even better than the 1997 Latour.