TNs: William and Mary Proprietary Reds--2016 vs 2017

I pulled both of these last night spur of the moment. We were sitting at the table with a lot of wine already cranking and we started talking about this wine. So, I grabbed the 2016 first, which is my final bottle. We then thought, hell, why not open the 2017, so out that one came from the cellar and we got that one into the glasses. Neither bottle was finished so I was able this afternoon to sit down and taste both again, side by side. They are different, in part I assume because one is a year younger but there are at this point some distinct taste differences. Personally, I like the 2016 better, as it has some older school edges, whereas the 2017 seems framed more by a more modern feel. I would say to not overthink my ‘modern’ comment, as I don’t find the 2017 to be modern-era Napa, which I personally don’t care for. Neither wine seems too cut into that territory so my comments are meant to add context. In fact, aside from Matthiasson, the William and Mary wines are the only Napa reds I own, so that should help fill in the picture for those reading my TNs below, too. I appreciate Will for what he is working to craft here, and enjoy both wines, with the nod for me going to the 2016.

• 2016 William & Mary Proprietary Red Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District (11/25/2019)
    Opened yesterday so it’s had about 24 hours of air. Tasting without food and no other wines (other than the 2017 which for a side by side comparison). The aromatics on this show a mix of dark berry, spice box, pencil shaving and some French oak. Mixes some plush flavors of tangy dark cherry, cigar leaf, red licorice, iron and bitter chocolate. There is good tang in the wine, married up with the wood and red fruited notes. Will need more time for all of this to settle together. I like the intensity, the flavors mixing together.
  • 2017 William & Mary Proprietary Red Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District (11/25/2019)
    First bottle of three. Tasted side by side with the 2016, with both wines opened yesterday at the same time, seeing just under 24 hours of air. It’s interesting putting this alongside the 2016. The way I see the 2017, using 2016 as a comparator, is that the 2017 drinks more intense for me, with more focused fruit, somewhat richer, too. The cherry here is tinged with some black fruit, yet it also seems to have similar acidity to the 2016, with maybe the 2016 being a bit more angular and tangy, which I enjoy. Where the 2017 is likely to surpass the 2016 is in the overall pleasure scale, since the fruit seems to be more intense to me. I also see the new wood on the 2017 to be less prominent. So, for me it comes down to whether you want more acidity and edges, which is the 2016, versus the 2017 that has more depth and a bit more modern in taste. Both are terrific.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great notes, Frank - I very much agree with your description of the 2017, which imo will be pretty awesome in 3-5+ years.

Fantastic to have the chance to try them with 24 hours of air, as it gives a glimpse at how great these wines will be. I know many love young cabs, and those people will absolutely LOVE these wines…I like a bit of age on mine, even just a few years, so when next I open one, I’ll give a full day decant as well

Thanks for the notes Frank. I’ll open one of my '17’s if Todd French comes to the Di Fara’s offline in NYC (Brooklyn) on Fat Tuesday. Otherwise I’ll wait a couple of years to taste.

Great notes, appreciate your sacrifice…”in the name of science” of course