TN: A Good Sunday, The Mixtape, Vol II: (Pax, Broc, Pepiere, Jadot, Hudelot Noellat, Charvin, Rouchier, L'Aiguelire)

Got together with some of the usual suspects last night for a random collection of wines at no-frills Au Rendezvous in ATL. We decided on a blind Burgundy flight and a blind red random flight after starting with a domestic Trousseau Gris taste-off. All the wines showed very well, that is always a good thing. Per usual, I tried to jot some notes on all of our collective musings as we worked through the wines. [cheers.gif]

A GOOD SUNDAY, THE MIXTAPE, VOL II: (PAX, BROC, PEPIERE, JADOT, HUDELOT, CHARVIN, ROUCHIER, L’AIGUELIRE) - (11/25/2019)

• 2018 Broc Cellars Trousseau Gris - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Served alongside the Pax Trousseau Gris: Interesting wine. Looks like an orange wine. Cloudy. Herbal/umami/miso notes that are interesting. Super natty-like. Female Armpit hair. Put on that 11/6/77 show. Fun wine, good with food.
  • 2018 Pax Trousseau Gris Fanucchi Wood Road Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Next to the Broc Trousseau Gris: This one shows cleaner than the Broc. Crushable wine. Savory element that is really appealing. Core of red fruit and really lively acidity. Felt like a more complete wine and really popped with the food. Good wine.
  • 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Gorges - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine
    Blind: This was hard to peg. Guesses were all over the place. It was closed aromatically on opening. Slowly coaxed out sweet floral and lemon/melon citrus flavors. Nicely balanced, acidity that comes on in waves. Skilled wine-making. Terrific with the escargot and mussels dishes.

• 1996 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    Blind- just about everyone though Gevrey, though I tipped a hand as listed several wine I was thinking of bringing before we decided on blinds. Right out of the gate with waves of aged red burgundy fragrance. That haunting nose that is autumnal and earthy. Palate is packed with dark fruit and a powerful vibrant core. Hints of mint. 96 acid has integrated. Still youthful. Just great with years to go.
  • 1998 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Brilliant wine. Served blind alongside the '96 Jadot CSJ. Next to the CSJ this comes across with more refinement, less workhorse, more elegant. Cleaner, with precise red fruit, strawberry and hints of vanilla and earthy comfort. Soft palate presence. Weightless and pure, but still feeling compact and room to still unfold. Bravo. Thanks Mike!

• 2000 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Served blind. Didn’t scream southern Rhone, almost felt like it belonged in the Burgundy flight. Was very polished and leaning to the graceful side. Time has done it good. Ready to drink, not a lot of stuffing, but very elegant red fruit and earthy-peppery notes. A very good showing.
  • 1995 Domaine l’Aiguelière Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux Cote Doree - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux Cote Doree
    Blind: the most interesting wine of the night. It said Cab Franc to me. Lots of green pepper and earth tones and a red fruit that made me think of Olga Raffault. Very interesting to see what it was. Very good showing at 25 for a wine I had very little prior knowledge of. I just wouldn’t guess Syrah. Good with beef bourguignon.
  • 2015 Martine Rouchier St. Joseph Luc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    This was nothing like the '16 from last week. This one is showing more Beaujolais-like- Natty upfront shiny fruit. Doesn’t speak of syrah. Fairly open and ready to go. Just Decent, but not much more.

Posted from CellarTracker

Not the 15 nor the Gorges, but if you have any of the 2007 Briords left, I would say drink up. Opened a bottle over the weekend and while still good, feel it is beginning to decline.

Thanks, Markus. Good to know. A friend brought this and while not typically something I buy it was very nice.

Great notes! Good stuff all around, and the Les Suchots in particular was stellar.

Fun mix, thanks for the TNs Dennis. I haven’t had the Trousseau Gris from either of them, so good to see notes on those. Some of the 98 Burgs can be really ethereal, this sounds like it was one of them.

A bientot

Mike

Hi Mike- The TGs were new to me as well. Brad wanted to do a comparison and glad we did it this way. That '98 was so good. The Clos Saint Jacques came first and was really, really great, and then the HN came along and just turned it up a notch. Great wines. Cheers!

Thanks for posting your notes, it was a fun night where almost everything showed well and there were some exciting wines I hadn’t had before. The Trousseau Gris and Burg flights were particularly interesting. One minor correction, the L’Aigueliere was the Côte Dorée. I’m already looking forward to the next dinner.

Ah, thanks for the correction! I was trying to figure that out this morning. Again soon! [cheers.gif]