Has anybody started trying Bordeaux 2005s? What are your views?

Apart from Cru Bourgeois, I’ve only dared open a handful of Left Bank wines so far, nothing top notch, wines like Chasse-Spleen, Poujeaux, Pedesclaux and Lynch-Moussas. So far, the only wine I’ve been really impressed by is La Tour de Mons.

On the Right Bank, I sold most of mine several years ago. I did try Beauregard this weekend: nothing special.

I had high hopes for the Crus Bourgeois several years ago - wines like Citran were very promising. But I tried Citran last week and like most of the wines tried in the last year, the tannins are still quite fiery and the fruit is fading fast. Beauregard was exactly the same.

Have any of you tried any? What do you think?

I pulled a bottle of Leoville Barton out and quickly put it back Saturday. I want to, but they were good on release and I’ll probably wait til 2025 to start opening upper echelon wines. A Sociando Mallet this year wasn’t very forgiving til Day 3.

I had a 2000 and 2005 Grand Puy Lacoste side by side last month with a buddy, and thought the 05 was killer… ran out and bought some more.

Not sure that’s a super helpful data point, but the wine was singing that night.

I’ve only had a few recent left bankers like Leoville Barton and Montrose as a friend brought it to dinner. Sit. On. Them. Excellent left bank vintage but needs more time. Honestly, these two wines are killer but need 10 more for the sweet spot.

Sell off or cook with most of your St Ems. I did the former, didn’t wanna ruin my meal. :wink:

Unless you’re opening entry level wines, these will be too young for my palate. I have enjoyed a 2005 Prieure Lichine from 375mL, but that still needs more time until peak.

I think the only Right Bankers I have left are mags of La Croix St. George and Monbousquet, not worried about either.

1 Like

I have been eyeing a case of 05 Lenoir Les Roches Chinon. Yes I know, not Bordeaux but still…

2005 is the first vintage of Bordeaux that I bought a significant number of, and based on what I’ve seen, I’m waiting. I have enjoyed all my 2005 Phelan Segur, which was drinking quite well young, and have a case of '05 Lanessan coming my way (auction purchase) soon, which I’ll be enjoying over the next 12-24 months while I wait for the long-term aging '05’s to settle down :slight_smile:

Cheers guys - yes, I’ll probably get rid of the dozen or so RBs I have left.

That Chinon sounds like a good idea, although probably quite pricey. The Loire 2005s I’ve tried so far have been a lot better than the Bordeaux - although very structured, less tannic and with more vibrant fruit.

Sorry, to be clearer, the ones I’m concerned about are wines like Armailhac, HBL, Batailley, Prieure-Lichine and Lagrange, which I would normally expect to be at least approachable by now, although if SM isn’t, they probably aren’t either.

I’ll just be patient and keep my fingers crossed.

1 Like

I have no experience with Batailley or Prieure-Lichine, but I would definitely wait on Armailhac and Lagrange, both of which seem to peak when the better wines of a vintage peak, a la '00, '82, and I assume '05 would be the same!

I have a lot of d’Armailhac. No worries, I’m thinking prime at age 20. Sorta my target for wines like that, Sociando, La Louviere, Gloria, Cantemerle, etc. incidentally, I was not too enamored with Cantemerle in this vintage.

I liked :
Carmes Haut-Brion 2005 (verticale at the domain - 17+/20 in jun 2015)
Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre 2005 : 17/20 in july 2017
Montrose 2005 (17/20 in 2014)

Some nice Sauternes 2005 too (including La Tour Blanche)

I’ll pile on and agree that even low end 05s can benefit from more time.

I wasn’t enthralled by the 05 Cantemerle either when I tried it, it seemed over extracted.

Cantemerle was one of the wines that got me worrying - tons of tannins and not much fruit! Others have liked it better, so perhaps just a bad experience.

I agree about waiting for Armailhac, although the 00 was drinking well from an early age.

Ok, I’m worrying unduly!

1 Like

I had this Lenoir red Chinon 2005 in march 2019. Very good but needs time. [cheers.gif]

I have enjoyed excellent bottles of Château de la Rivière, Fronsac and Bernadotte, Haut-Médoc earlier this year, and sublime bottles of Ferrière, Margaux and Fonroque, Saint-Emilion. None of them was too young for my palate.
BTW, Fonroque is organically certified since 2005.

Yeah, I know you’re right.

1 Like

Still waiting on my 2005s. I went seriously overboard on this vintage and sold about half of it when we downsized 2 years ago. Tasted a bunch to decide what to keep and what to send off. Most still needed 7-10 years back then, including Prieure Lichine from your list, so no more recent experience for most of them. Lanessan is drinking well.

Ah, I have forgotten to mention two excellent second wines: Clémentin de Pape Clément and
Le Sillage de Malartic.

Yes, 2005s Loire reds have come into their own. I had another beautiful bottle of Baudry Croix Boissée. Pristine fruit and mineral profile. Had it next to a 2005 Lafon-Rochet, a property I find to provide really good value and makes wines in a style that work for me. I found it relatively open. It wasn’t backward and should continue to improve but I won’t be burying the bottles.