Has anybody started trying Bordeaux 2005s? What are your views?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

Has anybody started trying Bordeaux 2005s? What are your views?

#1 Post by Julian Marshall » November 25th, 2019, 7:40 am

Apart from Cru Bourgeois, I've only dared open a handful of Left Bank wines so far, nothing top notch, wines like Chasse-Spleen, Poujeaux, Pedesclaux and Lynch-Moussas. So far, the only wine I've been really impressed by is La Tour de Mons.

On the Right Bank, I sold most of mine several years ago. I did try Beauregard this weekend: nothing special.

I had high hopes for the Crus Bourgeois several years ago - wines like Citran were very promising. But I tried Citran last week and like most of the wines tried in the last year, the tannins are still quite fiery and the fruit is fading fast. Beauregard was exactly the same.

Have any of you tried any? What do you think?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Has anybody started trying Bordeaux 2005s? What are your views?

#2 Post by Kris Patten » November 25th, 2019, 7:44 am

I pulled a bottle of Leoville Barton out and quickly put it back Saturday. I want to, but they were good on release and I'll probably wait til 2025 to start opening upper echelon wines. A Sociando Mallet this year wasn't very forgiving til Day 3.
ITB

Andrew Gold

#3 Post by Andrew Gold » November 25th, 2019, 7:48 am

I had a 2000 and 2005 Grand Puy Lacoste side by side last month with a buddy, and thought the 05 was killer... ran out and bought some more.

Not sure that's a super helpful data point, but the wine was singing that night.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 25th, 2019, 7:52 am

I’ve only had a few recent left bankers like Leoville Barton and Montrose as a friend brought it to dinner. Sit. On. Them. Excellent left bank vintage but needs more time. Honestly, these two wines are killer but need 10 more for the sweet spot.

Sell off or cook with most of your St Ems. I did the former, didn’t wanna ruin my meal. ;)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by AAgrawal » November 25th, 2019, 7:54 am

Unless you're opening entry level wines, these will be too young for my palate. I have enjoyed a 2005 Prieure Lichine from 375mL, but that still needs more time until peak.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Kris Patten » November 25th, 2019, 7:55 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 7:52 am
I’ve only had a few recent left bankers like Leoville Barton and Montrose as a friend brought it to dinner. Sit. On. Them. Excellent left bank vintage but needs more time. Honestly, these two wines are killer but need 10 more for the sweet spot.

Sell off or cook with most of your St Ems. I did the former, didn’t wanna ruin my meal. ;)
I think the only Right Bankers I have left are mags of La Croix St. George and Monbousquet, not worried about either.
ITB

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 25th, 2019, 7:57 am

I have been eyeing a case of 05 Lenoir Les Roches Chinon. Yes I know, not Bordeaux but still...
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#8 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 25th, 2019, 7:58 am

2005 is the first vintage of Bordeaux that I bought a significant number of, and based on what I've seen, I'm waiting. I have enjoyed all my 2005 Phelan Segur, which was drinking quite well young, and have a case of '05 Lanessan coming my way (auction purchase) soon, which I'll be enjoying over the next 12-24 months while I wait for the long-term aging '05's to settle down :)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Julian Marshall » November 25th, 2019, 8:03 am

Cheers guys - yes, I'll probably get rid of the dozen or so RBs I have left.

That Chinon sounds like a good idea, although probably quite pricey. The Loire 2005s I've tried so far have been a lot better than the Bordeaux - although very structured, less tannic and with more vibrant fruit.

Sorry, to be clearer, the ones I'm concerned about are wines like Armailhac, HBL, Batailley, Prieure-Lichine and Lagrange, which I would normally expect to be at least approachable by now, although if SM isn't, they probably aren't either.

I'll just be patient and keep my fingers crossed.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 25th, 2019, 8:10 am

Julian Marshall wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 8:03 am

That Chinon sounds like a good idea, although probably quite pricey. The Loire 2005s I've tried so far have been a lot better than the Bordeaux - although very structured, less tannic and with more vibrant fruit.

Sorry, to be clearer, the ones I'm concerned about are wines like Armailhac, HBL, Batailley, Prieure-Lichine and Lagrange, which I would normally expect to be at least approachable by now, although if SM isn't, they probably aren't either.

I have no experience with Batailley or Prieure-Lichine, but I would definitely wait on Armailhac and Lagrange, both of which seem to peak when the better wines of a vintage peak, a la '00, '82, and I assume '05 would be the same!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 25th, 2019, 8:10 am

I have a lot of d’Armailhac. No worries, I’m thinking prime at age 20. Sorta my target for wines like that, Sociando, La Louviere, Gloria, Cantemerle, etc. incidentally, I was not too enamored with Cantemerle in this vintage.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Laurent Gibet

#12 Post by Laurent Gibet » November 25th, 2019, 8:17 am

I liked :
Carmes Haut-Brion 2005 (verticale at the domain - 17+/20 in jun 2015)
Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre 2005 : 17/20 in july 2017
Montrose 2005 (17/20 in 2014)

Some nice Sauternes 2005 too (including La Tour Blanche)
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Pat Martin

#13 Post by Pat Martin » November 25th, 2019, 8:17 am

I’ll pile on and agree that even low end 05s can benefit from more time.

I wasn’t enthralled by the 05 Cantemerle either when I tried it, it seemed over extracted.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Julian Marshall » November 25th, 2019, 8:19 am

Cantemerle was one of the wines that got me worrying - tons of tannins and not much fruit! Others have liked it better, so perhaps just a bad experience.

I agree about waiting for Armailhac, although the 00 was drinking well from an early age.

Ok, I'm worrying unduly!

Laurent Gibet

#15 Post by Laurent Gibet » November 25th, 2019, 8:25 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 7:57 am
I have been eyeing a case of 05 Lenoir Les Roches Chinon. Yes I know, not Bordeaux but still...
I had this Lenoir red Chinon 2005 in march 2019. Very good but needs time. [cheers.gif]
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Rudi Finkler

#16 Post by Rudi Finkler » November 25th, 2019, 9:09 am

I have enjoyed excellent bottles of Château de la Rivière, Fronsac and Bernadotte, Haut-Médoc earlier this year, and sublime bottles of Ferrière, Margaux and Fonroque, Saint-Emilion. None of them was too young for my palate.
BTW, Fonroque is organically certified since 2005.
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." Francis Bacon

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 25th, 2019, 9:13 am

Laurent Gibet wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 8:25 am
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
I had this Lenoir red Chinon 2005 in march 2019. Very good but needs time. [cheers.gif]

Yeah, I know you’re right.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by David Glasser » November 25th, 2019, 9:17 am

Still waiting on my 2005s. I went seriously overboard on this vintage and sold about half of it when we downsized 2 years ago. Tasted a bunch to decide what to keep and what to send off. Most still needed 7-10 years back then, including Prieure Lichine from your list, so no more recent experience for most of them. Lanessan is drinking well.

Rudi Finkler

#19 Post by Rudi Finkler » November 25th, 2019, 9:31 am

Ah, I have forgotten to mention two excellent second wines: Clémentin de Pape Clément and
Le Sillage de Malartic.
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." Francis Bacon

Nathan V.

#20 Post by Nathan V. » November 25th, 2019, 9:45 am

Julian Marshall wrote:

Yes, 2005s Loire reds have come into their own. I had another beautiful bottle of Baudry Croix Boissée. Pristine fruit and mineral profile. Had it next to a 2005 Lafon-Rochet, a property I find to provide really good value and makes wines in a style that work for me. I found it relatively open. It wasn't backward and should continue to improve but I won't be burying the bottles.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Kirk.Grant » November 25th, 2019, 9:53 am

I have only opened a 2005 Gloria in the past year. It was lovely, and I really enjoyed it...but it was still very primary(in a good way). I’ve been drinking my 2000 Les Ormes de Pez like they have the cure. I think for my enjoyment it’s the late 70’s & 80’s right now.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 25th, 2019, 9:55 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 8:10 am
I have a lot of d’Armailhac. No worries, I’m thinking prime at age 20. Sorta my target for wines like that, Sociando, La Louviere, Gloria, Cantemerle, etc. incidentally, I was not too enamored with Cantemerle in this vintage.
Bummer about Cantemerle. Why did you not love it?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jay $$ Winton » November 25th, 2019, 10:05 am

I drank a 2005 La Lagune at some point this year. Developing very well and drank equally well after aeration. No rush to drink. I'll say this could be a top vintage for this estate.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

LMD Ermitaño

#24 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 25th, 2019, 10:11 am

I have some ‘05 Pichon Lalande picked up maybe a year ago (I don’t now recall) because the price was simply too tempting. First opened just to try out since I tasted it en primeur - very tight over the course of a casual dinner. A month or two later, I opened one to see how it would be with an hour-and-a-half decant for aeration - materially heftier, deeper & more giving.

Opened another over dinner tonight with a couple of longtime friends - one of whom in Manila for a visit as he’s been based back in Bdx to head/run his family’s Château Siran (his aunt sold Pichon Lalande many years ago). This bottle I decanted for aeration for around 2&1/2 hours, & served it blind.

Edouard quickly identified it as a Pauillac from 2005; but declined to guess the producer. Good enough. Guess he’s been practicing....
059FBE31-FA72-4682-B0DB-4BFB7FDEE733.jpeg
Anyway, it was definitely a nice, enjoyable wine with our identical mains of roasted veal rack. “At peak”? No, but definitely enjoyable. I agree it would be better with more age; but I don’t feel any need to wait on this particular ‘05.
Attachments
2526CAB1-EDD5-4D9A-A29F-203BB11C31FA.jpeg
DA5EA861-E7B1-4F81-9088-803170089DDE.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Julian Marshall » November 26th, 2019, 7:55 am

Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » November 26th, 2019, 8:15 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:11 am
I have some ‘05 Pichon Lalande picked up maybe a year ago (I don’t now recall) because the price was simply too tempting. First opened just to try out since I tasted it en primeur - very tight over the course of a casual dinner. A month or two later, I opened one to see how it would be with an hour-and-a-half decant for aeration - materially heftier, deeper & more giving.

Opened another over dinner tonight with a couple of longtime friends - one of whom in Manila for a visit as he’s been based back in Bdx to head/run his family’s Château Siran (his aunt sold Pichon Lalande many years ago). This bottle I decanted for aeration for around 2&1/2 hours, & served it blind.

Edouard quickly identified it as a Pauillac from 2005; but declined to guess the producer. Good enough. Guess he’s been practicing....

059FBE31-FA72-4682-B0DB-4BFB7FDEE733.jpeg

Anyway, it was definitely a nice, enjoyable wine with our identical mains of roasted veal rack. “At peak”? No, but definitely enjoyable. I agree it would be better with more age; but I don’t feel any need to wait on this particular ‘05.
Thanks for your notes and pics. Always a treat!

LMD Ermitaño

#27 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 26th, 2019, 8:35 am

My pleasure!
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Michael Manix
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Michael Manix » November 26th, 2019, 9:07 am

I like my wine young and primary so take this with a grain of salt. Over the last 12 months, I’ve had 2005 Duhart-Milon, d'Issan, Pontet-Canet, and Cantenac Brown. All were good and pleasurable. If you want the nuances than can only develop over time, 2025 may be the sweet spot.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Joshua Kates » November 26th, 2019, 9:32 am

Julian Marshall wrote:

Julian,
I've had a couple of '05 Lagrange over the last two years. As Todd suggests, they are not all that giving, by no means a sweet spot. With air, 1-2 hr decant, they do show "correctly," as Lagrange tends to do.
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

Ron Erickson

#30 Post by Ron Erickson » November 26th, 2019, 10:55 am

I had a 2005 Cantemerle over the past two nights. Day one it was hollow with a pronounced metallic edge to it. Day two it did open up with dark fruits, but had a bitter core on the close. Not what I was hoping for.

A Laubach

#31 Post by A Laubach » November 26th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Julian Marshall wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 8:19 am
Cantemerle was one of the wines that got me worrying - tons of tannins and not much fruit! Others have liked it better, so perhaps just a bad experience.

I agree about waiting for Armailhac, although the 00 was drinking well from an early age.

Ok, I'm worrying unduly!
Had a bottle of Armailhac the other evening. It was pretty closed upon opening and really took an hour or so to open up a bit. I would probably recommend waiting another 5 years.
Adam L a u b a c h

Victor Hong

#32 Post by Victor Hong » November 26th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I have several cases of La Mission Haut Brion 2005, which I bought cheap (around $200 per bottle) when the Negam-Aki Debacle hit the fan, but have not tried a single bottle. This reminds me to do so.
WineHunter.

M. Meer

#33 Post by M. Meer » November 26th, 2019, 3:30 pm

The only two wines I've tried within the last few years are Beaumont and Camensac. Beaumont is ready to go but Camensac is a lot slower to come around. It budged in the right direction around the third day, showing no decline. I think the tannin is so formidable that it can seem to overtake the fruit, but I think plenty is there to reward patience.

As with 2005 red Burgundy, I am in a holding pattern with anything of consequence.
Mar.kus

Marcu$ Stanley

#34 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » November 26th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I have had some bad 2005 right bank wines, but Conseillante is fantastic and has been for a while.

Ramon C

#35 Post by Ramon C » November 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I've had very good 2005 right bank wines, but limited to Vieux Chateau Certan and L'evangile.
@brera

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Julian Marshall » November 27th, 2019, 12:40 am

Ron Erickson wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 10:55 am
I had a 2005 Cantemerle over the past two nights. Day one it was hollow with a pronounced metallic edge to it. Day two it did open up with dark fruits, but had a bitter core on the close. Not what I was hoping for.
This was my experience too. I like Cantemerle so I'll wait a few more years before trying another, because the difference is so striking compared to what it normally tastes like, and also to the reviews when it was released - for example: "an ethereal seriousness, purity, and overall harmony that are striking for its delicacy and finesse".

Anyway, thanks again to all for the input - I was going to open a few 05s for Xmas, but I'll hold off now.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 28th, 2019, 7:43 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:

I was tracking a 2004 and 2007 Lenoir on WineBid. They started at $35 and $30. I figured they’d hedge up to around $40. Already bid up to $90. Insane. These are very good wines but not $90, IMHO. I’ve had both the 04 and 05, and would have liked more.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 28th, 2019, 7:55 am

$90 is crazy, I just paid less for 1989 l'Echo.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Mike Grammer » November 28th, 2019, 8:01 am

A 2005 Pichon Comtesse from last July still needs time:

"2005 Chateau Pichon-Comtesse

This was the only one of a mini-vertical that I got to. This did have Comtesse's signature elegance of frame to it, and some herbs and brambles and nip of pipe tobacco are interesting accents to red and blackcurrant main themes, but this is one that does need more time to fully come into its own and transfer that frame elegance onto the whole. I'd leave mine another 8 years at least if I were you."

Fieuzal from October 2018, though my tasting note is a day after opening:

"2005 Chateau de Fieuzal

Whiffs of tabac, raspberry and sweet rhubarb play up here. A rare approachable 05, not super but composed with some nice replays."

From the same weekend, a Talbot:

"2005 Chateau Talbot

Tons of structure and redcurrant and blackcurrant galore in bouquet and on palate. Absolutely still closed tight. Try again in 12 years."

And finally, from a month ago, the LLC

"2005 Chateau Leoville Las Cases

Statuesque for sure---lots of mineral and even a kind of ash to the dark berry and currant fruit in the bouquet. Palate finds this still in its infancy, relatively hard to assess where it will end up---there are signs of class and greatness, but it is also tending to a burliness and muscularity right now that might see its way right through the life of the wine. Handle with care and patience, I'd say."
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

JAKE H A N C O C K

#40 Post by JAKE H A N C O C K » November 28th, 2019, 8:09 am

I’ve had 2005 Rauzan Segla, Grand Puy Lacoste, and Haut Bailly in the past year and I thought all three were drinking well. Young and on the upswing but I didn’t regret opening them and found a lot of pleasure in all three.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 28th, 2019, 9:32 am

I have had two halves of VCC 2005. The first with Panos a couple of years ago was almost completely dumb. The second last June was just, and I mean just, a little more showy. I have a case of halves to keep messing around with before I get to the bottles and magnums.

As one of my wines of this fantastic vintage, I bought several cases. I am looking forward to it n full maturity.
ITB

Chris.C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Chris.C. » November 28th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Hi all -

This is my first post on this board. It's very nice to see so many familiar names from the old Squires board, on which I was fairly active 10-15 years ago. Several on this thread. I took a break from wine as a hobby since then, though I promise I've kept drinking steady enough and now I'm rekindling my interest. I'm sure there are folks here who I've raised a glass with over the years, and I look forward to reconnecting virtually or even better in person. I have a lot of catching up to do. Meanwhile, since someone asked:

2005 Chateau Lanessan: Pop and pour, I have it in front of me now. It's still youthful but drinking pretty well. Very classic clarety black cherry, leafy, pencil lead profile. Stilll good tannins and it hasn't really evolved much. Always ages very well -- might even improve still -- this is a very nice little wine for the money. No rush, but no crime popping it now.
"Well a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothin' much at all."

Arv R

#43 Post by Arv R » November 28th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I've pulled a few and am ready to start sampling. Rauzan Gassies and Prieure Lichine are on the rack. Age 15 should be pretty good for most of them. I drank up most of my lower cru bourgeois early, and loved them, in particular Charmail, Cambon Pelouse, and a few others.
R_@_0

Tom Lee

#44 Post by Tom Lee » November 28th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I had an 05 Fleur Cardinale recently that was exceptional.

November 16, 2019 - Dark Crimson in color. 14% ABV. Stunning nose of red and black fruits, molten licorice, leather and earth. Full bodied and opulent with layers of gorgeous fruit. Roasted cherries, black currants, plums and minerals on the palate. Tremendous length on the finish. This wine was a darling of the ’05 Bordeaux QPR crowd and has thoroughly delivered upon expectations. Best over the next 2-4 years.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by RichardFlack » November 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 8:10 am
Julian Marshall wrote:

I have no experience with Batailley or Prieure-Lichine, but I would definitely wait on Armailhac and Lagrange, both of which seem to peak when the better wines of a vintage peak, a la '00, '82, and I assume '05 would be the same!
I have Batailley tucked away was contemplating an exploratory bottle next year. It always needs time. (And is a great QPR IMHO).
So agree on waiting.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Ed Steinway » November 28th, 2019, 8:41 pm

We had a 2005 Langoa Barton a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly approachable and very nice.

Ed

Nevin Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Nevin Miller » November 28th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Drank a Montrose the other night. My palate has changed so much, I disliked the cold earthy nature of the wine tremendously. I’m sad about it too...

Chris.C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Chris.C. » November 29th, 2019, 6:56 am

Nevin Miller wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Drank a Montrose the other night. My palate has changed so much, I disliked the cold earthy nature of the wine tremendously. I’m sad about it too...
The last bottle of Bordeaux I purchased was from vintage 2005. I realised around that time that my palate was changing. Been curious how the wines would age (or maybe my taste would change again) as I still have a reasonable number of bottles from the 1995-2005 period. But I'm afraid my view is the same as yours.
"Well a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothin' much at all."

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 29th, 2019, 7:05 am

Your palates have changed to what? Mind if I ask your ages?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Chris.C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Chris.C. » November 29th, 2019, 7:16 am

I look for brighter, higher toned fruit, generally higher acidity, less oak influence. Often this points me in the direction of Italy.

I have recently entered the second half of my first century.

Return to “Wine Talk”