When do you think shipping season will close? And..

I’m in Los Angeles. I have a few bottles at a couple of New York retailers. Odds are they won’t be able to get them on the road till after Thanksgiving. Going ground. Does that sound reasonable or should I put it off till spring? Also do you ever consult on-line weather maps to try to figure stuff like this out? I’ve tried using Weather.com but I’m too dumb to determine how to get a map of the country with any sort of 10 day forecast to see if, say, the midwest is going to be blanketed with snow while my wine is travelling through. Thanks!

https://digital.weather.gov/

Shipping season is year round if you overnight with chill packs.

Season hasn’t even opened in south FL pileon

Texas is open until AZ, NV, NM and/or CO get too cold, then open again until April 15.

Try The Weather Channel Maps | weather.com

If you ship via water to your doorstep, shipping season is year-round. pileon
https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/neighbors/high-tides

outside of extraordinary freezes, I don’t worry about “too cold.” MUCH rather ship in the 30s than in the 70s. So to answer your question, I would not worry about shipping in December at all.

I agree - I’ve had wine delivered (in error) during some 0F daytime high/-20F overnight freezes and even that was okay with no seepage or pushed corks.

I also prefer the cold to the hot. Florida is a bit tricky, but early December is usually good. Many of us use coast-to-coast temp control, with the only “exposure” coming from hubs to the delivery address.

I once received a shipment of Benovia Pinot Noir in mid/late December. A couple of the corks were pushed halfway out. The winery kindly replaced the bottles. They suggested pulling the affected corks and consuming, which I did. Mighty fine Pinot Noir!

Yeah, I get that it isn’t risk free. Victor famously got a shipment of wine-cicles. Giscours if I remember correctly. It can happen. But it is way, way less likely than heat damage, and at least living in the mid-Atlantic is never really a consideration unless there is one of those bomb cyclones. If I lived in Minn or Maine I might feel differently

Sure it has; the last 2 weeks have been perfect & my wines have arrived in great shape (to Boca). Shipping the rest next Mon

Fronot (or Fronoir) doesn’t have quite the same ring as Frose, though. [cheers.gif]