Where are the best values from $20 - 50 for American Cabernet Sauvignon and Bordeaux Blends?

Where are the best values from $20 - 50 for American Cabernet Sauvignon and Bordeaux blends

• Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Elsewhere in California Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Other American Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Napa Bordeaux Blends
  • Sonoma Bordeaux Blends
  • Washington State Bordeaux Blends
  • Elsewhere in California Bordeaux Blends
  • Other American Bordeaux blends
  • Cabernet Sauvignon up to 7 years of age.
  • Cabernet Sauvignon at 8 - 12 years of age
  • Cabernet Sauvignon at 13 - 19 years of age
  • Cabernet Sauvignon at 20 - 29 years of age
  • Cabernet Sauvignon at 30+ years of age
  • Bordeaux blends up to 7 years of age
  • Bordeaux blends at 8 - 12 years of age
  • Bordeaux blends at 13 - 19 years of age
  • Bordeaux blends at 20 - 29 years of age
  • Bordeaux blends at 30+ years of age.

0 voters

When I list ‘Napa’ and ‘Sonoma’, I am talking about the counties, realizing that there are multiple terroirs in each. Feel free to name specific districts in your replies.

For the category ‘Bordeaux Blends’, I am asking about any wines made from blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot. Please do not vote based on wines blended with other varieties. I am not particular about the specifics of the blends. They can be mostly Cab Sauv, or even more than 75% and qualify for Cab Sauv labeling. I’m looking for

My intention is to have one vote for a Cabernet Sauvignon region and one for a blend region, but it you are extremely partial to Cabernet Sauvignon, feel free to vote for 2, 3 or 4 Cabernet Sauvignon regions, or for two blend regions. I’m just trying to get some general idea of where the board thinks value is.

As a separate subject, I also ask about peak drinking times for these wines. When I say ‘age’, I mean from date of harvest. Again, I request that you cast one vote each for Cabernet Sauvignons and Bordeaux blends, but feel free to vote as you choose.

Dan Kravitz

I voted for both Washington options. Washington really shines in that $30-$45 range(ish) with wines (year in and year out) like Seven Hills Winery Cab and blends, Walla Walla Vintners WWV Cab, Spring Valley Vineyard Uriah and Frederick, Baer Ursa, Soos Creek’s blends, etc. etc.

2014 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (11/23/2019)
Day 1: This might be another 5 day review. Pop and pour and tight as a drum. Green on the nose with some spices and subtle fruit. Palate is showing dust, green pepper, spice, chocolate and red currants. Just needs some time and should improve over the course of a few days. No score.
Day 2: Opening!!! Sour cherry, blueberries, spice, dust, cigar and gravel. This transformation over a day is tremendous. A minuet amount of heat that does really detract from the quality of the wine. On the lengthy finish picks up subtle notes of funk. Excellent value for $24.99. 92+
Day 3: Very nice. Sour cherry, blueberries, menthol, dust, cigar and spices. Picks up gravel notes on the finish. Medium plus. This is a long term ager. 92-94
Recommendation: Drink 2023 to 2033. Too young at the moment and you will be rewarded for long term aging. (92 points)

$24.99 not bad!

Ditto. Add Va Piano, Pepper Bridge…

So far, somebody voted for Bordeaux Blends at 30+ years of age.
So far, nobody voted for Cabernet Sauvignon at 30+ years of age.

IMO somebody voted weird… how do you vote for Bordeaux blends at 30+ but not Cabernet Sauvignon?

Dan Kravitz

I really enjoy the Washington State Bordeaux blends from Lobo Hills. Their 2016 Right Bank Blend is a great deal at $20.

Agreed. My brother and I really enjoyed our visit to Va Piano last June. They wine maker opened a few older bottles for us that were singing at 10+ years.