TN: The second Viking dinner

THE SECOND VIKING DINNER - Undisclosed location then Morton’s at Reston town center (11/16/2019)

The most rewarding aspect of having passion in wine is the opportunity to meet so many interesting and generous people. I have been lucky to make a few lifelong friends. This was the second Viking dinner hosted by the generous friend. This time it was only two guests and the host. Since he is a perfectionist and a perfect host, he lined up the sacrificial bottles by the theme.

Vertical of La Tache

Red Burgundy

Rayas and other Rhones

Bordeaux

More Bordeaux

Giacosa

The guest of honor, aka Viking, was feeling generous and didn’t pick one of the La Taches.

The victims
Salon
As we arrived, the 96 Salon was waiting for us. There was also a beautiful spread of h’orderves. After about an hour, we proceeded to Morton’s at Reston town center.

• 1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    Initially, a bit cold and coiled. With air and as gets warmer, expressive nose displaying ripe dense yellow fruit, lemon curd, granny smith, cool mountain stream, candied ginger, light caramel, honey and limestone. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated sweet yellow fruit, generous fine mousse, rich yet very focused, bright acidity and strong limestone mineral, and a seamless long concentrated yellow fruit driven finish. This bottle is drinking beautifully in a youthful way. (97 pts.)

Roulot Perrieres
I am liking Roulot less and less. This was showing well but not worth the current auction price.

• 2012 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Initially thinking a hint of TCA. Very reductive nose displaying dense ripe yellow fruit with a hint of white, lemon curd, lemon oil, sugar glazed apple tart honey, saline, a hint of oak and crushed rocks. Exceptional concentration, packed concentrated yellow fruit, dense and rip yet also nicely focused, bright acidity, excellent mineral expression, and a long sweet ripe yellow fruit driven finish. This clearly expresses the ripeness of the 12 vintage yet remains nicely balanced. (95 pts.)

Rousseau
Although not as enjoyable as upon release, this still flirted with perfecton. Excellent pillage!

• 2010 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
    Absolutely gorgeous nose, perfectly ripe blackberry, sugar glazed blackberry tart, rose, mocha, Vosne spice, musk, light caramel and crushed rocks. Perfectly balanced palate, layers upon layers of finely layered black fruit, silky, polished and beautifully detailed, perfect amount of acidity and strong presence of mineral, and a seamless long sweet black fruit driven finish with Asian spice at the end. There is a hint of very fine tannins. This shed the youthful opulence but remains perfectly balanced. Although perfectly enjoyable, another decade of cellaring is recommended. (99 pts.)

Mouton
The 82 Mouton is so consistent!

• 1982 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Youth yet perfectly mature nose displaying ripe slightly dry black fruit, crème de cassis, black plum, lead pencil, leather, tobacco, cedar, caramel and earth. Perfectly integrated palate, layers upon layers of concentrated slightly dry black fruit, remains rich and unctuous yet also silky and polished, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, still noticeable but very fine tannins, and a seamless long sweet black fruit driven finish. The 82 Mouton is very consistent and has never shutdown hard. (98 pts.)

Masseteo
This was a bit too pruney.

• 2004 Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Masseto Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    I really loved the 04 Masseto upon release. The bottle from two years ago was very ripe and slightly pruney and this is similar. Very ripe slightly pruney nose displaying intense ripe black fruit, crème de cassis, blackberry jam, chocolate covered cherry, licorice, smoke, baking spices, leather and earth. Incredible concentration, layers upon layers of intense very ripe black fruit, unctuous, opulent and rich yet silky and polished, bright acidity, medium mineral, nicely integrated tannins and a long intense very ripe jammy black fruit driven finish. This has a hint of Dal Forno recioto like richness with being sweet. It will be fascinating to follow how this evolves. (94 pts.)

A great time was had by all! My sincere gratitude goes to the chieftain who sacrificed greatly!
Posted from CellarTracker

Always amazing wines.

Amazing, yes …

The Rousseau Chambertin 2010 waits in my cellar …

My last Roulot Perrières was 2016 at the domain in 2018 : a great expression … (very expensive but still double the price for Coche-Dury Perrières 2016).

Roulots taste really good upon release then something happens. Cochran Perrières is one of the greatest white wines for my palate.

My last Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne 2015 was really great …

Excellent “older” wines at the domain in 2017 :
Roulot Meursault Tillets 2011 : 17,5/20
Roulot Meursault Luchets 2007 : 17/20

At home summer 2018 :
Roulot Meursault Tillets 2007 : 17,5/20

What can be this “something” you mention ?
Your report, in two steps (TCA, reductive then bright, mineral, nicely focused, long), is quite intriguing.

Is that a Premier Cru sticker above that label on the other Rousseau?

They were not purchased from premier Cru.

that’s just an import alcohol % label.

It almost looked like that old PC sticker label you would see on (mostly) Rhones that would say “Red Rhone Desert Wine Alcohol 11-15%”.