TN: 2015 Guigal St. Joseph Lieu Dit Rouge

Okay, less TN and of a more commentary. This is a perfectly acceptable wine, no overt flaws and actually on the more elegant side for Guigal (13.5% abv). Yes, it shows more oak than many would prefer and the tannins become overly rustic with air but both are to be somewhat expected from a youngish Guigal.

So what’s wrong with this wine? It’s utterly soulless. There’s nothing remotely “fresh” or lively about it at all, completely boring and generic. It would get murdered by many similarly priced Northern Rhones (not to mention any vintage of Bedrock Exposition Series Syrah). I’ve noticed similar trends with Guigal’s Crozes as well, although that’s become more of a complete spoof show vs. something acceptable but utterly generic like this one. I haven’t had a Guigal Hermitage or Côte-Rôtie in many years and the 2015 St. Joe Lieu Dit Rouge does not give me any motivation to ever purchase either one again, which makes me sad as the 2 former played a decent role in my formative years of learning about wine in the early 2000s.

Anyway, have 2 more bottles of this and I guess “wait and see” is the only strategy…not too hopeful though.

Anybody had the Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde 2015? I recently purchased, I am hoping it’s not the same story as above…

Lol, a client of mine had six bottles of Guigal and offered to trade me yesterday for two premium Cabs, I passed. Have never liked the Guigal style.

Sorry if I made it sound like the wine was just crap - it’s not.

I do hope the 2015 Brune et Blonde isn’t as boring and by all means, please post a quick TN when you open one.

I have enjoyed many BeB’s dating back to 1967 (which was rocking when I got married in 2007). The older ones are delicious and distinctive, they can live very long, and they also represent “relative value”. A couple of years ago on a whim I purchased a 2009 mag, and brought it to dinner with friends. I think Alex’s characterization as “soulless” is spot-on. “International”, “high alcohol”, whatever you want to call it, instead of being distinct even if imperfect, it had become a highly polished eunuch that could have been anything, from anywhere. I don’t know exactly when Guigal left for the Dark Side on this one, but it is pretty disappointing.

The 80’s wines weren’t bad. I have fond memories of the 1985’s…

We should be friends.

One benefit of Guigal wines is that they show very well young. Many Northern Rhones are heavily reduced when young and pretty undrinkable.

Wait…we weren’t? neener

Even the vintages from the late 90s showed more character near release. I’m perfectly fine with modern/international style wines so long as they’re mildly compelling in some fashion and not spoofy.

anyone have thoughts on the base hermitage offering from guigal? specifically 2015?

I had an 09 of this wine not long ago, I think time helps it incorporate some of the oak better and open up more. really liked it when I had it.

Matt, really appreciate the data point - I’m more optimistic about aging my remaining bottles.