TN: 1986 Grand-Puy Ducasse

Last night, we opened a 1986 Grand-Puy Ducasse that I found in a dusty corner of the cellar a few days ago. The label was damaged and the cork completely saturated, but the wine was showing no signs of fatigue or oxidation, but real charm, elegance and surprising freshness.
A subtle, herbal, understated nose of flowers and exotic spices leads to a generously fruited palate. Morello cherry in abundance, cassis, even still a hint of blueberries, but also licorice, leather, graphite, iodine, anise, and a hint of barnyard and forest floor. All supported by nice acidity and fine minerality. 12,5 % alcohol. This is a gracious, perfectly matured and balanced traditional Pauillac – bought for a song in the late eighties.

1986-Grand-Puy Ducasse.jpg
BTW, as for red Bordeaux, 1981 Kirwan and 1978 Vieux Château Certan will be next in line. :slight_smile:

Great stuff, Rudi - sounds wonderful. The joys of a well-stocked cellar reaching maturity. The joys, also, of traditionally made wines which were built to age gracefully and which were sold at a reasonable price. I’ll be interested to read what the pre-Parker era Kirwan is like. My only experience was with a 78, I think, which was elegant and fragrant, everything it isn’t nowadays.

Look forward to notes on VCC. Just bought a couple of bottles

Rudi, your fans want the 78 VCC! Post some notes on that baby!

On Keith Levenberg’s recommendation, I grabbed some of the 2016 Ducasse. A high quality - should I say rendered quality(?) - Classified Growth for all of $45 USD on release.

Guys, notes will follow soon… :slight_smile:

We had a nice 83 Kirwan a while ago. I don’t see their wines much but they are generally enjoyable.