Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 811
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#1 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 22nd, 2019, 4:47 pm

I will be serving a 1991 Chapoutier "L'Orée" at an upcoming Northern Rhône dinner. We will have the reds together with the main course, and I'd like to serve this one by itself with a lighter course before we get to the main event. Any advice for decanting/air time or for what to serve with it? A cheese plate? Or a more traditional appetizer (relatively easy and non-exotic recipes preferred)? What say ye?

Jim Hanlon
Posts: 67
Joined: February 5th, 2015, 3:33 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#2 Post by Jim Hanlon » November 22nd, 2019, 4:53 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:47 pm
I will be serving a 1991 Chapoutier "L'Orée" at an upcoming Northern Rhône dinner. We will have the reds together with the main course, and I'd like to serve this one by itself with a lighter course before we get to the main event. Any advice for decanting/air time or for what to serve with it? A cheese plate? Or a more traditional appetizer (relatively easy and non-exotic recipes preferred)? What say ye?
Salt code brandade often goes very well with older white Rhones. Could be served as croquettes too. Good for dinner parties in either preparation because it can be made ahead and just warmed.

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6451
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#3 Post by Markus S » November 22nd, 2019, 6:51 pm

Jim Hanlon wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:53 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:47 pm
I will be serving a 1991 Chapoutier "L'Orée" at an upcoming Northern Rhône dinner. We will have the reds together with the main course, and I'd like to serve this one by itself with a lighter course before we get to the main event. Any advice for decanting/air time or for what to serve with it? A cheese plate? Or a more traditional appetizer (relatively easy and non-exotic recipes preferred)? What say ye?
Salt code brandade often goes very well with older white Rhones. Could be served as croquettes too. Good for dinner parties in either preparation because it can be made ahead and just warmed.
I think salt cod would work. Probably stay away from cheese, as I feel the texture of an older RHone white would be interfered with the richness of cheese. I always like a roast chicken with an older one.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
IlkkaL
Posts: 920
Joined: June 11th, 2015, 12:40 am
Location: Helsinki

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#4 Post by IlkkaL » November 22nd, 2019, 10:22 pm

I think some well-chosen cheeses could work, for example Rocamadour or Pérail de Brebis.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4975
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#5 Post by Gerhard P. » November 23rd, 2019, 2:43 pm

just a quick thought: kind od scrambled eggs with bacon, onions, mushrooms and some cheese or truffles ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 158
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#6 Post by jordan jacobs » November 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm

maybe some sort of exotic pate?

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4953
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#7 Post by Kris Patten » November 23rd, 2019, 5:10 pm

1991 Chave Hermitage sounds like a nice pairing.
ITB

User avatar
Arv R
Posts: 3814
Joined: January 11th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#8 Post by Arv R » November 23rd, 2019, 6:48 pm

We had the 06 l'Oree last summer and the donor had us enjoy it before the reds, I think with just bread and butter. I've only had these a few times in my life and they are so fabulous and it makes sense to avoid distractions with them.
R_@_0

edwardmilstein
Posts: 451
Joined: July 23rd, 2010, 8:06 am

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#9 Post by edwardmilstein » November 24th, 2019, 6:35 am

butter poached lobster should work well
drinker,drinker,drinker,collector,negotiant,importer.ITB

Karl K
Posts: 1222
Joined: October 29th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#10 Post by Karl K » November 24th, 2019, 7:33 am

Pork rilettes, richness accentuating richness
K a z a k s

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9326
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#11 Post by Scott Brunson » November 24th, 2019, 9:26 am

Buttered fresh pasta with white beans and herbs

Edit--I also love older white Rhone with sweetbreads
(and the buttered pasta...)
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Robert Sand
Posts: 487
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#12 Post by Robert Sand » November 24th, 2019, 9:40 am

French Quiche (Lorraine)

User avatar
Arv R
Posts: 3814
Joined: January 11th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#13 Post by Arv R » November 24th, 2019, 11:02 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:26 am
Buttered fresh pasta with white beans and herbs

Edit--I also love older white Rhone with sweetbreads
(and the buttered pasta...)
sweetbreads sounds awesome. i've always been too scared to try making them at home though.
R_@_0

User avatar
etomasi
Posts: 1015
Joined: November 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#14 Post by etomasi » November 24th, 2019, 11:55 am

Chicken vin Jaune would be great.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 484
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#15 Post by J.Vizuete » November 24th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Fabulous list of suggestions... makes me want to try several myself!
John V.

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3679
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#16 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 24th, 2019, 1:55 pm

What's the Chapoutier oak treatment like [then and now]?

Hopefully they knew what they were doing back in the early 1990s, but here in the USA, many of our Chardonnays [from that general era] aged disastrously, because the winemakers didn't know what the heck they were doing with the oak treatment - so that after a few years in bottle, the USA chardonnays were prone to developing what was effectively a sheen of suntan oil all over them, and became strongly DNPIM [and you could fuhgeddabout swallowing them].

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3679
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#17 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 24th, 2019, 1:59 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Fabulous list of suggestions... makes me want to try several myself!
That music dude nailed it with the breakfast foods [I didn't even know they scrambled eggs in Austria - I always assumed that was just a redneck thang here in the USA].

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6451
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#18 Post by Markus S » November 24th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Arv R wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 11:02 am
sweetbreads sounds awesome. i've always been too scared to try making them at home though.
I've tried and will never do them at home again.It came out offal. Let the professionals do it, I say!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4975
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#19 Post by Gerhard P. » November 25th, 2019, 3:03 am

Nathan Smyth wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:59 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Fabulous list of suggestions... makes me want to try several myself!
That music dude nailed it with the breakfast foods [I didn't even know they scrambled eggs in Austria - I always assumed that was just a redneck thang here in the USA].
It´s called "Eierspeis" (egg dish) over here - and there are many different ones - see https://www.gutekueche.at/eierspeisen-o ... he-rezepte
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Peter Chiu
Posts: 3871
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#20 Post by Peter Chiu » November 26th, 2019, 9:03 am

I bought 16 bottles of L'Oree 1991 - which was the maiden vintage release by Chapoutier - from SAQ in Quebec, Canada in 1994/5. I bought the wine because Hugh Johnson said ( in his book ) that every body should try a Chante-Alouette - after age 10.

I did not have good experience with the wine and I still have 2 bottles left.

Dave, love to hear your experience and please post after the event.

User avatar
David Baum
Posts: 1061
Joined: August 24th, 2017, 5:26 pm
Location: Carlsbad CA

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#21 Post by David Baum » November 26th, 2019, 9:46 am

Had 2000 Chave a couple weeks ago off a restaurant list and it was sublime. Had the second bottle they had but was slightly oxidized and while good not nearly so. When it's on, it's on!

User avatar
Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2538
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 12:19 am

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#22 Post by Doug Lee » November 26th, 2019, 10:12 am

Paired a 1996 Chave Hermitage Blanc with pesto several years ago (the recipe article recommended a white CdP). Went very well.

Cheers,
Doug

Kelly Flynn
Posts: 998
Joined: March 14th, 2018, 11:12 am

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#23 Post by Kelly Flynn » November 26th, 2019, 11:01 am

edwardmilstein wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 6:35 am
butter poached lobster should work well
A 2005 Chapoutier "Le Meal" blanc (mag!) was heavenly with lobsters on Cape Cod this past Summer. An interesting change of pace from our traditional Corton Charlemagne.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 811
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#24 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 27th, 2019, 7:58 am

Thanks, all! Does anyone have any decanting advice? Is this one of those really reductive wines or others that, even when this old, needs extended decanting to "wake up," or more likely to be one that starts to degrade an hour or two after opening?

In either event, I will report back but for various reasons I'm not opening this one with the upcoming dinner as planned, so it will probably be some time in 2020. I will certainly refer back to this thread at that point, though!

Thanks again,

Dave

Peter Chiu
Posts: 3871
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#25 Post by Peter Chiu » November 27th, 2019, 8:27 am

My first few bottles of L'Oree 1991 were fine when I opened them before age 10.

After that..... some of bottles started to turn *yellowish looking* when I placed them on the white cloth. So I started to open the most *yellowish looking* ones - one by one periodically. Most of them became oxidized. Many were undrinkable and/ some were not enjoyable at all and it did not matter how long I left them in the decanter [swearing.gif].

Most of them are like what Nather Smyth described in Post No. 16.

The color of my last 2 bottles are still slightly *yellowish looking*....but....I will hang onto them until the year 2021.

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4975
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#26 Post by Gerhard P. » November 27th, 2019, 9:37 am

I know the 1991 but haven´t had it for a while.
Older Hermitage is often odd and suspicious after opening.
I once had a 1981 H. (not Chapoutier) that was not very good even after 4-5 hours. I forgot the rest in the (recorked) bottle in my (cool) cellar. When I found it again after 8-9 months (!) it was outstanding !!!

The best I can recommend: opening as early in advance as possible (8-12 hours, better a full day), taste a tiny amount and recork or put a paper tissue on the opening ...keep cool ... retaste well before serving and decide how long to decant (20 min to 2 hours) ... it should at least be kind of awake ...
even when tasting slightly oxidized (nutty) it can well recover ... (hopefully)
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Peter Chiu
Posts: 3871
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#27 Post by Peter Chiu » November 27th, 2019, 10:13 am

Merci.....Gerhard [thankyou.gif] . I will open one bottle around the week-end of 2020/01/23 to 2020/01/26 - Chinese New year - as per your suggestion ( and cross my finger ).

Yes - good old memory for my first encounter of *nutty taste*...in my L. Latour CC 1982. I kept on smell the wine......and looking and looking

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 811
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#28 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 27th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Peter Chiu wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 8:27 am
My first few bottles of L'Oree 1991 were fine when I opened them before age 10.

After that..... some of bottles started to turn *yellowish looking* when I placed them on the white cloth. So I started to open the most *yellowish looking* ones - one by one periodically. Most of them became oxidized. Many were undrinkable and/ some were not enjoyable at all and it did not matter how long I left them in the decanter [swearing.gif].

Most of them are like what Nather Smyth described in Post No. 16.

The color of my last 2 bottles are still slightly *yellowish looking*....but....I will hang onto them until the year 2021.
This is consistent with the old saw about Hermitage blanc being good for a few years, then going through a phase exactly like you describe where bottles will seem dead and oxidized, but then after a decade or so of that, miraculously recovering. I have read enough about that phenomenon over the years to believe it, but also to believe that this bottle should long ago have passed back into the land of the living.

I've read less, though, about when to open/decant bottles old enough to have done so. Thanks to Gerhard for his insights in that department!

Loren has a CT note from 2016 loving the wine but noting that it needed some air. Burgundy Al and two others have more recent notes, again all positive (and Al noting that it has emerged from the dormant phase), but none of them discuss decanting or air time.

Thanks again to all!

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4975
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#29 Post by Gerhard P. » November 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Peter Chiu wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:13 am
Merci.....Gerhard [thankyou.gif] . I will open one bottle around the week-end of 2020/01/23 to 2020/01/26 - Chinese New year - as per your suggestion ( and cross my finger ).

Yes - good old memory for my first encounter of *nutty taste*...in my L. Latour CC 1982. I kept on smell the wine......and looking and looking
Peter,
I´m curious to hear how it turned out ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Peter Chiu
Posts: 3871
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#30 Post by Peter Chiu » November 28th, 2019, 4:49 am

I will post the result.....

A Rubin Stein
Posts: 233
Joined: September 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#31 Post by A Rubin Stein » November 28th, 2019, 6:53 am

We had an '84 Guigal Hermitage Blanc this past summer. Still had freshness, acidity and character. We enjoyed it with a variety of different cheeses.
a s h e r

Peter Chiu
Posts: 3871
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Re: Old Hermitage Blanc - what to serve with it? (and decant?)

#32 Post by Peter Chiu » November 28th, 2019, 8:44 am

Dave...... at my age I prefer quietness this days; and my memories with my past 14 bottles of L'Oree 1991...are fading.

For what I remember.....I did many, many experiments - from what I heard and learned - with each and every bottles as I did not give up on them easily ( as they were quite pricey in 1994/1995). Most of them...became undrinkable ( regardless what I did ) and some might improved a bite but were not enjoyable. I do not recall any one of them.....bought a smile on my face.

I will report back after the Chinese New Year ( around 2020/01/23 to 2010/01/27 ).

Hope I will have some luck........like Loren and Burgundy Al !!

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”