Thanksgiving Day Wine Lineup

What are you popping? I’m thinking our lineup will look about like this for a slow burn lead up to brined, injected, roasted turkey and smoked pork ribs (with traditional fixings).

2009 Louis Roederer Brut
2012 Roederer Estate L’Ermitage
2008 Billecart Extra Brut

2016 Franny Beck La Chenaie
2008 Bergstrom Bergstrom
2009 Guigal St. Joseph Vignes de l’Hospice

John nice lineup. I normally don’t pull out wines of that quality as it is the one day where the food for me is more important. I usually do a German Riesling, Oregon Pinot and a sparkler. Just give me the butternut squash and I am happy!

Our tgiving will be casual but I think we will be opening some 08 dom and 13 emh ss

2012 Roederer Estate L’Ermitage
2013 Kongsgaard Judge
2013 Pisoni Estate Pinot Noir
1989 Mondavi Reserve Pinot Noir (should be interesting)

Gobble Gobble y’all champagne.gif

Eric Bordelet Poire Granit is a must!

I was really excited to open some of the nicer bottles from my new, modest collection, but my friends are generous and will bring a couple of their own, so I’ll have to hold some of mine for another time. Regardless, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, wether spending it with friends or family, and I’m just excited to host my close friends and be in great company.

Here’s my lineup:

• 2008 Domaine Chandon Étoile Tête de Cuvée (brought by my friend; will replace the '05 Taittinger CdC I was planning on popping) w/ Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta with ricotta

2017 Dragonette Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Grassini Family Vineyard w/ fried turkey breast, creamed spinach, and au gratin mashed potatoes

2004 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino (brought by my friend; replacing the '06 Carlise JBV Syrah I was planning to open) w/ rack of lamb

Then a variety of dessert wines w/ a variety of desserts (order and pairings TBD):

• 1998 Markus Molitor Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Eiswein (this is what I’m most excited for!)

2011 Clos Solène Sweet Clementine

Graham Porto 20 Year Old Tawny

Graham Porto 30 Year Old Tawny

I hope everyone has some great wine for Thanksgiving, but more importantly has a great time with great people :slight_smile:

The good stuff gets drunk after the large party leaves or the night before.

Haven’t fully decided on the lineup. These two are definitely getting opened sometime next week.

92’ Mondavi Reserve
02’ Robert Craig Mount Veeder
Definitely some of the old Ravenswood after Thanksgiving so it can settle from shipping

NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grande Réserve
2007 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Bonshaw
1998 Maison Bertrand Ambroise Corton Le Rognet

Staring the week tonight:

2016 Peter Michael Le Apres Midi

Then 2016 Williams Selyem unoaked chard and 2016 Ceritas Heintz chard.

Tough crowd. My bro in law pronounced the Ceritas to be ‘vinegar.’

He has a Parker palate. From now on, he gets Rombauer and Kendall Jackson.

The Peter Michael was well received, over all.

Rochioli 2016 estate pinot.

Pure, red fruit, weightless.

Crowd pleaser.

I’m doing a modest sparkling Chenin / Carignan back to back comparative.

2016 Birichino Chenin Blanc Methodé Champenoise Jurassic Park
NV Château de Brézé Crémant de Loire Brut

2018 Dirty and Rowdy Carignan Old Vine Rosewood Vineyards
2016 Pax Carignan Testa Vineyard

Keep 'em coming. I have not decided but I like reading the lists. Gives me ideas. I have a serious problem - I can’t even get into my cellar because there are too many boxes on the floor. We will be 10 adults. I need to drink a lot, and that will be after deep frying a turkey in the back yard.

Just going to be me and my wife this year. Planning on opening a 2013 Rhys Bearwallow PN.

Couple bottles of each…since we have 8 coming over…most of which are indiscriminate consumers.

Treveri Brut Rose
Ramey 2013 Woolsey Road Chard
Walter Scott 2018 Gamay Noir
Substance 2015 Cabernet mag

*edited to keep an all domestic lineup

Mellen Meyer Oregon sparkling Chardonnay
2009 Cameron Clos Eletrique Blanc
2009 Cameron Clos Eletrique Pinot Noir

Escaping family this year…spending Thanksgiving in Willamette Valley. Dinner itself will be JORY Restaurant at the Allison Inn and Spa. Assume they can provide reasonable wine choices from the immediate area.

The only ones I’ve picked so far:
2014 Holdredge “The True” pinot noir - on the bigger side with nice fruit, depth and balance
2014 Fields Family Lodi Native zinfandel - light, fruity and complex
2016 Ferrari-Carano Reserve chardonnay

Up for tonight:

06 comtes
16 beaucastel
01 suduiraut

I’ve got a broadly mixed crowd, and since we downed both our bottles of Heidsieck Brut Reserve last night I’m short on bubbles for Thanksgiving, unless I pull something like the 2012 Vazart-Coquart Champagne Grand Cru Grand Bouquet

With a couple friends coming over as well, there will be more consumption than normal, so I, like others, might shoot for more quantity over quality. One bottle of Campesino Rose at the ready, for sure. Will pull out either '14 Bedrock Old Vine or Scherrer Old Vine, and I am still unsure which will pair best with the meal, whether it be bubbles, Rose, or Zinfandel (or maybe Pinot) since I’m doing a spatchcocked turkey with bacon lattice, which makes a delicious gravy…maybe Zin or Pinot for the meal. I’ve got a mag of 2007 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Ursules Domaine des Héritiers that might be smart to open?