TNs: 2015 Copain Laureles Grade Chard & 2012 Carlisle Papa's Block Syrah

Decided to take a break from Champagne and do some still wine for a change. I brought these to dinner last night, shared them with my wife and another couple, and then brought the remainders home. With a quiet evening tonight, pulled both bottles from the fridge to retry them and scrawl out the TNs below. Thanks for reading and happy holidays.

• 2012 Carlisle Syrah Papa’s Block - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/20/2019)
    Opened this last night for dinner, leaving some remainder for today for a good size retaste. For context, last night this showed dark fruit, tar iron, herb, a powerful core. After 24 hours of sitting in the fridge, gave another glass a go. The texture on this is plush and wide, coating my palate with dark fruit. Same tar from last night, joined now by creosote, rosemary, bitter chocolate, grapefruit, all framing a black and red core of fruit. Nothing subtle here, this is about power and bold. The grapefruit creates length in the finish, leaving a long imprint. In total, the fruit is beginning to soften up yet it is competing with what is some pretty vivid acidity. That said, I am not sure where the wine heads, what happens to the balance quotient of the palate/texture. Personally, I’d rather drink this now and capture where it is, to enjoy the fruit and acidity in total, which is delicious, unctuous and tangy all at once. Of note, this is listed at 15.1% and with my changing physiology for drinking wines of this ABV, I’m good for about a glass, maybe two but I can feel it.
  • 2015 Copain Chardonnay Laureles Grade - USA, California, Central Coast, Carmel Valley (11/20/2019)
    Final bottle of two. Opened last night, have just a few ounces chilled to taste today. Aromatics of barrel/toast, citrus peel and flint. When tasted with the chill, it shows a rainwater/citrusy palate. As it warms, the palate picks up green apple, citrusy lemon and retains the flinty note that frames up the texture. This tastes more complex, more driven in tone than it did last night, and if this is any clue as to where the wine is, I’d bet this continues to age in bottle well. I’d be curious to see if others noticed the evolution of this wine from aeration, as my bottle exhibited that evolution.

Posted from CellarTracker