Full body, black fruit, and funky...name your poison

Mourvèdre
Aglianico
Bandol
Gigondas

Looking for reco’s… either by grape/blend or specific winemakers.

Zwinefandel

Mavrodaphne
Carignan
Lagrein Dunkel

Your suggestions, if they are of good quality, are far too polite.

Dan Kravitz

Finally remembered to order some Cabirau [wink.gif]
Looking forward

Si si. Mavrud I’ve had…sarcasm aside…let’s say it’s the eve of your last meal…and you are given the choice of the mustiest black grape and a porterhouse steak… what are you drinking? Specifically.

Serine

And I’d add, “feral”.

Mourvedre is a good call as well.

Cool climate Syrah. Bedrock Griffins Lair. Jaffurs Bien Nacido.
I would never put Gigondas in this class. More red fruited.

What price range are you looking in? Can you list three specific wines that you really like to give us some markers for style and preference?

Thanks, Kirk

Definitely Syrah and if you can get it I immediately conjured up thoughts of Cayuse which epitomizes funk.

Alban
Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

< $40
Aglianico Del Vulture
Certain Bandols

Even a right bank Bordeaux from time to time. But only ones that make you feel like you are literally drinking from the musty basement of the cellar…and not simply because of the oak taste/smell.

I had the same thought.

Some of K Vintners’ lineup of Syrahs from the Rocks AVA would also IMO fit the bill from the OP and would be far more affordable and easy to procure than Cayuse. For example, 2016 K Vintners ‘The Beautiful’ Powerline Vineyard Syrah.

I recently opened a 2002 Vincent Arroyo Petite Sirah Rattlesnake Acres and Bootsy Collins didn’t have anything on it.

Sean Sullivan of Wine Enthusiast (and his blog Washington Wine Report) reviewed the 2016 Cayuse En Cerise Vyd. Syrah and said, “This wine displays an overt sense of funkiness out of the gate, with the rest of the aromas not entirely ready to reveal their charms. Charcuterie board, green peppercorn, asparagus, fresh tobacco, ashtray and soot notes emerge over time. Full, dense-feeling black olive and other savory flavors follow. The intensity on the finish is commanding, and it lasts for a solid minute. It’s an exclamation point.” Sounds pretty funky to me!

Thank you gents. You’ve given me ideas for special occasions, and weeknight bangers.

Anyone have any random suggestions that taste like sassacaia for $30??? Lol. Kidding aside, there are some offerings on the outskirts of bolgheri that are incredible for a fraction.

Thanks again gang.

I come from a land down undah.

Shiraz

I’ve certainly had lots of dark-fruited Gigondas.

The more modern class of Gigondas, and those luxury cuvees, largely the spawn of Parker and Cambie largesse, are mostly dark fruited, IMHO. Red is dead. And I’m out.

Tannat
Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

id go with either bryant who had a brett problem in the 2000s, or boswell around the late morlet/chris tynan winemaking period.