TN: 2005 Patrice Rion Chambolle Musigny

Nice weeknight wine, but hardly more interesting than decent Bourgogne. Disappointing for the vintage and level. Easy to drink, that’s about it. Not getting the characteristics the positive CT TNs noted.

Is this “Les Cras”?

or another “Chambolle” villages by Patrice?

I think it’s still too early to evaluate 2005…maybe 7-8 years too early, sadly.

Just the village chambolle.

I think 20 years is rule with Rion, they tend to be all structure and acid young. Has to be a style you like in Burgundy, otherwise sell 'em off and buy producers you know you’ll love.

We had an '01 Michele & Patrice Rion Chambolle Les Charmes the other night and it was pretty classic, mid weight red fruit, beautifully balanced, restrained and attractive. Just what I want out of a 1er cru that has no pretension and didn’t cost that much, though don’t know what it costs now. Can’t be that much. At a very good place on the maturity curve as well, with plenty of years ahead. If this isn’t what affordable burgundy is about, I don’t know what is. Not expecting fireworks or wow, or endless layers of complexity. Just real, solid burgundy, the kind where you put your nose in the glass and know where you are.

the kind where you put your nose in the glass and know where you are.

Which is what it should always be about. Quote of the year for me.

I am a fan of this producer, their wines still represent good value.
opening 05’s is still too soon even at the village level.