Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/22 - 12/1)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Pat K

Re: Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/22 - 12/1)

#51 Post by Pat K » November 25th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Detente Wines, Margot Pinot Noir, 2018, Stolo Vineyard, San Luis Obispo County. Pale red, little rim variation (wouldn't expect much in a young wine). Subtle red fruit aromas. On the palate, the red fruit narrows to cherry and a bit of strawberry; just a bit of pepper, earthiness. This wine will be interesting to cellar for a few years to see how it matures. Just enough there there to fascinate.

bretrooks

Re: Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/22 - 12/1)

#52 Post by bretrooks » November 25th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Just found this thread... Here's a note on a bottle we opened 11/23, from memory:

2014 Cowan Cellars Pinot Noir
Not decanted, consumed over 1 1/2 hours. Warm climate in profile, but with more restraint than many CA pinots. Ripe (but not sweet) cherry/strawberry fruit, a little bit of a cola note, and just a whiff of something earthy or leathery. Straightforward and satisfying.
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by brigcampbell » November 26th, 2019, 9:01 am

• 2013 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (11/26/2019)
    It's not a great surprise this wine has zero dosage. It taste great but there's an underlying edginess to it which probably requires more cellar time. Strong lemon rind and nectarine flavors. Has a kick like a mute at the finish. Very structured at this point.
  • 2016 Wilde Farm Wines Pinot Noir Donnelly Creek Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/26/2019)
    Nice garnet - good clarity. I like the aromas, shows some promise. This is definitely a more feminine style PN, not hopped up, but medium/- mouthfeel and nimble. Red berries/apple flavor. Careful pairing this with spicy Mexican food. Ha! My bad.
Posted from CellarTracker
Attachments
20191125_184505.jpg

Pat K

#54 Post by Pat K » November 26th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard, Pinot Noir, 2014, Bailey's Branciforte Ridge, Santa Cruz Mountains. A recent interest is the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA, particularly for Syrah. (Big Basin, Falltacular, enough said). I was glad to track down a PN from the same AVA. Aromas are primarily strawberry, with a bit of cinnamon and subtle baking spices. On the palate, fruit tannins and strawberries are distinct. A feminine, subtle take on the varietal.

Joseph MR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Joseph MR » November 26th, 2019, 7:58 pm

TN: Windy Oaks 2017 Santa Cruz Mountains Pinot Noir “Diane’s Block”

Day one: Cherry and underbrush flavors and aromas, discrete oak. Volatile camphor note when first opened
blew off quickly. Light to medium body, medium long, slightly tangy finish.

Day two: rounder, distinctly savory character emerging from the fruit; earthy, almost mineral finish. Relatively light and supple, rather elegant, I enjoyed this very much.
ra + * ter

J e s s e C

#56 Post by J e s s e C » November 27th, 2019, 10:51 am

2007 Whitethorn Winery PN - Demuth Vineyard, Anderson Valley

Unfamiliar with the winery but purchased on a whim from K&L because I liked Anthill's 07 Demuth. Unfortunately, this was nowhere close to the Anthill. The Whitethorn was far more dark fruited, extracted, showing more alcohol (14.7 on label if I recall), and way more oak. Fruit was still holding strong but the oak was completely distracting. Fine and fun experiment at sub $20 but no more.
j c h e n g

Margaret Bayston

#57 Post by Margaret Bayston » November 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm

This is awesome Frank. The holidays can be some of the most difficult times for our clients, especially the children, as they try to adjust to a new life without all that is familiar to them and often bewildering. Groups like yours make it possible for us to give them the chance for hope and peace, laughter and love. Me and all the team at Laura's House are truly thankful for you and all our fabulous supporters from Wine Berserkers. I'll certainly raise a glass or two in your honor tomorrow. Cheers!

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 27th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Brig-took the selfie with a mirror?
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Bob Hughes » November 27th, 2019, 2:00 pm

2005 Paul Pernot Beaune Reversees 1er cru - starting to open up a bit on the nose, with an earthy note to the fruit.

Lighter-bodied, with noticeable acidity - this isn't bad, but still a little too primary right now.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Frank Murray III » November 27th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Margaret Bayston wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm
This is awesome Frank. The holidays can be some of the most difficult times for our clients, especially the children, as they try to adjust to a new life without all that is familiar to them and often bewildering. Groups like yours make it possible for us to give them the chance for hope and peace, laughter and love. Me and all the team at Laura's House are truly thankful for you and all our fabulous supporters from Wine Berserkers. I'll certainly raise a glass or two in your honor tomorrow. Cheers!
To everyone, Margaret it is the CEO/ED for Laura's House. The TNs you are writing and posting here, along with your photos, is directly supporting the work that her organization is delivering to the community. Thank you all for your efforts and keep going!

I'll be getting some more Pinot open tonight with some additional notes this week, too.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#61 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 27th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 6:21 pm
I hate doing sheetrock work, but I love drinking wine. After a long day playing with joint compound we opened this 2014 Walter Hansel South Slope Pinot Noir. Pouring dark crimson, barnyardy garrigue on the nose. Lots of fruit in this one but not overly ripe, Dr Pepper and Rhubarb with a little tension but mostly in your face dark cherry. Definite crowd pleaser style.

0793F103-F65C-4099-9843-11ABD297AA9A.jpeg
I haven't had a Walter Hansel Pinot in many years...thanks for the note
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 27th, 2019, 3:03 pm

2013 Burrowing Owl Pinot Noir - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (11/27/2019)
Surprise! Didn’t realize I still had this. Good thing though, as it’s lovely right from opening. Cool red fruit, some earthy complexity, and a light, bright finish. Tannins are largely gone, so I am glad to get to this now. Mid-weight at most, it’s not trying to be something it isn’t. Nicely done.

Adam G

#63 Post by Adam G » November 27th, 2019, 4:04 pm

2017 Kukeri Pinot Noir, Lakeville Vineyard, Petaluma Gap

Quite hard immediately on opening, but smells heavenly. Lots of interesting notes of mint, berries, earth, mushroom, and flowers. Palate held darker fruit flavours than the nose suggested - more plum than cherry, but also with a note of strawberry in there. The mint reappeared on the palate as well. Nice acidity. Sandalwood on the finish along with hints of smoke. Structure-wise it seems more like an older world style but with newer world flavour profiles. This really opened up with a few hours of air.

Had this last night and forgot to take a photo :(
A. Gr0ssm@n

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm

2014 Alfredo Roca Pinot Noir, San Rafael, Mendoza, Argentina -

commercial post: I import this wine

Light to medium garnet color to the rim. Surprisingly refined aromas feature pure red cherry fruit with something a little dusty behind that, with a herbal note showing a distant third. The palate is light in body, again with very pure red fruit, surprisingly smooth, light balanced acidity and fine tannins almost fully resolved. If given this blind, I would be hard pressed to say Bourgogne or New World, the dusty not speaks to Old World but the purity of fruit is New World, even though not at all modern.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 27th, 2019, 5:27 pm

bassakwards tonip.jpg
Whoops!
swillmaster - ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Kris Patten » November 27th, 2019, 5:47 pm

2016 A to Z Pinot Noir, Oregon

Family in town so lots of wines we sell so they stay out of the cellar. 2015 of this was pretty lean, 2016 is by no means over-ripe but it hits a nice balance of acid and fruit. Solid for $16 and nice quaffer while the cellar stays vacant of in-laws!!
ITB

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by brigcampbell » November 27th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Clearly the best Pinot under $15 on the planet and can hang in the under $30 crowd if you like cranberry driven flavors. Shocking.
  • 2018 Trader Joe's Pinot Noir Lot #193 Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/27/2019)
    Wow, this has some stuff. Brilliant red garnet color. Good acidity. Nose is dark cherry. Palate is dark cherry with tart red cranberry base. Nice QPR and one of the better TJ wines I've tasted.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Frank Murray III » November 27th, 2019, 5:58 pm

• 2013 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (11/27/2019)
    Disgorged May 2018, no dosage, 100% PN. Little briny on the nose, green apple, raspberry/red berry, along with a good push of lime that is even and pure across the palate. Mineral finish. Drinking great, nothing austere here.
  • 2015 Copain Pinot Noir "En Haut" Kiser - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/27/2019)
    This started off closed and mute, needing an hour to let the fruit begin to fill in and the texture to round out. Red apple and juicy raspberry, with a lightly stony note that gives the finish some light grip. This is pretty classic Kiser, with a juicy, balanced, more subtle core that is delicious.
20191127_175533.jpg

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Pat K

#69 Post by Pat K » November 27th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Navarro Pinot Noir 2014, Anderson Valley: This vintner is our most reliable producer, especially for PN. Garnet with ruby highlights; excellent clarity. Aromas are red fruit dominant; strawberry, raspberry, cranberry. There are hints of cherry, dust, light toast, clove and just a bit of allspice. On the palate, spices strengthen but berries remain dominant. Medium body, medium plus finish and acidity. For the 2014 vintage, I bought a half case of this wine and don't regret it. Well-balanced, definitely complex. Enjoyable now but may peak in a year or two.

I'm a big PN fan so it's quite helpful to read other notes to get ideas. And all in the spirit of supporting a great cause. Appreciated Margaret's comment about the children and their challenges, especially during the holidays. So true. So very true.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Brian Tuite » November 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm

See Frankie, I drink Burgundy, on occasion.
  • 2011 Domaine Joseph Roty Marsannay Cuvée de "Boivin" - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay (11/27/2019)
    Dark crimson color, strawberry and raspberry aromas jump from the glass. Creamy texture, mineral driven, some stems, bright acidity, crunchy fruit. Sandlewood and minerality on the finish. Nice QPR.
46A06D45-1114-4C38-8C60-82C5253C36E7.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Chris Seiber » November 27th, 2019, 9:31 pm

2012 Arcadian Clos Pepe.

This is so pure and pretty, though probably 5+ years from entering its prime window.

Clean and pure fruit - red apple, red cherry, cranberry, orange. Fruit with intensity but also clarity. A hint of pine. Nice citrus acids and chalky structure to the finish. Delicious now, profound with more age. 13.5%.
FF8D6B5D-5703-49E3-9A29-9726212EE5B9.jpeg

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by T. Melloni » November 27th, 2019, 9:47 pm

2018 Loring Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir
IMG_2544.JPG
2018 Loring Santa Lucia
This was good. Just arrived the other day. Opened to share after a 6 hour drive through the rain to get to my friends' home for Thanksgiving tomorrow.
Fresh, vibrant with good fruit but sufficient acidity to keep it lively.
Easy to twist and pour and enjoy.
Had to add a wine here on the quick as both Brian Loring has been a supporter of Laura's House and Falltacular, and this will help add to the contributions being made by this thread.

Happy to see this Thanksgiving thread continue and much enjoy seeing the pictures and the people behind the avatars.
Thank you Frank.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Gary Schulte » November 28th, 2019, 4:56 am

Thank you Frank for running this benefit again this year. Here's my first for this week.

2002 Frederic Esmonin Gevrey Chambertin 1er La Petite Chapelle - Purchased when released and stored in basement(temp ranges 54 to 68F) on it's side. This was opened soon after pulled from storage. Shows no signs of wine movement on the cork. Color is a clean medium garnet with slight bricking on the edges. Initial aroma is a soy umami that fades to cherries after some time with air. On first taste this wine is clearly wound very tight with tannin dominating the initial attack and prolonged dryness in the mouth. Sour cherries played in the background at the start but was masked by the tannins and acidity. After about 1 hr the tannins and acid seemed to soften and the cherries moved forward with a multitude of spices. This was becoming very enjoyable especially with the NYTimes chicken pot pie(chicken, mushrooms, bacon, onion, herbs) I made to accompany it. The pot pie richness seem to cut through the tannin and acid to reveal more fruit and the spiciness of this little loved red burgundy. Over a period of 1.5 hrs this wine was clearly opening up and is an enjoyable wine with rich food. Some was saved to try later tonight. In addition I still have another one which I think I will let ride for another 5 years...not sure there's enough fruit for a real long storage run. As a comparison I have the same year wine from Jadot which will be a nice comparison point. Here's some picks of the wine and food. Again, thank you Frank for what you are doing.

Add - Two days later the wine had soften and was a pleasant drink with cherries and spice. At the end of the bottle there was tons of sediment. Either decant this one now for a couple of hours or wait another 5 years to open.
GC1er-Esmonin.jpg
NYT pot pie.jpg
Last edited by Gary Schulte on November 29th, 2019, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Bob Hughes » November 28th, 2019, 10:43 am

First Pinot Noir of the day, the 2013 Berserker Cuvée from Patricia Green - this is quite tasty today, with good acidity keeping it lively on the palate - I likee!
Attachments
IMG_0893.PNG

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Bob Hughes » November 28th, 2019, 10:51 am

And thanks to my younger daughter for figuring out how to post a photo ;^)

Pinot #2 is the 2017 Goodfellow Berserker Cuvée - this is young, with a woodsy note on the nose. Tighter on the palate, lighter-bodied, and a lot of potential for further development here.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Bob Hughes » November 28th, 2019, 10:55 am

And Pinot #3 is the 2014 Berserker Cuvée from Patty Green - on a personal note, my Mom and Dad blew through about 2+ cases of this wine when it was first released!

This may be showing the least on opening, but still quite nice for the price.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by M. Dildine » November 28th, 2019, 11:26 am

IMG_0042.jpeg
2013 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir West Block
From vines planted in 1969. 14.5% abv. Deep burgundy red, expressive aromas. On the palate, cherry, ripe plum, spicebox and a touch of cedar. A rich, deep Pinot with a lingering aftertaste. Still improving - I've had this wine on numerous occasions and this is the best showing yet.

Frank's work on behalf of Laura's House is something to be grateful for. I am happy to match $5 for each tasting note, so pile on!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Cheers,

Mike

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Frank Murray III » November 28th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Mikey D, thanks a million, pal. This is great, and puts the potential on notes with a photo to $30 each. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Bob Hughes » November 28th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Pinot Noir #4 - the 2014 Lia's Vineyard from Patricia Green. Nice, but I can't say I prefer it to the 2014 Berserkers Cuvée from the same address.

Pat K

#80 Post by Pat K » November 28th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Tablas Creek Full Circle Pinot Noir, 2016, Templeton Gap District, Paso Robles. It seems that one of the founders is, like so many, fascinated by Burgundy. This is not a typical grape for Paso; however, my first impression is that the wine is a classic, elegant, varietally correct expression of the grape. Aromas and tastes of sour cherry, strawberry are dominant. Color is again the classic pale red of a younger wine; excellent clarity. This PN made a most positive impression; may consider buying more! Holiday wine-worthy.

BTW am following the tasting notes on Patricia Green with interest. Have the 2014 Berserkers' Cuvee and the 2015 Marine Sedimentary in my cellar.

Turkey Cheers!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Brian Tuite » November 28th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 10:51 am

Pinot #2 is the 2017 Goodfellow Berserker Cuvée - this is young, with a woodsy note on the nose. Tighter on the palate, lighter-bodied, and a lot of potential for further development here.
Bob, can you have your daughter call Mike Dildine? [snort.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by M. Dildine » November 28th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Bob Hughes wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 10:51 am

Bob, can you have your daughter call Mike Dildine? [snort.gif]
Sideways is my best look Brian! [wow.gif]
Cheers,

Mike

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 28th, 2019, 5:13 pm

First, my thanks to Frank:

I don't keep count, but donate about a tithe to charity every year. It's usually split between very local giving and my microscopic 'foreign aid', things I hope will be supported by others and have a postive geopolitical impact, like clean water and agricultural imrovements that will mitigate the need for mass migrations. If that sounds pompous, so be it.

In other words, even a worthy a charity as Laura's House would normally not be on my radar, 3000 miles away. But Frank's exuberance and originality speak to me, so I drink and contribute every year, and match his donation.

I had not planned to open another one of these for at least another year, but
1) I'm the only one drinking with Thanksgiving dinner,
2) I want something really good, and
3) in a half bottle.

2016 Alesia Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - Medium crimson color. Black cherry dominates the aromas, as I remember from last time. There is something a little penetrating, delicate enough to be attractive. The palate is a little tight, but very solid and appealing, with some red fruit along with the black and some definite good herbal notes. This isn't as closed as the last bottle about a year ago, but still definitely needs time. The finish is a little short, but the balance is excellent. I'm going to try to find some half bottles of some other reds, so I'm not tempted to crack another one of these for at least another year. Rated 89, up to 2 points of improvement likely.

Dan Kravitz
aisela topin.jpg
swillmaster - ITB

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 28th, 2019, 5:19 pm

to Bob Hughes, you wrote:

"And thanks to my younger daughter for figuring out how to post a photo ;^)"

There's no point having kids unless they are going to do your IT for you.

regards,

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Jeff Vaughan » November 28th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Bob, I like your choice of wines.
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Berserker Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/28/2019)
    There is a lot of flavor here, but the wine is lighter bodied and elegant. I’m very happy with this purchase from last year’s Berserker Day and I look forward to seeing how these evolve. I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Attachments
E396BA2F-4CFE-4166-BCC8-6601093EBD8B.jpeg
CT: outplaying

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Mike Evans » November 28th, 2019, 6:06 pm

I opened the last four bottles of these from my late father’s small cellar for Thanksgiving at my brother’s house with his in-laws for our first Thanksgiving as orphans. I introduced my father to the Alesia wines and they became his favorites, so they have been a fixture at holiday dinners. This was a fitting send off as the response to them was overwhelming.

2007 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/28/2019)
Beautiful tart red cherry and spice with a touch of evergreen, very compelling and very hard to stop drinking. A perfect Thanksgiving wine. (92 pts.)

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by brigcampbell » November 28th, 2019, 6:52 pm

How funny is this, it's like a premonition. The note from long ago came true tonight. Freaky.
  • 2008 Carlson Pinot Noir Las Hermanas - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (11/28/2019)
    Kim said "Brig, where did this Carlson come from, it's been in my closet".

Heck, never heard of it, let me check cellartack but let's open it for T-Day as I'm grilling a turkey.

A bit stewed, strong cedar, and a decent food wine. Drink up.

7-1/2 years later...
  • 2008 Carlson Pinot Noir Las Hermanas - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (4/28/2012)
    Jersey Girls Road Trip - A Story by the Chauffeur; 4/27/2012-5/2/2012 (Solvang, CA): Winner winner. This was included in my tasting as the last in the pinot noir flight. Delicious wine. Light weight tannins well balanced with enough acid and dark fruit. Nice complexity and mouthfeel. Medium/+ finish. This is drinking right in the wheel house now.

Liked it enough to purchase a bottle for Kim, she promised to save it for me. I'm thinking this paired with a BBQ turkey with the all the works... can't wait.
Attachments
20191128_165659_HDR.jpg

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 28th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 6:06 pm
I opened the last four bottles of these from my late father’s small cellar for Thanksgiving at my brother’s house with his in-laws for our first Thanksgiving as orphans. I introduced my father to the Alesia wines and they became his favorites, so they have been a fixture at holiday dinners. This was a fitting send off as the response to them was overwhelming.

2007 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/28/2019)
Beautiful tart red cherry and spice with a touch of evergreen, very compelling and very hard to stop drinking. A perfect Thanksgiving wine. (92 pts.)
Nice story, and a useful note. I need to dig out my last few 2007 and 2008 Alesias.

Mike S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Mike S. » November 28th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Still figuring out how to use this technology. I like the eraser on the pencil for high tech. 2014 Magnum of Kutch McDougal. Opened 8 hours before drinking. The nose filled the room. The Wine was rich, and full of ripe fruit. Not too ripe. The Wine could use at least five more years (magnum). It could use more acid. Cherry and plum flavor. Not much complexity. A very good wine but not great. I owe you double for the Mag plus my matching.
Michael Silverman

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Ed Steinway » November 28th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Because of Frank and Wine Berserkers, we have been contributing to Laura's House annually. I made our annual contribution tonight. The work that Laura's House does is very important to me for personal reasons, and I appreciate what Frank is doing and what everyone else is contributing. Even though I am not a big pinot drinker, I may have to find one to open in the next couple of days to continue to contribute to this great cause!

Ed

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Frank Murray III » November 29th, 2019, 9:45 am

Thank you all for the continued strong work here to participate, supporting Laura's House.

We have three days left, with the challenge ending on Sunday midnight (Los Angeles time). Please continue to post and know how much I appreciate it.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Brian Bohr » November 29th, 2019, 12:27 pm

John and Mary Gonzales hosted and prepared a lovely Thanksgiving meal yesterday. Also in attendance were Marshall and Diana Gelb and a bunch of pinot noirs. We decided this was a perfect opportunity to empty Frank's (and other's) wallet. I'll start with my notes and pictures. I suspect John and Marshall will have a few more notes to add. Bottles were all opened at approximately the same time and put on the table and followed throughout the evening.

1996 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Precious Mountain Sonoma Coast – This needed 30 minutes or so before it began to show much. Cranberries and tea notes on the palate. Nice lingering finish. Mature wine that was a pleasure to drink.
Attachments
IMG_8521WS.jpg
ITB (at least part time)

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Brian Bohr » November 29th, 2019, 12:28 pm

2005 Marcassin Pinot Noir Marcassin Vineyard Sonoma Coast – Bright red fruits and cherries on the nose, similar fruit profile on the palate, with a long finish. Very balanced and complete wine. In the past I have sometimes struggled with Marcassin pinots, but I really enjoyed this one and it was my WOTN.
Attachments
IMG_8527M.jpg
ITB (at least part time)

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Brian Bohr » November 29th, 2019, 12:29 pm

2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard Sonoma Coast – From a magnum. Color showed a bit cloudy. Red fruits on the nose. Brooding iron on the initial palate, finishing with nice acidity. Good grip. This continued to improve throughout the night.
Attachments
IMG_8523RM.jpg
ITB (at least part time)

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Brian Bohr » November 29th, 2019, 12:31 pm

2007 Calera Pinot Noir Selleck Vineyard Mount Harlan – Iodine dominates the nose, dark black fruit on the initial palate, but on the finish the iodine pops up again as well as a bit of an off-putting rubber note. Some discussion on whether the bottle was flawed or just bad. This was the most disappointing bottle of the night – it certainly did not live up to the 98 points that Parker rated it. Bought on release and stored properly.
Attachments
IMG_8522C.jpg
ITB (at least part time)

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Brian Bohr » November 29th, 2019, 12:32 pm

2009 Kistler Pinot Noir Russian River Valley – Ripest wine of the night. Lots of red fruit and cola notes on both the nose and palate. Some will like the style, others will not. Wine is right in its drinking window.
Attachments
IMG_8526K.jpg
ITB (at least part time)

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Brian Bohr » November 29th, 2019, 12:34 pm

2015 Occidental Pinot Noir SWK Sonoma Coast – Initially, I picked up a bit of a metallic quality on the nose – but this blew off with some time. Sour red fruit on the palate, finishing with some herbal and stemmy notes. Definietly seems to be made in a different stye from the Kistler. The youngest wine of the night – it would be interesting to revisit this in a few years.
Attachments
IMG_8525OC.jpg
ITB (at least part time)

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 29th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Frank,

Please post the address of Laura's House, confirm that the check should be made out simply to 'Laura's House' and that a note should be included stating that this donation is from Frank Murray's Wine Berserker's virtual tasting.

I've done three, not impossible that I'll get in one more tomorrow.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Frank Murray III » November 29th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Dan, i would recommend you donate via their website.

https://www.laurashouse.org/

This is the easiest method but you can do a check if you need to. The donate tab will tell you what to do.

However you choose to donate, please flag it from Wine Berserkers. They appreciate knowing that.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Frank Murray III » November 29th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Bohr, you're killing it. Nice work.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.