Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/22 - 12/1)

We’re going on 5 years now doing this work to raise money for my charity, asking all of you to simply open a bottle of Pinot Noir and post a TN. For those who are not familiar with the event, here is a link to last year’s thread which helped us raise almost $4,000 in just over a week’s time.

I will keep this tradition going and pay a cash donation for every TN that is posted between the dates of 11/22 to 12/1 (for bottles during this time period). The theme? As always, it will be Pinot Noir from anywhere!

What happens? You open and post as many Pinot Noir tasting notes as you like, and I will pay $5 for every TN that is posted here during the time period noted above. I will double the payment to $10 per TN, provided you take a photo of yourself with the bottle (if your photo is of just the bottle label, this won’t qualify for the extra $5). Why the doubled donation? Because the more we can get out from behind an avatar and show who we really are, the less likely we can operate from disrespect and the more we can get to know each other, to humanize and create respect and civility where we have that opportunity.

At the end of the 10 days, I will count the notes and make a donation to Laura’s House. They are the recipient of all the money we collect each year during our Falltacular event we have at our house every February. The charity is about ending domestic violence, through emergency shelter services, counseling, transitional housing and community outreach. To learn more, you can click the following:

Starting posting your notes to this thread beginning 11/22 and make me pay!

I might very well open up a burgundy, later this week but not positive, but would be thrilled to be the first to get the ball rolling for a wonderful cause. Although $20 would likely be fine I went to the site and donated $100 After all it IS the season of giving.

Pinot Noir pairs well with a Thanksgiving table. Great timing!

fred

Jonathan, this is really generous of you and your donation is at the heart of why we do the event every year. Thank you for having faith in the charity and for caring enough to share your own kindness with the charity and give them a leg up.

Fred, thank you too for participating.

Okay homie,

The Virtual Tasting Series Compendium 2019 - WB Charity master thread is posted to track all the weeks.

Click on the link for the rules and regulations.

Plus, we are looking for sponsors for a few weeks.

champagne.gif

Just popped a 2002 Ojai, Clos Pepe. This won’t count, but I’ll find something for next week.

Just got talked into a Pinot from Macedonia :macedonia:
Maybe I’ll save a glass :laughing:

Thanks Frank.

I’ll be in, as always.

But it’s pretty goddam cold in Maine to be drinking such thin red wine [truce.gif] .

But I’ll do it for a good cause, and make sure some duck, goat and lamb are around to help me through this.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks guys. Please open bottles, post and like Dan did last year (I loved that photo, Dan), post a photo with you and the wine to double the value of my donation.

I’ll start opening Pinot from my cellar this weekend and help build our activity here, too.

Happy holidays and look forward to a great 10 days of raising money and meeting each other.

Count me in for a few bottles. I will add $5 for each bottle I post on.

Mike, thank you for the additional support. This is appreciated.

And, also wanted to pass on the good news that a matching donor, who has generously done this just about every year I have held this challenge, this Wine Berserker donor has agreed to match my donation. So, for those of you that will be participating this year in the challenge, every note you post on your Pinot Noir here will have a doubled value to Laura’s House, our charity. I want to thank this donor for signing on with me again, for helping drive this challenge with me.

That person is a good human being - their anonymity has never been compromised but I have my suspicions… [berserker.gif]

Am I first to post an actual note? No photo for today, might add one later or on other bottles. Edit: just realized that I started early :slight_smile:

2017 Ceritas Pinot Noir Trout Gulch

Coravin glass. Very pretty. Nose initially closed but starting to open up slowly after 15 minutes in the glass. Tastes like strawberries and red cherries, with subtle notes of basil and tea. Medium acid. I keep going back for sip after sip but need to restrain myself to see where it’s at after some time. One hour later and things had tilted a little darker toward raspberry with some other hard-to-pin-down savory notes.

Very enjoyable tonight, but I definitely think it will evolve to add complexity over the next 5-10 years.

You should get out here one of these years to see what Falltacular is all about. It is an amazing experience!

Pobegaing a 2017 375 Rhys Bearwallow that arrived at the office yesterday. Decanting in the glass as much as possible, showing lots of spice and bright red fruits even some sweet earthy notes ( not sure what this means but it’s what popped into my head) Certainly needs some time, but still enjoyable finishing up a Friday at work.

2016 Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges VV

Beautiful nose of red and dark fruits. Nice acidity, with surprising palate depth. Very primary at this phase, of course. Nice finish. Impressive wine which is punching above its weight class.

Drank eleven Red Burgs and Pinot based Champagnes last night, but didn’t want to cheat.

I’ll have to soldier on starting tonight.

Dig to see you guys getting after it. I need to get a bottle open tonight and start the charge with you.

Ray, honesty is always in vogue. [thumbs-up.gif]

2013 Kingston Family Vineyards Pinot Noir Tobiano Casablanca Valley

Garnet, medium legs, rim variation consistent with age. Aromas of strawberry & cherry; hints of dust, light toast, and fig… On the palate, tartness/acidity initially, followed by smooth finish. Light to medium body. Finish is medium, acidity is medium plus. acidity. Tasted another bottle in 2018; I think this wine is at peak. Drink now. Kingston is a reliable producer for us. I’m frugal and have found some great values in Chilean Pinot Noir. Enjoy!

2009 Rhys Swan Terrace Pinot Noir
Finally this is developing some tertiary earthy/leafy character to go along with the still prominent red fruit. It’s also still showing the green and floral character. I would wait another 2-3 years before trying again. It’s trying to approach maturity, but not quite there as of yet.
2F954EB6-8492-4F08-8268-1545F4DB1D82.jpeg