TN: 2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

This is the wine your roast chicken was asking about. [cheers.gif]

• 2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (11/18/2019)
    Textbook-ish. Crunchy and Juicy cranberry-strawberry fruit, that is medium weight, with finessed silky texture on the palate. It is fairly givign now, in a hedonistic, lush fruit kind of way. Finishes edgy, cool and long. Still energetic and on the way up, but no harm in drinking now. Perfect Sunday night roast chicken wine. Glad to have a few more and some mags resting for future drinking.

Posted from CellarTracker

Yeah, this wine is magic. If you don’t enjoy it, you probably don’t like Beaujolais

Totally. Benchmark. Not sure beaujolais needs to/can do much more.

You going to age any of it? Sounds like no signs of shutting down?

How great that a benchmark wine is widely available below $50. How would you compare this to Breton or Sunier (which I’ve had more of)?

This is my problem, I drink most of my Cru Boo on the young side. Too young. I tend to think of them as cellar defenders, though I really shouldn’t as it they are obviously serious wines. Because they are often in the ~sub $50 range (hell, even sub $30), I just pop away. I am going to try to let these mags and some Roilette mags from 14 alone for a while. We will see.

A friend brought this wine to a tasting and I will now be buying it every vintage. Another friend brought the 2009 to a different tasting, and I will probably need to buy more so I can age them. A wonderful wine.

Excellent, thanks for the note. 2 cases of this just arrived out of storage, and I’m eager to open one. Wish I’d bought magnums.

With a couple cases, would be nice to track over the next decade. Wished I bought more maggies too!

Only way mine stay around is in mags…otherwise they just get crushed in first 18 months.

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (3/28/2020)
P&P, perhaps a little more air would have been good. Starts off with a slight formaldehyde scent on the nose, which slowly receded allowing more pleasant and fragrant aromas to take hold. Pretty serious wine here, a firm structure of lingonberry (I was watching Bergman’s Seventh Seal the other day so it was in my head) playing off a taught middle palate that does cede to some juiciness for refreshment. Things opened up more as the night went on, so I’m confident a 1 to 2 hr decant could have really helped. Bright future for sure. Good to drink now. Excellent. (92 points)
Posted from CellarTracker

Dale - nice note! Glad to hear another positive experience. Such a good wine. Might be time for me to open another one soon, though I am trying to let some age for a bit. We will see. Cheers.

Great note Dennis - this is the wine that got me into Beaujolais.

Desert Island bottling for me. If I only bought 3 different wines a year this would be one of them.

[cheers.gif]

I could probably say them same.

Me too! Especially given the price…There are plenty of wines that I love just as much, but they are double the price (at least). And even so, FOillard is so different in flavour profile from all the others that it would make my desert island list.

Tried the 2009 over the weekend. It started off a bit juicy and boozy for my taste (as do many from that vintage) but it calmed down with an hour of airing and became a bit more elegant and complex, although still showing a lot of fruit and some remaining structure. I have 2 750s and a mag left, and might wait about 3 years before popping another one.

I’ll turn this in its head, from personal experience: if you like Foillard’s Cote du Py that doesn’t necessarily mean you like Beaujolais.

Foillard’s CdP is the only BoJo I’ve been wowed by.

I felt the same way for a while. Foillard was the first BoJo I tasted that made me rethink my prior position that I really didn’t care for BoJo. Then I had a really nice Lapierre. Then I had a couple bottles of Jean Paul Thevenet Morgon V.V. that were also great (as well as a really nice, though much less elegant, Charly Thevenet Grain & Granit).

That said, a lot of the others (including many that are board favorites) just don’t do much for me.

a recent Lapierre (2018) was my first from them, and I just didn’t like it ---- might be an '18 thing, though. And, from memory, Burgaud and Bouland didn’t appeal to me much. There’ve been at least a couple others, too, but I just can’t recall right now. Bottom line is, Foillard’s Cote du Py, as far as I’ve tasted, is simply a thing unto itself.