When your partner/SO goes dumpster diving in “your” cellar . . . .

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

When your partner/SO goes dumpster diving in “your” cellar . . . .

#1 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm

So I’m in the office today catching up on business after being out of town for several days. My partner, and a very good friend, stumbles in around 3 PM, looking ragged, with a sheepish look on his face. I have a mea culpa he says. “I raided your wine fridge at the end of a very rough Friday night.” And it must have been rough as he still looks bad. My first inclination is to laugh. And I did. My second was an “oh shit” moment, I have Juge, Allemand and Jamet in there! He said don’t worry I’ll pay whatever, which of course I’d never make him do, but did ask, so what was it. He says I don’t know, some Rhone, “I figured a Cote du rhone wouldn’t be too expensive.” Now I’m worried, that could be any of my goodies. He goes back to his office to pull it out of the trash, and it’s the 2016 Pax Hillside syrah. The funny part is, he has a Cali-palate, and other than Ridge, that’s the only Cali wine in my fridge. The label is Rhone-ish. He said he loved it, and I told him he better, the tasting note bingo champion, Galloni, gave it a hunge points.

I did not ask why there was wine on his wall as well. Some things are better left unknown . . . .

So, any good stories of similar note?

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: When your partner/SO goes dumpster diving in “your” cellar . . . .

#2 Post by Kris Patten » November 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Far too many....

Came home to see a Dunn Howell Mtn. sitting on counter, dad opened it, same with a 2006 SQN. Multiple times have woke up to a 1.5L or 3L with a glass missing sitting on counter Sunday morning, only to realize I went to bed to hit an early tee time and wife and friends opened a large format cause it looked cool and unceremoniously left without drinking it....this spawned the house rule, open whatever you want, but if it's a mag or larger you stay til it's gone and Uber home, I don't care how shitty you feel the next day.

Sure I will think of more, but reality is I don't care as long as it's not wasted.
ITB

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by john stimson » November 17th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Multiple threads on this. Frankly, I mostly don't care either, except when it's 5-10 years short of being enjoyably mature, and, yes, it should be enjoyed and shared. In my house there are 2-3 boxes of totally "safe" wine. These days, we are so totally connected that it's no longer much of a problem. I do get a lot of texts during late afternoon patient visits and evening meetings. thankfully I know roughly where everything is in the cellar, so I can give directions from a distance.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Paul Miller » November 17th, 2019, 2:23 pm

I was supposed to set aside a bottle for my wife to open one night she had some charity committee people over. I sort of did, but the bottle was not obvious. Anyway, they all drank some really nice wine, and none of them appreciated it.

Similarly, we had friends over for the Super Bowl last year. One of the guests brought her older brother. He is more of a Coke-and-Whiskey drinker. I had pulled some whiskey for making cocktails. I wasn't paying attention, and they finished the bottle I had set out. So he found some other bottle of Bourbon, and made a big-ass drink. It was probably a $50 cocktail.

Markus S

#5 Post by Markus S » November 17th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Uh, WHY would you have wine in your office?? (and second, why and how would the company you work for allow this?)
$ _ € ® e . k @

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Sh@n A » November 17th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I have a box of "daily" wine that my SO knows has wines she can use that I am not "emotionally invested" in. I ordered stickers off amazon, and put a "silver" sticker on anything < $30 that is free to use as need (e.g., Cotes du Rhone, Bourgogne, Langhe). I put a gold sticker on more expensive bottles (e.g., that are OK to be used as gifts or consumed when something 'better' is required. Stickers are in the box, so as I get stuff that goes into the box, I just sticker them up.
/ @ g r @ \

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Markus S wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Uh, WHY would you have wine in your office?? (and second, why and how would the company you work for allow this?)
Eh, because I’m an owner? ;)

You should see the Scotch selection....

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Kris Patten » November 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:11 pm
I have a box of "daily" wine that my SO knows has wines she can use that I am not "emotionally invested" in. I ordered stickers off amazon, and put a "silver" sticker on anything < $30 that is free to use as need (e.g., Cotes du Rhone, Bourgogne, Langhe). I put a gold sticker on more expensive bottles (e.g., that are OK to be used as gifts or consumed when something 'better' is required. Stickers are in the box, so as I get stuff that goes into the box, I just sticker them up.
My wife has free reign, way cheaper than divorce. Everyone else has guard rails, that usually force you to finish anything opened which is a great deterrent except for a couple degenerates who get the "only open something on this rack."
ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Kris Patten » November 17th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Markus S wrote:
Lawyers and distributors have the same office practices....plenty of wine and spirits around the office, only difference is distributors have more integrity. [cheers.gif]
ITB

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by ryancurry » November 17th, 2019, 3:52 pm

A friend of mine had his brother open two bottles of 1962 Romanee Conti to go with BBQ when he was out of town... He shrugged. I would have been a little more angry.
itb

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Doug Schulman » November 17th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Markus S wrote:
I'm outraged!
ITB - retail sales and education

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by RichardFlack » November 17th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Far too many....

Came home to see a Dunn Howell Mtn. sitting on counter, dad opened it, same with a 2006 SQN. Multiple times have woke up to a 1.5L or 3L with a glass missing sitting on counter Sunday morning, only to realize I went to bed to hit an early tee time and wife and friends opened a large format cause it looked cool and unceremoniously left without drinking it....this spawned the house rule, open whatever you want, but if it's a mag or larger you stay til it's gone and Uber home, I don't care how shitty you feel the next day.

Sure I will think of more, but reality is I don't care as long as it's not wasted.
I sort of get the philosophy behind this (“you break it you own it or something “) but, but, why forego the pleasure of seeing how the wine is one or two days later? With a lot of wines that’s part of the fun.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Howard Cooper » November 17th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm
Markus S wrote:

Also because drunk clients might give one more work.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by M.Kaplan » November 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Markus S wrote:

Why would anyone want to work for a company that doesn’t allow this?

The only time any of my partners objected to my wine in the office was when I ran out of room everywhere else and stashed a few cases in his office.
---Mark

Will Clements

#15 Post by Will Clements » November 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm

My wife and two of her friends drank 6 bottles of
2002 Shafer Hillside Select. She just saw the Shafer and apparently kept grabbing them since she knew where they were in the cellar.
The only bummer was I never got to taste the 2002.
I’m ok with her grabbing the wrong bottles every so often.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 17th, 2019, 6:33 pm

This does not sound like dumpster diving. It sounds like treasure hunting.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Ken Strauss » November 17th, 2019, 6:34 pm

If the bottles are in the office it is free game!
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Markus S

#18 Post by Markus S » November 17th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:33 pm
Markus S wrote:
Lawyers and distributors have the same office practices....plenty of wine and spirits around the office, only difference is distributors have more integrity. [cheers.gif]
That's a good one. Having booze on the job would be terms for termination for many places.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#19 Post by Markus S » November 17th, 2019, 6:43 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 6:33 pm
This does not sound like dumpster diving. It sounds like treasure hunting.
Indeed!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Chris Seiber » November 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm
My wife has free reign
Good Freudian slip there

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 17th, 2019, 6:48 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Markus S wrote:

Why would anyone want to work for a company that doesn’t allow this?
I knew I was in good standing when I joined this Firm, the Chairman had a huge cellar. I recall the first Xmas party at his Club, he broke out maggies - lots of them - of some great Cali classics from the 70s and 80s. That included some early Chuck Wagner. So funny we - a few associates and I had formed a drinking group - were just cutting our teeth on Caymus. Our first wine tasting, yes held in a conference room in our firm, included the 1991 Caymus SS. I recall spending $85 on that wine, partly thinking that I was crazy. That was a good night with great friendships evolving; in fact, am having a business lunch tomorrow with one of those associates, who left years ago to start his own VC firm.

And incidentally, my office seems to be a popular hang-out spot. I used to think it was my sunny disposition, charm and wit, and pearls of wisdom . . .
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on November 17th, 2019, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 17th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Markus S wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 6:42 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:33 pm
Markus S wrote:
That's a good one. Having booze on the job would be terms for termination for many places.
Just to be clear, while one could posit that we are always working, this is after-hours stuff. I think that was clear from the OP. Only in America - that’s probably an exaggeration - is there this kind of taboo.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Kris Patten » November 17th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm
My wife has free reign
Good Freudian slip there
I debated it, but she is a sovereign nation, so it seemed apropos.
ITB

Nathan Smyth

#24 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 17th, 2019, 10:07 pm

...wife and friends opened a large format cause it looked cool and unceremoniously left without drinking it... wife has free reign, way cheaper than divorce...

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Robert Grenley » November 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Came home from work one day many years ago to see the familiar label of an 82 Mouton from across the room. The bottle was standing open, and my wife was enjoying a glass as she made pizza. (My friends will know this was a LONG time ago as I haven’t had any Bordeaux for years!) At least I got to drink it with her.
The next day I set up her part of the cellar and have kept it well stocked ever since.
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#26 Post by Jim Anderson » November 18th, 2019, 12:44 am

House sitter/friend who nearly exclusively liked Italian wine decided to dabble in Burgundy one night. Said she only pulled wines of which their were at least 2. One was a village Vosne. The other...2001 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. She said it was the best wine she had ever had.
Last edited by Jim Anderson on November 18th, 2019, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 18th, 2019, 4:28 am

I guess I’m blessed - and I use that word tongue in cheek - that my wife does not really like many red wines, she will almost always go for white, which we keep in a separate fridge.

I will note, comically, that having gone to Napa and bought a smattering of reds, she has made it very clear these are “her” wines and asked for her own little fridge. It’s cute.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Howard Cooper » November 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 12:44 am
House sitter/friend who nearly exclusively liked Italian wine decided to dabble in Burgundy one night. Said she only pulled wines KD which their were at least 2. One was a village Vosne. The other...2001 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. She said it was the best wine she had ever had.
She has a good palate.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Howard Cooper » November 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Just to be clear, while one could posit that we are always working, this is after-hours stuff.
I assumed that all along.
Howard

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Julian Marshall » November 18th, 2019, 8:28 am

That's the difference over here - nobody would find it odd in the slightest to crack open a bottle during working hours. Admittedly, not on a daily basis, only one day in two.

My only experiences with stash nickers were twofold: my negotiating team cracked open a bottle of Toro which a hotelier had given to me, which I was pleased to see the back of, but on the downside, my boss nicked a bottle from my office to drink with clients, thinking I wouldn't mind - it was a Gruaud 82 I'd just picked up from auction. They liked it.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#31 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 18th, 2019, 9:32 am

It's one of the many nice things about being married to another wine lover/collector. When I'm not around, he takes care to open only the things he knows I don't particularly like, or things we have a lot of.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#32 Post by c fu » November 18th, 2019, 9:36 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 6:46 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Just to be clear, while one could posit that we are always working, this is after-hours stuff.
Since Robert sets his own hours, isn't after-hours whenever he feels like it?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 18th, 2019, 10:42 am

Good point, sir.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#34 Post by c fu » November 18th, 2019, 10:49 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:42 am
Good point, sir.
i know your tricks silly rabbit
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Robert Dentice

#35 Post by Robert Dentice » November 18th, 2019, 10:56 am

After a long night of drinking my wife opened up a blind bottle for a group of friends and it turned about to be a 1989 Gentaz. Luckily I guessed it blind! We still laugh about it. The odd thing is she does not like Syrah.

S. Rash

#36 Post by S. Rash » November 18th, 2019, 11:13 am

My experience is the opposite and I ended up getting more out of the deal than I should have. Had a couple of friends over this weekend, neither of which are big wine drinkers, and I decided to open up a magnum of 2005 Mettler Family Petite Sirah. It was drinking exceptionally well and they didn't even open the bottles of whiskey they brought!! They ended up leaving me the bottle of Blantons and the bottle of Weller they brought!!
S t e p h e n

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by David Glasser » November 18th, 2019, 11:30 am

I wish my wife had an interest in picking out bottles or just opening something when she felt like it. She enjoys wine, has a good palate, but isn’t into the details and is probably a little intimidated by my obsession. She does have a few favorites she’ll ask for by name on occasion, but she doesn’t want to mess with the cellar herself.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Howard Cooper » November 18th, 2019, 11:35 am

c fu wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:36 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Since Robert sets his own hours, isn't after-hours whenever he feels like it?
Robert does not set his own hours - his clients set them.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Howard Cooper » November 18th, 2019, 11:35 am

c fu wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:49 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Good point, sir.
But, Robert does get to set the hours for his associates. [drinkers.gif]
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Howard Cooper » November 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

David Glasser wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:30 am
I wish my wife had an interest in picking out bottles or just opening something when she felt like it. She enjoys wine, has a good palate, but isn’t into the details and is probably a little intimidated by my obsession. She does have a few favorites she’ll ask for by name on occasion, but she doesn’t want to mess with the cellar herself.
My wife tends to like best wines from wineries we have visited, so, in some sense, I have an impact on her favorites.
Howard

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 18th, 2019, 11:40 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:35 am
c fu wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:49 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Good point, sir.
But, Robert does get to set the hours for his associates. [drinkers.gif]
Nah. Alfert is totally laissez faire. They have to figure it out, survive, be productive. If I have to set basic benchmarks, they fail. ;)

Fu would last a week under Alfert, and probably only king enough to tap the office fridge.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Kirk.Grant » November 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Many years ago I was dating a woman while I was going through college that did this with my last bottle of 2004 Didier Dagueneau Buisson Renard on Christmas Eve. I came home from work to find my last bottle of Dagueneau on the kitchen countertop. I think her response was something like, "I opened this because I thought the label was cute. This is really good, why do you only have one bottle? You should buy more."
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#43 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
House sitter/friend...decided to dabble in Burgundy one night. Said she only pulled wines of which their were at least 2.....2001 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. She said it was the best wine she had ever had.
You bet your sweet ass it was! Yum.

My S.O. had a bottom-less "drink now" box which recently got wet and collapsed. Now she slums it by choosing from the designated "drink now" rack. There's never a bottle on it that I wouldn't willingly drink myself. She doesn't touch the other goodies. I'd give her a free hand, but wouldn't want it to become a habit!

Wine Fridge at work?...yeah, that's fair game, unless there's a padlock.

RT

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by J a y H a c k » November 18th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Markus S wrote:

+1, although my wine is better than his. Alf and I might have an agreement on 2010 Paolo Scavino Bricco Ambrogio, of which I do have one bottle in my office. I also have a bottle of Millet whiskey, a bottle of GOT beer, and a bottle of Amaretto that I use for making Sangria, if you prefer those. Unfortunately, the Balvenie 18 is long gone.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Jim Anderson » November 18th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm
Jim Anderson wrote:
House sitter/friend...decided to dabble in Burgundy one night. Said she only pulled wines of which their were at least 2.....2001 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin. She said it was the best wine she had ever had.
You bet your sweet ass it was! Yum.

My S.O. had a bottom-less "drink now" box which recently got wet and collapsed. Now she slums it by choosing from the designated "drink now" rack. There's never a bottle on it that I wouldn't willingly drink myself. She doesn't touch the other goodies. I'd give her a free hand, but wouldn't want it to become a habit!

Wine Fridge at work?...yeah, that's fair game, unless there's a padlock.

RT
I told her the estimated replacement cost. She almost died. She was like a $15 bottle sort of person.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Troy Stark

#46 Post by Troy Stark » November 18th, 2019, 12:35 pm

My wife is WSET level 3 and sells wine for a living, so she gets to pull whatever the hell she wants. :D #blessed
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Alan Rath » November 18th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

So any time after lunch?
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Sarah Kirschbaum

#48 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 18th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:32 am
It's one of the many nice things about being married to another wine lover/collector. When I'm not around, he takes care to open only the things he knows I don't particularly like, or things we have a lot of.
On the flipside, I could definitely get in trouble opening the wrong scotch. Some of our best bottles are ostensibly "mine" because he justified the expense by calling them presents for me. I am not sure he'd appreciate it if I opened some of "my" bottles without him, though. :)

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 18th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Not yet, but I suspect the day will come when my kids get busted for doing this. They will do chores if not employed, or will use their wages to buy replacements if/when this happens; the goal is for them to think twice before doing that again. Restitution will only be part of the punishment --- after all, that would be theft, just like a couple of the stories here.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Howard Cooper » November 18th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Do you guys know that it is possible to get locks for your wine cellars? We have a lock and only my wife and I have a key.
Howard

Return to “Wine Talk”