TN: Double blind Cab based wine tasting

DOUBLE BLIND CAB BASED WINE TASTING - Eddie V’s - Tysons Corner, VA (11/14/2019)

Mark organized a cost share Cabernet Sauvignon based wine tasting. As usual, the results were fascinating and we all ate humble pie.

La Tache
This was a warm up wine.

• 2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    Expressive youthful nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, mocha, espresso, a hint of stem, rose, cinnamon, nut meg, Vosne spice and limestone. Perfectly integrated palate, very finely layered sweet black fruit, silky, precise and detailed, good acidity, strong mineral and a medium to long sweet black fruit driven finish with a hint of stem and cinnamon at the end. The middle palate is slightly hollow. Killer nose (98pts) but slightly hollow palate (92). (95 pts.)

White
I was really impressed by the 13 Aubert.

• 2008 Marcassin Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Youthful mineral driven nose displaying ripe yellow and white fruit, apple, pear, pineapple, lemon crud, smoked oyster, burnt sugar, spicy spices and wet stone. Excellent concentration, finely layered concentrated ripe yellow fruit, oily and rich but also cool and fresh, medium acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with burnt sugar and spicy spices at the end. Although it is fresh and cool, there is noticeable heat at the end. A classic Marcassin so YMMV. (94 pts.)
  • NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Grand Cru Lieux-dits Extra Brut Ay La Côte Faron - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Beautifully mature nose displaying decadent yellow fruit with a hint of red, peach, candied orange peel, a hint of cherry, brioche, candied ginger, roasted almond, hefeweizen, honey and mineral. Fully integrated palate, nicely layered concentrated decadent yellow fruit, rich and warm, fine medium abundant mousse, bright acidity and mineral and a long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with a hint of brioche and ginger candy at the end. This bottle is rich and yeasty. If you are a fan of Selosse’s oxidative style, you need to try this. Taste like a natural wine. (95 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Youthful yet perfect harmonious nose displaying pure succulent white fruit, apple, pear, lemon candy, honey, a hint of flint, cool mountain stream and subtle wet stone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered white fruit, exceptional energy, harmony and precision, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless long pure sweet white fruit driven finish with wet stone at the end. This is a classic slightly understated Corton Charlie. Served a bit too warm yet still beautiful showing. (95 pts.)
  • 2013 Aubert Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Exquisite nose displaying pure succulent white fruit, pear, lemon curd, lemon candy, a hint of pineapple, beeswax, honeysuckle, a hint of flint, saline and limestone. Exceptional balance, succulent pure white fruit, surprisingly elegant and precise, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless long white fruit driven finish with strong limestone at the end. I dare say this is very Burgundian. Really exceptional domestic Chardonnay. (98 pts.)
  • 2017 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Very rich nose initially. With air, medium expressive nose displaying ripe yet pure and succulent white and yellow fruit, granny smith, lemon curd, lanoline, oyster shell and wet stone. Excellent concentration, packed slightly coiled citrus fruit, good focus, precision and energy and a medium to long succulent white fruit driven finish with lanoline at the end. Although very youthful, drinking nicely. I imagine this will go beautifully with raw oysters. (92 pts.)

Blind flight 1
They were all primary. It wasn’t too hard to guess the region.

• 2016 Outpost Cabernet Sauvignon True Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain
    Explosive nose displaying intense black fruit crème de cassis, blackberry liqueur, blueberry pie, licorice, milk chocolate, a hint of lead pencil, clove, sweet spices and earth. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated ripe black fruit, dense and unctuous yet silky, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, tannins are masked by opulent concentrated fruit, and a long concentrated black fruit driven finish with dark milk chocolate and clove at the end. This taste like a big Napa cult cab, clearly more stuff here than the next two wines. If you are a fan of Napa cult cab, this may be a great QPR wine for you. (95 pts.)
  • 2015 Lewelling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon St. Helena - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
    Very primary nose displaying sweet black fruit, crushed blackberry, blackberry liqueur, cappuccino, milk chocolate, black pepper, sweet spices, lead pencil and limestone. Medium concentration, especially compare to the first wine, finely layered ripe roasted black fruit, silky and polished, bright acidity, nice mineral presence, fine tannins and a medium to long ripe black fruit driven finish with cappuccino at the end. The middle palate is slightly hollow. Very well crafted wine but lacks concentration compare to the first wine. (93 pts.)
  • 2016 Caterwaul Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Initially similar to the second wine. Very primary expressive nose displaying ripe black fruit, black cherry, blackberry jam, blueberry pie, licorice, lead pencil, sweet spices and crushed rocks. Very good concentration, very finely layered ripe blue fruit, silky, slightly lean and polished, bright acidity, good mineral presence, fine tannins and a long ripe black fruit driven finish with lead pencil and licorice at the end. Similar to the second wine, lacks concentration especially compare to the first wine. (92 pts.)

Blind flight 2
The 04 Latour was a classic Pauillac.

• 2013 Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Block 1 - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley
    Expressive nose displaying sweet red, blue and black fruit, cherry pie, blackberry, black cherry, lead pencil, incense, sweet spices and earth. Medium concentration, ripe red and blue fruit, silky and polished, good acidity and mineral and a medium to long ripe red fruit driven finish with lead pencil and sweet spices at the end. This taste like a $30-40 Modern Bordeaux that is very ripe and trying too hard. (90 pts.)
  • 2016 Château Malescot St. Exupéry - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Classic Bordeaux nose displaying crème de cassis, blackberry, lead pencil, light caramel, sweet spices and earth. Very harmonious palate, very finely layered cassis fruit, silky and polished, bright acidity, strong mineral, nicely integrated tannins and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. Even at this young age, a classic claret. My guess is the lower tier classified growth. Very nice but totally overshadowed by the next wine. (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    The first smell convinces me that this is a high end Bordeaux from a good year. Youthful perfectly harmonious nose displaying crème de cassis, crushed blueberry, light caramel, a hint of cedar, tobacco, lead pencil and mineral. Impeccable balance, layers upon layers of hedonistic black fruit, silky, almost weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet black fruit driven finish with caramel and tobacco at the end. My guess is the 09 or 10 Pauillac. perhaps Pontet Canet. Excellent showing. (98 pts.)

Blind flight 3
Unfortunately, the 15 RdV confirmed that it is not possible to producer a great red in Virginia, well made but lacks the material. I really liked the 14 Gard.

• 2015 RdV Vineyards Lost Mountain - USA, Virginia, Northern Virginia, Fauquier County
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit, cherry, plum, a hint of cassis, caramel, eucalyptus and limestone. Medium concentration, sweet red fruit, slightly lean and green, hollow middle, soft and subtle, good acidity and mineral and a medium red fruit driven finish with a hint of green and cedar at the end. This is neither Bordeaux nor Cali, may be south American. This is well made but lacks material. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Gård Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon Lawrence Vineyards - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
    Expressive nose displaying ripe lack fruit, blackberry, a hint of cassis, black cherry, milk chocolate, cappuccino, sweet spices and earth. Very good concentration, nicely layered sweet black fruit, rich, round and silky, good acidity and mineral, fine tannins and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. This could be a Napa cab. Excellent showing. (96 pts.)
  • 2015 Big Flower Wines Cabernet Sauvignon - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch
    Expressive nose displaying rich concentrated black fruit, blackberry, blueberry jam, a hint of cassis, strong spearmint, ash, lavender and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered black fruit, silky and polished, medium acidity, strong mineral presence and a medium to long black fruit driven finish. The strong spearmint note makes me to guess as a high end South American Cab/Malbec. (94 pts.)

Blind flight 4
I initially guessed correctly as South African but changed to South American.

• 2015 Mvemve Raats MR de Compostella - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch
    Similar profile as the wine 9. Medium expressive nose displaying ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, licorice, ash, a hint of green, strong spearmint and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered ripe black fruit, silky and polished, medium acidity and mineral and a medium to long black fruit driven finish. (93 pts.)

De Fargues
This was really delicious.

• 2005 Château de Fargues - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Intense nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, dry apricot and peach, pineapple, mango, strong ginger candy, strong botrytis, crème brulee, butterscotch and sweet spices. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of opulent slightly dry yellow fruit, unctuous, oily and opulent, medium acidity and a long concentrated yellow fruit driven finish. Really yummy. (94 pts.)

Jailbreak
I think I am bias but I really loved this beer.

• NV Jailbreak / Evil Twin Brewing Imperial Stout Last Chance to Throw Out Ideas… - USA, Maryland, Eastern Shore
    Opulent complex nose displaying peach and apricot, roasted malt, molasses, espresso, dark spices, damp cellar and earth. Really rich and concentrated yet beautifully balanced and very light. I am certainly not a beer guy but this is simply the best Porter/Stout of my life. Perhaps I am bias as Justin is a good friend. This was aged in SQN and Herman Story Syrah barrels. Joint project with Evil Twin brewery. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice to see the $60 Lewelling show well against the $120 Outpost True.

Dennis,
The first flight seemed easy to guess as Napa. I was able to get to Pauillac for the 04 Latour. but guess as the 09 or 10 Pontet Canet. Mark T also posted his scores on CT. The Gard Lawrence Vineyards was a pleasant surprise, the best point per $ ratio by a big margin. You should try Justin’s syrah barrel aged stout.

If you enjoy Napa Cult cab, there is a significant gap between the two wines.

Fair enough but I’ll take still take the Lewelling 2 pack over one Outpost True any day.

Speaking of, next time open a Wight, which is Lewelling’s “reserve” (for lack of a better term) they sell alongside the regular Napa for $114 per pair (not including the 10% case discount on 6 pairs).

Nice to see the RdV included. I had high hopes after the release of the 2009 Lost Mountain but nothing I have tried since has thrilled me while pricing has increased. As you note, good but lacking. I stopped buying a few vintages ago and haven’t had the 2015 but your note seems in line with prior vintages. I am curious about future vintages now that the vines are past the first 12 years. My vines planted the same year just started to show more balanced growth and not so much vigor. But given the pricing, I will just watch for more notes as I am not a buyer here.

The group scores were as follows:

1. Outpost True Vineyard AVG 93.42 SD 3.154
  2. Lewelling AVG 91.71 SD 2.497
  3. Caterwaul AVG 92.28 SD 1.799
  4. Sheridan Block 1 AVG 91.71 SD 2.69
  5. Chateau Malescot AVG 91.42 SD 2.699
  6. Latour AVG 93.71 SD 2.497
  7. RDV AVG 92.14 SD 3.67
  8. Gard AVG 93.85 SD 2.544
  9. Big Flower AVG 92.71 SD 1.889

The La Tache as a warmup. :joy::joy::joy: