Burg-o-philes; Tell me about Pierre Bourée Fils

Popped a bottle of 2015 Pierre Bourée Fils Bourgogne Rouge. First bottle ever from this producer. Nice and light style, good acidity. Doesn’t wow, but certainly passable. The very, very faintest hint of bandaid on the nose suggests Brett could be an issue in the future.

So, tell me about this producer, please and thanks.

3 Likes

Shitty in past but allegedly improving. Be careful of the cheap old stuff. Same w Camus.

1 Like

Man, haven’t had one in YEARS. Maybe the 1985? Nothing memorable.

When did they allegedly begin to turn around (for both Pierre Bouree et Fils and Camus)?

1 Like

Well, I’ve had some solid Bourees. As for Camus, they have been hit or miss, but we had a 2005 Camus Latricieres-Chambertin at a burg dinner that was really, really nice.

2 Likes

Now there is a name I have not heard in quite some time.

When I was in college in Austin, I belonged to a Burgundy tasting group where I got much of my initial experience in young and old DRC, Roumier, Leroy, Ramonet, Niellon, Angerville and many others. For some reason beyond my knowledge (this was late 90s), there was a whole lot of late 80s Bouree in the cellars of Austin collectors- notably the 1987 vintage- and so the wines made regular appearances among their more storied bretheren.

I would have to dig deep into paper archives for specific TNs, but as a general rule I enjoyed the wines very much. I found them to be much like Maume or old style Faiveley- very heavy on game and animal hair tones with good meaty textures. The 1987s were quite nice across the board at 10 years of age- the vintage suited the style for sure. They were more engaging and “comforting” in a seat by the fireside sense than Maume or Faiveley, but not quite at that level qualitatively. On par with Pierre Gelin perhaps- though the Gelin equivalents were more full bodied.

If I had been truly moved by them, I would have gone out and found some for myself- but at least I can report I enjoyed them when they appeared at table. I have no idea how they are made today, but the examples I am used to would not find much favor- if any- in the current marketplace. Still, on a cold night with a rich boeuf bourguignon, a perfect choice for a filling and relaxing meal.

I have no experience with anything after 2002, but older bottles can be everything from gorgeous to totally off.
A 1985 Charmes-Chambertin, 1978 Richebourg and Gevrey Cazetieres, 1969 Clos Vougeot … were absolutely fine …

I don’t have any in the cellar any more but some have been quite good.
I have never had a good Camus.

I’ve had a couple of his 99 Volnay 1ers; very nice pleasant wines that don’t have the depth you’d hope from that vintage, but not disappointments on their face.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

As a further update on the 2015 Bourgogne, it really opened up and transformed into quite a nice bottle, especially given the price (was maybe $25 shipped?).

Have a couple bottles of their 2010 Corton. Am tempted to open one now to see how it is.

I think they make a fair amount from purchased grapes, but the domain wines are much better. E.g. Gevrey Clos de la Justice can be very good. I think they use a lot of whole clusters, which I find imparts a textured “dark” component to the wines that can take a while to come around.

2014 Meursault Perrieres is outstanding.

2 Likes

The older wines can be good. Had a 1950 Corton-Charlemagne five years ago that was remarkable.

Finished the bottle, after 3 days in the fridge. May have been even better.

Anyone tried their later vintages? Cazetiers 2020?

Yeah, curious too.

Gilman seems to be a big fan of more recent stuff, like some 2012s.

Camus has not turned around.

I recently had the 2017 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos de la Justice. 13% abv and already approachably good drinking, though it might not have the structure for extended aging.

1 Like

Thanks for the note, Nico. I wonder if your perception regarding age-ability could be more related to the vintage than the producer. Most of the 2017s we’ve had are drinking really well right now and are on the pale, easy drinking side.