It pays to peek!!!!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

It pays to peek!!!!

#1 Post by Len Stevens » November 15th, 2019, 3:08 pm

So I joined this site about the same time I joined my local Costco. The selection isn't great at all, but on occasion I come across something I enjoy at a fair price and I stock up a bit. This site has been a true joy and I check in a few times a day minimum. Anyway, I was really eager to try the 08 Dom after reading the effusive praise on this site, but all my store seemed to have was the 09. I enjoy sparkling, especially grower Champagne, but I'm not a baller like some of the people on here, I owned a wine bar & bistro for 9 years and was lucky enough to pass level III of the MS exam. Two of my friends passed the actual MS. I'm in no way bragging, just pointing out that I'm not a novice. Anyway, I consigned myself that I would probably not get to acquire any 08. So today i looked in the "cage" and per usual, they had a couple of 09's facing out with several bottles behind. So I tought "What the heck" and asked the cashier if I could peek behind...and sure enough!, there were 6 bottles of the 08 Dom for only $145 + 6% tax. Of course, I bought all six!

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: It pays to peek!!!!

#2 Post by alan weinberg » November 15th, 2019, 3:14 pm

nice snag! Welcome.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by John Morris » November 15th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Congrats!
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by R. Frankel » November 15th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Great story.
Rich Frankel

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Kris Patten » November 15th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Cool, I was in a QFC yesterday that had some 1995 Krug in their cellar and randomly asked the manager to unlock it and see what was behind it as there were 5 bottles, lo and behold 3 bottles of 1996 Krug. Just gotta wait for holiday 30% off 6 bottles and scoop them up for $210 per.
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#6 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 15th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Cool, I was in a QFC yesterday that had some 1995 Krug in their cellar and randomly asked the manager to unlock it and see what was behind it as there were 5 bottles, lo and behold 3 bottles of 1996 Krug. Just gotta wait for holiday 30% off 6 bottles and scoop them up for $210 per.
WOW!!! I'd have snagged the '95 also - LOVE that vintage from the big houses
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 15th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Level 3? So you’re a master somm?
Len Stevens wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 3:08 pm
So I joined this site about the same time I joined my local Costco. The selection isn't great at all, but on occasion I come across something I enjoy at a fair price and I stock up a bit. This site has been a true joy and I check in a few times a day minimum. Anyway, I was really eager to try the 08 Dom after reading the effusive praise on this site, but all my store seemed to have was the 09. I enjoy sparkling, especially grower Champagne, but I'm not a baller like some of the people on here, I owned a wine bar & bistro for 9 years and was lucky enough to pass level III of the MS exam. Two of my friends passed the actual MS. I'm in no way bragging, just pointing out that I'm not a novice. Anyway, I consigned myself that I would probably not get to acquire any 08. So today i looked in the "cage" and per usual, they had a couple of 09's facing out with several bottles behind. So I tought "What the heck" and asked the cashier if I could peek behind...and sure enough!, there were 6 bottles of the 08 Dom for only $145 + 6% tax. Of course, I bought all six!

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Kris Patten » November 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Level 3? So you’re a master somm?
Len Stevens wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 3:08 pm
3 = Advanced (Green Pin)
4 = Master
ITB

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Anton D » November 15th, 2019, 10:48 pm

I love tales of unexpected finds! Good for you!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mark Y » November 15th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
which ah.. qfc is it? ;)
Y.e.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Kris Patten » November 16th, 2019, 8:07 am

Mark Y wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
which ah.. qfc is it? ;)
You have a 1 in 58 shot..... [rofl.gif]
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”