TN: 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
eweininger

Re: TN: 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - its all about BALANCE

#101 Post by eweininger »

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Sh@n A wrote: March 6th, 2020, 8:48 pm Anyone have the 2016 Vietti Castiglione to compare against the Produtorri? Similarish price point (Vietti seems to be coming mid-$40s).

Or a general comment on how the Produtorri will stack up against normales from the '16 vintage?
Bump on this question. I've stocked up on the '16 Produttori, but wondering if I should buy more or go in for a case of the '16 Vietti Castiglione?
I picked up a few bottles of the Vietti the other day. Costs $54 locally. Certainly a different expression than the Produttori, with a little more density and a darker fruit profile, but I've enjoyed it enough in the past to grab a few 16s without bothering to open one. I assume that the serious Piedmont folks here are fans (at the given the price point), but will, of course, be curious to see what they have to say.
Elliot

Martin Zwick

#102 Post by Martin Zwick »

Had this Barbaresco in the last 2 days and I really recommend to open a bottle in the coming days, as it is such open and a great pleasure to drink. Why wait, I am not 20 anymore. haha

Besides the classic flavors of tar, roses, strawberry and licorice, the wine has a wonderful balance&grace.

Anyway one of the best value in Piedmont for 30€ in Germany.

93-94/100

Salute,
Martin
Last edited by Martin Zwick on May 21st, 2020, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
„ We are stuck inside a pandemic movie and an American version of “The Death of Stalin.”

Bob Sampson

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Sh@n A »

eweininger wrote: April 10th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Sh@n A wrote: March 6th, 2020, 8:48 pm Anyone have the 2016 Vietti Castiglione to compare against the Produtorri? Similarish price point (Vietti seems to be coming mid-$40s).

Or a general comment on how the Produtorri will stack up against normales from the '16 vintage?
Bump on this question. I've stocked up on the '16 Produttori, but wondering if I should buy more or go in for a case of the '16 Vietti Castiglione?
I picked up a few bottles of the Vietti the other day. Costs $54 locally. Certainly a different expression than the Produttori, with a little more density and a darker fruit profile, but I've enjoyed it enough in the past to grab a few 16s without bothering to open one. I assume that the serious Piedmont folks here are fans (at the given the price point), but will, of course, be curious to see what they have to say.
I tried the Vietti and agree with your comments. That is the one I am going to cellar. Excellent value on the Vietti as well (I paid a little less than 50)
/ @ g r @ \

Martin Zwick

Re: TN: 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco

#104 Post by Martin Zwick »

P.S.

I had a bottle at the week-end and I have to say it looks like that it is starting to shut down. Much better 1 year ago.
„ We are stuck inside a pandemic movie and an American version of “The Death of Stalin.”

Bob Sampson

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by F.Daner »

I had the 12 this weekend and it really was in a great spot. I expect to leave the 16's alone for a few years. What a vintage for Piedmont !
Martin Zwick wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:19 am P.S.

I had a bottle at the week-end and I have to say it looks like that it is starting to shut down. Much better 1 year ago.
Fred

L. Bryant

#106 Post by L. Bryant »

So I stocked up on the 2015 normales and my cellar is already bulging. I've not yet been able to taste the vintages side-by-side and have no experience to know how they'd compare "at peak", but can anyone attest as to whether the 16's are THAT much better/special than 2015?
L a n d r e s

Otto Forsberg

#107 Post by Otto Forsberg »

L. Bryant wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:44 pm So I stocked up on the 2015 normales and my cellar is already bulging. I've not yet been able to taste the vintages side-by-side and have no experience to know how they'd compare "at peak", but can anyone attest as to whether the 16's are THAT much better/special than 2015?
I have, but the 2015 was corked, so not much data on that.

However, in that tasting 2016 was simply outstanding. Seemed to be the unanimous favorite of the younger PdBs we had there. The hype is real.

I haven't tasted many Langhe reds where I'd say 2015 would be more ageworthy than 2016. Most wines feel like the 2016s are still going to be mere babies by the time the 2015s are at peak. As far as I've tasted, I haven't been particularly fond of 2015 and not have bought really any, preferring to taste them rather than buy them.

L. Bryant

#108 Post by L. Bryant »

Otto Forsberg wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:33 pm
L. Bryant wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:44 pm So I stocked up on the 2015 normales and my cellar is already bulging. I've not yet been able to taste the vintages side-by-side and have no experience to know how they'd compare "at peak", but can anyone attest as to whether the 16's are THAT much better/special than 2015?
I have, but the 2015 was corked, so not much data on that.

However, in that tasting 2016 was simply outstanding. Seemed to be the unanimous favorite of the younger PdBs we had there. The hype is real.

I haven't tasted many Langhe reds where I'd say 2015 would be more ageworthy than 2016. Most wines feel like the 2016s are still going to be mere babies by the time the 2015s are at peak. As far as I've tasted, I haven't been particularly fond of 2015 and not have bought really any, preferring to taste them rather than buy them.
Thanks and noted! I saw your vertical notes and was also bummed that the 15 was corked :/
L a n d r e s

Return to “Wine Talk”