Your favorite USA Gamay?

Turkey Day is right around the corner and the poster child grape for Thanksgiving is Gamay so what are you drinking?

Sure, there is an endless supply of outstanding quality Cru Beaujolais that would be perfect for your Thanksgiving meal except for the fact that they’re French.

This Thanksgiving #drinkUSA.

So what are your favorite USA expressions of Gamay? If you’ve never had a USA Gamay that impressed do you believe that quality potential is possible?

USA Gamay To Try - Running List…
Martin Woods, Willamette Valley, Oregon
Shelldrake Point, Finger Lakes, NY
Arnot Roberts, El Dorado, California
Edmunds St John Bone Jolly, El Dorado, Caliornia – Matt Wood
Brickhouse, Ribbon Ridge, Oregon - RT
Belle Pente, Willamette Valley, Oregon - RT
Vincent, Willamette Valley, Oregon - RT
Division Villages “Les Petits Fers”, Oregon – Greg T
Ayres, Chehalem Mountains, Oregon – Greg T
Bow and Arrow, Willamette Valley, Oregon – Greg T
Blue Mountain, Okanagan Valley, Canada – Greg T
Walter Scott, Chehalem Mountains, Oregon - James Lyon

Edmunds St John Bone Jolly is always nice

ESJ for sure. Also Brick House, Belle Pente and Vincent in OR. I’m sure I’m forgetting some other good OR options.

RT

Division Villages Fers - from Columbia Valley, doesn’t have the candied quality some Gamay has. Seems almost like it could be from the Loire, with an herbal note. Interesting version, but good.

Ayres in Willamette Valley made a pretty nice one, much more like you’d expect from Beaujolais.

Failla also in Willamette made a really good one but it’s hard to go wrong with any wine from him. Lots of acidity in this one.

Bow and Arrow, also from Wilamette was pretty good.

And as mentioned, Edmunds St. John.

And I had a couple in British Columbia but I think Blue Mountain made the best of those I’ve tried. No reason it can’t do well.

If you’ve never had a USA Gamay that impressed do you believe that quality potential is possible?

I don’t see how someone could have any negative opinion. What would it possibly be based on? You mentioned one from the Finger Lakes - that’s an area I’d look at and also Michigan. The main problem is that even though the Beaujolais wines are increasing in price, the domestic versions tend to be more expensive relatively speaking.

I’ll be drinking a Walter Scott Gamay next Thursday or the following Thursday for Thanksgiving. If I’m not mistaken, Walter Scott started producing a Gamay in 2017.

In addition to the fine Oregon folks mentioned upthread, Evening Land and Chehalem make Gamay as well.

James

ESJ

Pricing seems to be in line or more expensive than Cru Bojo. When I visited the Finger Lakes and tasted their Gamay I was surprised to find out that only two producers make a Gamay.

Can second Brick House

ESJ is the benchmark in California. Plantings are expanding in CA and OR, where it’s kind of a new thing. Kind of, as in the potential is recognized in both states. What’s good is it’s a geeky thing, not following market demand from some movie about slovenly sad sack drunks. So, the producers who are taking it on are pursuing it from their own passions. I’m sure that’s true in the other states, too, so your batting average should be good. In CA, Steve is in a leading role that the others are following. So, why not start with his?

Will also throw in a vote for Brick House. He’s been making that wine since 1996 so I think he has it figured out. Another wine to look for (probably NW only) is Martin Woods. Evan Martin is the former assistant at Belle Pente and his Gamays (he makes several) are stellar.

Some great producers and wines already mentioned but my choice is the Jolie Laide Gamay made with fruit from the Barsotti Vineyard. Here is my tasting from the Jolir Laide Open House this past May.

“2018 Gamay Barsotti Vineyard El Dorado County: Grown at high elevation in the beautiful red granitic soils of the Sierra Foothills. Picked in two separate passes, one early and one a bit later makes for a wine a bit riper and fleshed out than in years passed. Started by carbonic maceration then crushed by foot. Berry, floral and herbal aroma. Young with grapy, raspberry fruit supported by earthy, floral and herb notes. Excellent already, goes down very easy which is good and bad :slight_smile: Another wine I should have bought more of but also sold out. 12.0% ABV”

ESJ and Division.

Walter Scott…ordered some, already consumed all.

Dang, need to go try the Walter Scott Gamays… :frowning:

That said… Bojo is pretty damn good… and at $20-30 a bottle, makes it hard to really go New World…

The Jolie Laide Gamay was one of the first I thought of as well. Delicious and very well composed.

Another worth consideration is a new find for me, Story of Soil Gamay Martain Vineyard Santa Barbara County.

I don’t want to be a stick in the mud, but bojo gamay is cheap and better than most of what I have tried from stateside. ESJ might be the best, but it is still not in the same league/$ as the best bojo’s that are out there. I’ll drink my Thivin on Thanksgiving and be okay with it.

TW

I liked the Arnot Roberts better than the ESJ, but those are the only two that I’ve tried. Gros Ventre has a pinot/gamay blend that looks intriguing.

Lots of good suggestions. I’d add Grochau and a new producer in McMinnville called Pray Tell. Their 2017 debut was fantastic.

I’m excited that the Willamette Valley is emerging as the leader of Gamay in North America. Not the only place for it, for sure, but is there a more exciting region in NA for Gamay?

Since you’re compiling a list, Tessier is very good. Also from Barsotti.