TN: Eight 2016 Barbarescos tasted blind

My monthly blind tasting group sampled eight 2016 Barbarescos last night, priced from $35 to $62. Not the heavy hitters, but a decent cross section by site, cru versus normale and winemaking style.

These showed much better than the wines at the big Jancis Robinson-Chambers Street walk-around tasting last month. (The only wine I tasted both places was the Moccagatta.) Better stemware and being able to sit down with them over two hours or so with food available made a big difference. The wines are still pretty closed, though, and thus somewhat difficult to get a good read on, so my top scores were relatively conservative at this point.

I opened the bottles about an hour ahead, and decanted half of each into another bottle for serving. (We use a set of identical bottles to preserve the anonymity during the tasting.) We poured the rest of each bottle into its serving bottle shortly before we began. That seemed to work well to open these up.

Listed in order of the group’s ranking, with the village from which the fruit came in parentheses:

Cascina delle Rose – Tre Stelle (Barbaresco) $60
I was less keen on this than the group, ranking it 5th. I found this a bit less transparent – less precise – than most, and with less fruit. Good depth, but a little lacking in fruit at this stage, and no very distinct elements. Over the evening, my scores ranged from 88 to 90-. This was a group favorite, though, with several first-places and at least one second-place vote.

Sottimano – Pajoré (Treiso) $60
Beautiful, complex nose, with just a touch of oak emerging with air. (After a relatively long/traditional 25-day maceration, the wine ages 24 months in Francois Freres barriques, 15% new.) This was pretty reserved at first, and a little lighter in body than some, but beautifully balanced. The oak didn’t interfere with the nebbiolo character. Fairly tannic on the finish, but balanced.

Produttori di Barbaresco normale (Barbaresco) $35
As good as you would expect/hope for in an outstanding year. Fairly ripe sour cherries on the nose, and quite intense. There was something almost oak-like at one point, though it sees no small oak. A quinine scent emerged later that I liked. Pretty concentrated in the mouth, with red fruits and an appealing sweet thread. I got that quinine note in the mouth, too – both flavor and bitterness. Long, somewhat tannic (as one would expect) but balanced finish. Though the price has risen in recent years, this is still the real thing and a great value.

Cigliuti – Serraboella (Neive) $62
I ranked this first, scoring it 92+, but I wanted to like it more, given how good Cigliuti’s ‘13s were, and its ’16 Langhe Nebbiolo. Darker in hue, and very intense on the nose. Black cherry hints there. Very concentrated in the mouth – more like a stereotypical Barolo, with pretty ripe darker fruits (think black cherry or plum). Masculine. Chocolate notes. Long, dense, ripe finish.
I felt I might have liked this better if it were just a tad less ripe and a tad less concentrated. At the price ($62), I’ll pass. I like the Produttori as much, and I liked the $40 Cortese Rabajà I tasted at the Jancis/Chambers St. event even more.

Castello di Verduno normale (Barbaresco) $42
Lovely, complex, rather feminine nose (more reddish fruits, less ripeness). Fairly concentrated in the mouth, but not that interesting. Their Rabajà-Bas cru bottling is a big step up from this.

Barale – Serraboella (Neive) $40
Somewhat of a disappointment, given how Chambers Street has lauded these wines. Lighter in color, with a nice reddish-fruited scent that I called “piercing” and “crystalline.” Medium-light bodied that seemed balanced early on but seemed to thin out with air – the opposite of what I’d expect. A tad dry on the finish – not enough fruit. My score dropped from 90 to 88 (averaged in the table below). This might flesh out with time. That can happen with seemingly light, high-acid wines like this. But I don’t have any history with these wines, so I’m not sure.

Moccagatta – Bric Balin (part of Muncogota) (Barbaresco) $47
I used to like these wines, which in the past showed some oak without being dominated by it.

Perhaps my tastes have changed. Or perhaps they’ve gone to the dark side. In any event, this was a crime against the nebbiolo grape. “Pow! Oak!” I wrote of the aroma. All oak, no nebbiolo. Dill even emerged with air. All oak all the time on the palate, too. “Oak sits on top of the wine,” someone else said. It obliterated any character from the grape. Were it not for the tannin and acid, you might have guessed this was a Napa cab. All oak and tannin through the finish, too.

In the end, this only narrowly edged ahead of the badly corked De Forville for last place in the group’s rankings! What a pity!

FYI, this wine showed the same way at the tasting last month, and Subu Ramachandran posted on a similar impression from another recent tasting.

De Forville normale $35
I was a bit rushed when I first opened these and didn’t screen them carefully enough for corkiness. This wine had a good dose of it. It’s a pity because it seemed that there was a very solid, balanced wine with good concentration beneath the TCA. Their '16 nebbiolo is killer stuff, too. Sigh.

Here are the group’s rankings and mine.
2016 Barbaresco tasting - group scores.JPG
2016 Barbaresco tasting - JM scores.JPG

I had the 2016 Produttori blind last Thursday night. I liked it very much. My tasting group uses a 20 point system, and I gave it 16.5. The overall group averaged 17.2 points. It was in a mixed tasting of all sorts of wines, but my notes (and my guess) scream Nebbiolo.

I recently discoverd la Cascina delle Rose :
The Barbaresco 2012 is excellent (17,5/20)
The Barbaresco Tre Stelle 2015 is excellent too (17,5/20)

What did Chambers say about the Barale? It sounds like you tasted it at the Chambers tasting as well, and liked it perhaps more then? Was not wowed with the Cascina Rose, but do think the Tre Stelle was their better bottle in 2016 by more than a notch. Looking forward to a Produttori on Sunday (but it won’t be compared against other Barbarescos)

Yes, I did like the Barale better at the tasting last month, I realized when I went back over those notes. I’ll retry the leftovers tonight of all of them and see how they show.

Young nebbiolo can be furtive – hiding one moment, exposing itself another. Approach-avoidance wines, you could say. You kind of have to chase them in and out of the bushes and be humble about your ability to pass a definitive judgment.

Had three barbarescos on Monday night. Was not taking notes and was only given about 1 oz pour or so, which I just really struggle with getting a good note on. Generally, though, my impressions were:

2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco – Bright cherry, potpourri, rose. Great lift and acidity with very good balance and tannins that suggest 10+ years of patience will be rewarded.

2015 Machesi di Gresy Barbaresco Martinenga – Cherry, spice, and licorice on this one. Perhaps a hair sweeter fruit, but not necessarily more complex than the Produttori.

2015 Bruno Giacosa Asili Barbaresco – Darker fruit profile, bit of tar and florals, good acidic balance, but fairly massive tannins. Darker on the spectrum, but hard to rationalize the tremendous jump in tariff given the quality level of these three wines.

A bit different in style, but the Produttori certainly held its own and was the obvious QPR winner at $38.

This is disappointing, as I love their bottlings :frowning:

You’re in good company. This was the group’s favorite. Just not mine. Perhaps it’s just being furtive.

John, what do you mean by quinine aroma? To my understanding, quinine is a completely odorless compound and hasn’t got really any taste of its own, besides the noticeable bitterness.

Perhaps that’s true, but this smelled like tonic water. Not sure what else is in tonic other than quinine.

Lots of things. Tonic water without any flavorings smells like water. Usually tonic waters are flavored with different flavors, but since I don’t know what tonic water you are referring to, I really can’t know. Regular Schweppes Tonic Water is - to my understanding - mildly flavored with citrus fruit aromas, which is the most common flavoring.

Yes, evidently some citrus element is common in tonic water, though I don’t perceive tonic water’s aroma (or the scent on this Barbaresco) as citrus.

Poking around on the Internet, it seems that quinine itself has no aroma, but the bark of the cinchona tree, from which it is derived, is described as aromatic, so perhaps the scent I’m referring to derives from something else extracted along with the quinine.

In any event, I think anyone who has sniffed tonic water will know the aroma I’m talking about.

Last night I tasted back through the (refrigerated) leftovers. I expected that some might change markedly. I was surprised at how little change there was.

The Barale did flesh out a bit (it seemed very light on day 1), but the finish still seemed a bit short. Likewise, the Castelli di Verduno showed a nice, riper/sweeter fruit than at first. But I didn’t really change my overall assessment of either wine.

The Produttori seemed to gain in complexity. But, again, not a radical change overnight. It really is outstanding.

The Moccagatta was, well, just as clumsily oaky as ever. (Since the tasting, I’ve learned that Martina Minuto, the daughter of one of the brothers who had run the winery for decades, has now taken over.)

I call this smell and texture quinine too but am now curious if it’s actually something else.

John, I have a 96 Moccagata Basarin we should open at some point if you remind me.

Ha! I have one, too! But that would be fun, whose ever bottle it is. My note from another bottle three years ago:
“Oak is apparent on nose. Nice enough but not a great deal of nebbiolo character.”

I’ll host if you spring for the truffles. [wink.gif]

I also have the '01 Bric Balin, which would be worth checking out, too.

I get what John is talking about here. It’s the vaguely Chinato-like scent present in some Barolo and Barbaresco even though they’re not Chinatos.

It might be because many tonic waters have other aroma ingredients as well, and the citrus aromas used are usually very mild, so people don’t really associate them with citrus fruits - at least straight away. However, as stated above, tonic waters are aromatized, since plain water with quinine wouldn’t really smell of anything.

Poking around on the Internet, it seems that quinine itself has no aroma, but the bark of the cinchona tree, from which it is derived, is described as aromatic, so perhaps the scent I’m referring to derives from something else extracted along with the quinine.

No, tonic water does not see any cinchona tree. The quinine that is extracted and used in foodstuff is pretty much pure quinine, i.e. it has no other stuff extracted along the way. However, Barolo Chinato sees some cinchona (hence the name), so if you’re familiar with that style of wine, you know how the bark smells like - and it’s nothing like tonic water (although tons of herbs and other stuff are used there as well, which mask the most obvious cinchona aromas).

In any event, I think anyone who has sniffed tonic water will know the aroma I’m talking about.

Agree. However, in my own tasting notes I’d use “tonic water” instead of “quinine” for the aforementioned reasons. Preferably I’d even include the brand and type of tonic water, since I’ve smelled numerous different tonic waters with wildly different aromas, so to me plain “tonic water” is still a rather vague descriptor.

I don’t know John, but I think you have been outed for being insufficiency precise! :wink: